• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Well, screwed something up!

Broncology

About 30 minutes ago I was installing a Dash Protector (for the keys) around the key hole. I had to remove the inginiton switch to take the bezel off and so forth. Well, once I got the protector on I tried to re-install the ingnition switch. It now wont work and it slides in and out easily. Although I did notice that there was a piece bronken off the top with small springs in it, could that be my problem? I am going to have to buy a new ignition switch? What do I need to do?

Chuck

unclebap

Loc.
High Desert, ca
Yup! looks like a new ign switch should be on the way,springs and pieces always mean,heckity,spurgin,ficklefated mongoose crap,F%&k!

OP
OP
Broncology

Broncology

Well I got the new switch, but now the stupid thing doesnt seem to want to go back in. It was very easy to take out and I tried doing the reverse of what I did while taking it out, but it seems to be getting stuck on something and wont go all the way in. Help!!

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
Just jiggle it.
Sure seems easy from behind my computer.
Anyhoo, The first big hunka ignition you put in must set a certain way. If I remember right, isn't there a big heavy spring to compress to get it in? I think I installed it all in one time without it, just to check the fit without fighting the boing of the spring. Then I pulled it all apart and carefully laid it all back in very slowly to get it all perfectly aligned.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I always have a hard time getting the key cylinder back into the switch. There doesn't seem to be any trick to it. Just do the reverse of taking it out and keep doing the same thing over and over. Then suddenly after a couple days it just snicks into place like it's s'posed to and your done.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Broncology said:
About 30 minutes ago I was installing a Dash Protector (for the keys) around the key hole. I had to remove the inginiton switch to take the bezel off and so forth. Well, once I got the protector on I tried to re-install the ingnition switch. It now wont work and it slides in and out easily. Although I did notice that there was a piece bronken off the top with small springs in it, could that be my problem? I am going to have to buy a new ignition switch? What do I need to do?

Chuck
Blue 71 is down there in K town somewhere tonight. If you knew where and could get up with him i bet he would help you out in a heartbeat. I know that dont help you any. Those things take some strenth to push and turn then like was said they all of a sudden go in the way they are supposed to.