• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

advice on first welder purchace

Ned

Loc.
Hollywood Beach
I have never welded before, and I need to attach a used winshild to the good piano hinge still on my bronco, not exacly the best metal to work with, but not the worst. I was given some advice to buy / borrow an aceteline torch and to buy some brazing welding sticks to do this. I gues I could call a mobil welding service to do it, and it would probably be cheaper than an inital buy in, but I have floor boards that need to be replaced in the future and I think I might be ready to take my projects to the next level. Any advice or comments would be welcome. Keep in mind that I do not have deep pockets.

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Have you thought about just attaching the WS with some metal screws. That way you can take it off later without having to cut the welds.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I bought a Hobart 140 with gas and it will do most anything you need for a bronco. I wish I had bought a bigger one for other projects, but for bronco work, it was plenty.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
For a first time welder, I suggest Miller, Lincoln, Hobart in that order. Get a 110 unit that you can put gas on. I asked the same question about 10 years ago(I learned how to Stick Weld in high scoool and had not Mig welded). The guy I talked to to said get a Mig and you will neber go back to Stick. I bought a brand new Miller Matic 135XP. Was a great welder and worked like a champ for 7+ years before it started to get a little weaker. I keep it for sheet metal work but upgraded to a MM251 a couple years ago and LOVE IT. Have a buddy that bought a Hobart 175 (220vac unit) and it works great for what he paid.

Good luck with your purchase, but I will caution against a cheap welder, if you own a Bronco, you will repay the cost of a good one in no time, and will be better for not cussing a cheap welder :)

Mike

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I bought a Lincoln 180HD after begging and borrowing welders from others for years. I added a gas bottle to it as well. I've found it to be a good welder for anything from sheet metal up to about 3/8" material. There are deals to be found out there these days, both from welding shops and from individuals selling nearly new equipment on craigslist.

I used a buddy's 110v Lincoln flux core welder to do all of my body work and had good results, but now that I own my 180 with gas I'll never go back. You do need a 240v receptacle to plug it into.

If you ever think you'll be doing any heavier welding, like for suspension mods, etc, go with a 240v model.

OP
OP
Ned

Ned

Loc.
Hollywood Beach
Thanks, so you are saying in your experiance, start out with a MIG welder it would be more of a jack of all trades type tool?

Casey835

My first welder is a miller 180, 240v model, with auto set blah blah blah. Absolutely love it, as far as im concerned made the best purchase. I am not a welder and never have welded. They stand behind it if needed, the guy at the welding shop said they even have a guy that travels around and will come to ur shop and help with welder issues if needed. I have never needed any of those services and have never had any issues at all with my welder. It might not make you look like a pro welder, but it will do a damn good job at making you look like you know a little something. You are gonna use it more than you know, go ahead and get something good-It is an ASSET!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes go with a mig. Try to get one of the bigger machines if you can I have a 110 volt one and it actually does everything I want it to even big stuff. But if you get one of the 220v machines they will be better suited and probably last a lot longer. With a mig you can start out with flux core wire and later on after you have learned how to weld you can always convert them to a gas setup.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
DEFINATELY! You will not regret it. I would almost bet 90% of all work done on Broncos on here are done by Mig, about 5% by TIG(awesome welds, but more $ and an art), and 5% stick. Might be a good pole question to raise :)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'll bet the stick would be higher than only 5% ..I'd think maybe 20% still .. But having said that I'M still stuck with my old but very good Lincoln 250 AC/DC ..It's a very good all copper welder HD. Unit..
But man I'd sure like to have one of the migs
...Some give us a run down on cost of using them ..
..How much is the machine
..How much is the wire
...How much is the flux coated wire
...AND HOW much is the bottle ..and the gas.. and do you have a rent to pay on the bottle.
....That may be what I like most about my ARK stick, it only cost when I pick it up.
...Will the Migs weld aluminum.
...And what welder is use to weld the Barrels to the block on a TC gun.
...I just had to add that last one.

MattW

I'll bet the stick would be higher than only 5% ..I'd think maybe 20% still .. But having said that I'M still stuck with my old but very good Lincoln 250 AC/DC ..It's a very good all copper welder HD. Unit..
But man I'd sure like to have one of the migs
..How much is the wire
...AND HOW much is the bottle ..and the gas.. and do you have a rent to pay on the bottle.
....That may be what I like most about my ARK stick, it only cost when I pick it up.

I picked up my Hobart 140 and 330 cubic foot tank of gas for $325 of Craigslist not too long ago. New the Hobart runs around $500, not a clue what the tank would have set me back.

