• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What not to do when fixing a bronco

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I have a 77 in the shop that my customer bought and it was sold to him as being freshly built. It is a disaster to say the least.

When you need to replace the rear floor and it is rotted all the way around, it is not ok to lift the edges of the pans up to solid metal. When you replace a floor pan and you want to do a lap joint, that lap over should not be more that 1/2" not 2 to 3". When you weld in floor pans, less is more when welding. Rosettes done properly are very strong and there is no need to seam weld everything....

9ca12ef82c8b2293287899b505babcd9.jpg

dea9f7a9ba45622dfbb9299c8db94dfd.jpg

a8de9414fa3bfd430cb97444a66580b9.jpg

0a66cd6db8235a49fcabeed605a7161c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_6133.JPG
    IMG_6133.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 192

Hopstr

Contributor
Wow! That's terrible! I feel sorry for the guy who bought that.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
You and me both... I hate the fact that someone misrepresented this but it is also how I make my living fixing them right. I have no issues with someone who is green and learning their way through but they need to seek help like this wonderful board on doing things right instead of throwing good money after bad. This bronco had all new floor pans and they are being cut out for scrap and new ones will be going back in due to all of the seam welds etc. it is just not cost effective to try and reuse them. We started in today on fixing the passenger side door post, inner kick and rocker panel. I am debating on repairing the striker post or replacing it. Besides the entire new rear floor as well as driver and passenger floor pans, we have already replaced the entire cowl, The doors had so much bondo in the bottoms of them they will also be getting some serious attention in short order. I am hoping to have this one wrapped up and tested and debut it at SC 2017. I will say it will have some unique features and will be a LUBR.

f4b91c3cb9370f71b8113757b3db9688.jpg

9faf9ce2fbc02ee0714aff206c366e63.jpg

a8b14d266a401bf55856d6512e1f09a0.jpg

fee0f1e78447f82b59fcdaaf85307863.jpg

f25d926e7ab0ed98024b0e4a8a789ddd.jpg

1b391c75f96021f3cdc75bf8b3d50180.jpg

e1538a3d57d4a36aa3b513863e407060.jpg

d650555f50c46945803984ef063a5f95.jpg

568f3aa48b5b0c5bc365b3c196cf6948.jpg

ca8fc9d7e28f73cbd9f41730b530d16d.jpg

af5f898372f7b517528115d95296d6a1.jpg

7d1a0c1907b2b1d6af91167bcb828049.jpg

d32259a57e8eff4082905e5bbb3abe08.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

suckerpunched

Looks like it's going to be fixed right this go round. poor guy is gonna buy that Bronco twice.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
At least it's new owner is genuinely thrilled to have it made right.

Last edited:

Hopstr

Contributor
Almost looks like buying a new fully assembled tub would have been the way to go.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Almost looks like buying a new fully assembled tub would have been the way to go.

It looks like it is expensive but a new tub is 10K Plus the work to make it right..., repairing this one will be a lot cheaper in the long run for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Wow, that is terrible. At least she found her way to the right set of hands that will fix her right. Side note, I see my grill and dash in the background. :) Hurry up and get this and the red one done will ya?? :) just kidding..

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
look at you go!!! very nice work!!

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Wow, that is terrible. At least she found her way to the right set of hands that will fix her right. Side note, I see my grill and dash in the background. :) Hurry up and get this and the red one done will ya?? :) just kidding..

We will be into yours before you know it. This bronco was the first in but will not be the first out due to the amount of work it needs. The red bronco will be moving into body next week sometime and paint shortly after that. The longest delay on the red one will be waiting on the BC soft top which had a 10 week delay....

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
The piece you are using to make the passenger side cowl, where the air vent would have been, level with the drivers side. Is that something you made, or is it available from a vendor?

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This seems like a good thread to ask what you professionals are doing about the factory overlap and the common rot area of the inner fenders shown below in your photo. Is there a special chemical treatment that you use during assembly, or do you simply paint the pieces first?

Nice work by the way.

Roger

Attachments

• Passenger inner fender.jpg
    Passenger inner fender.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 387
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
The piece you are using to make the passenger side cowl, where the air vent would have been, level with the drivers side. Is that something you made, or is it available from a vendor?

That is fabricated in house to make room for our A/C package.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
This seems like a good thread to ask what you professionals are doing about the factory overlap and the common rot area of the inner fenders shown below in your photo. Is there a special chemical treatment that you use during assembly, or do you simply paint the pieces first?

Nice work by the way.

Roger

Thank you for the compliment. How I deal with that area is to coat both sides with SEM copper weld through primer. When it is finished, we then seam seal it well. This particular bronco, the inner fenders did not rot, they just had surface rust but the overlaping inner kick panel had rotted away at the floor pan area so I cleaned the loose rust off with a wire wheel then treated it with Ospho to convert the iron oxide to iron phosphate, then did the weld through primer over that.

1e02e76efa51b67b74915bf2082c691d.jpg

9e42ffcb04681edb5c20666cbd8460b4.jpg

75cd350a5d6528bf0347ff9109168676.jpg

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thank you for the compliment. How I deal with that area is to coat both sides with SEM copper weld through primer. When it is finished, we then seam seal it well. This particular bronco, the inner fenders did not rot, they just had surface rust but the overlaping inner kick panel had rotted away at the floor pan area so I cleaned the loose rust off with a wire wheel then treated it with Ospho to convert the iron oxide to iron phosphate, then did the weld through primer over that.

Perfect. I am probably not the only one who ponders what to do to treat this area, so thank you for sharing your knowledge to the masses.

Roger

maup

Wow nice work...don't have the funds for that right now, but I'll have to keep you all in mind if I ever get around to doing bodywork. The patina look is in anyways haha...

How long does it take to turn one around if you are not having to wait on parts? Mine would need striker posts, floor pans, left and right front fenders, the rest is pretty solid as far as I can tell, but I'm no expert.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Wow nice work...don't have the funds for that right now, but I'll have to keep you all in mind if I ever get around to doing bodywork. The patina look is in anyways haha...

How long does it take to turn one around if you are not having to wait on parts? Mine would need striker posts, floor pans, left and right front fenders, the rest is pretty solid as far as I can tell, but I'm no expert.

It all depends on what is there, what can be worked with and what needs to just be replaced. The one we are working on right now is eating up time because I am having to undo what was previously done so instead of just hitting most spot welds with a cutter and popping them with an air chisel or panel knife I am having to use cut off wheels and grind through lots of seam welds etc. I have a red 76 that is getting front door post repairs, front inner fender walls and raising the cowl to add AC and it will be done and into body for paint sometime Wednesday or Thursday. Right now we are booked out about a year and a half. I have 4 builds here now and another coming in around April. Turn around is reasonable once it is brought into the shop and would be greatly determined by what it needs, what you want us to do etc. A full nut and bolt restoration takes anywhere from 9 months to a year to do.

maup

Understandable, each case is different - mine has never been 'fixed' except for the floor pans that are actually just screwed in right now, and someone did some pretty decent work on the rear wheel wells.

Still its nice to know there is a body shop that knows what they are doing within 2 hours of here!

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
We will be into yours before you know it. This bronco was the first in but will not be the first out due to the amount of work it needs. The red bronco will be moving into body next week sometime and paint shortly after that. The longest delay on the red one will be waiting on the BC soft top which had a 10 week delay....

Oh, Tom, I know. Just giving you a hard time. ;D I am just happy it is there and I can feel great knowing it will be done the right way. I am enjoying watching these other builds as well.