The wire is about $10 for a 2lb spool giver or take a dollar or so depending on brand, flux core and non flux.

My Hobart will weld aluminum, simply have to switch two wires on the inside of the welder, change gun liners and the wire. I don't believe this is an option with some of the cheaper welders.

I'm still searching Craigslist for somebody selling their welding knowledge. No luck to this point ;)

OP
OP
Ned

Ned

Loc.
Hollywood Beach
ok so, if mig is the way to go what is the real differece between 110 and the 220 volt. I have to admit, I dont have a 220 source to dedicate to. More than likely it will be used in the driveway. Possabley with an extention cord out a bedroom window!

MattW

ok so, if mig is the way to go what is the real differece between 110 and the 220 volt. I have to admit, I dont have a 220 source to dedicate to. More than likely it will be used in the driveway. Possabley with an extention cord out a bedroom window!

A good 110 can handle steel up to 1/4" which is fine on a Bronco unless you're getting into framework and what not. If you're doing thicker steel the 220 penetrates better.

zerostar2410

Contributor
i have a Hobart 140 which is 110 volts. Good little machine that handles all body work and 1/4 plate. Wish i would have gone bigger though, such as 220 volts. The only reason i didnt was because you need a 220V outlet, which i dont have.

scbronco

Loc.
Sumter, SC
welders are kinda like storage buildings, get the most you can afford, or you will be upgrading sooneer rather than later. if you can swing ~700 bucks on a 220v unit, go for it, and have an electrician come and drop in at least 2 -220 receptacles in your garage or workspace. you will want two so you can work from different spots without draging a big expensive 220 drop cord around. it wil be well worth the expense in the long run. however, if that all seems too steep, a 135/140 size welder, will serve your purpose...

btw, i do kinda agree with the earlier post about fastening w/ screws or something, so you can remove it at will... i have a welder, and i know for a fact if my windsheild was already off, i would reattach it with fasteners, not welds...

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
My bottle ran $160 with gas. It is about 30" tall and they sell them and not rent. They rent the taller bottles.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
I wouldnt bother with a 110 unless you get a great deal on it. 220 will grow with you a lot more and be more versatile. Lincoln 180 is good and halfway cheap.

I picked up a weldpack 100 last month just because I got it super cheap. $150 no tax. I thought it was a great deal.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
To further my earlier comments and agree with others - you will outgrow a 110v welder sooner than you think. Plus stepping up to 220/240/whatever usually gets you a better duty cycle, and as others have said, better penetration on thicker material. Penetration is the name of the game with making a good weld, the rest comes with practice. Before you do anything structural, practice on similar material as much as you can. Might not hurt to find a junior college welding class or even a short welding clinic (ask your local welding shop if they know of any clinics). It's good peace of mind knowing that your welds are going to hold.

daves bronco

Loc.
Bonney lake WA
I use my dads miller. it is 240volts mig, I love it. It can do what ever I want from body to axle work. I am a electrian for a living, and one thing I did was used sojw cord as a extension cord, about 50 feet so there is about 15 feet of cord on the welder, and another 50 of sojw cord, which gives me 65 feet of movent from my outlet. Even reaches out side about 25 feet for stuff like trailers.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
..How much is the wire

MM251 $2000 out the door
40lb spool of solid wire- $40-$45 (lasts a LONG time)
40lb flux wire- $120 if i remember right (I don't use flux core, if I did need it for some reason I could just get a 10lb roll to do what i needed)
Bottle $40 lease for the year. Refill $70 for a BIG bottle, lasts 4-6 months with heavy use.
If you are not using the Mig is only costs $3.33 a month, and with the welds a Mig does, it is worth every penny for it to set and wait for me :)
My welder is set to accept a spool gun, just plug it in. Can put a 2nd bottle on it for welding Alum, the welder automatically switches bottles depending on which lead you pic, up. (I don't have this set up yet, but will, alum spool gun is about $350 give or take for used)
For the barrel block I would say a Tig welder with a mild steel filler rod :) Or if really needed I could fire up my old MM135 and get after it, and not worry about it at all.

I did take the courses at my local Jr. College, 4 full term classes, Safety/Basic Stick, Mig, Tig, Advanced Pipe, to get level 2 certification (I think that is whay my cert says :) ) Fun course and the instructor here was awesome, 30 year pipe line welder could weld stick with his eyes closed better than I could with my eyes open :)

-Hijack Off-