• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats the Best Year Early Bronco

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> with everything up to snuff '76 & '77's do handle better at stock height.... I previously had a '75 with my current '76 & the '76 really does handle better at higher speeds.... the redesigned track bar system ,different steering knuckles, inverted Y steering along with the 4 to l ratio steering box really makes a difference.... inverted Y only looks like a Y after you lift them & F up the geometry.... while many claim to white knuckle their broncos at 70 , I've buried that 100 mph speedo multiple times.... as far as best year goes, I like '76s 'cause they have all the good stuff & the rear side marker are mounted correct unlike the '77s with the gas filler doors.... in the end, rust free does trump all & thankfully I got that covered too except for the front floor pans......

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The actual emission test in CA isn't difficult to pass. The biggest problem is when the mandatory equipment is bypassed, removed, and missing.
The visual part is where most test failures happen.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
1968 had best doors (removable window frames), still had fold down windshield and had the V8 by them too... but I'm biased because I love my 68 lol

chuckyb

Contributor
Of course I am biased too...but do think 68 is special, ranch-hand option, last year of the (official) latch down windshield, last year of the bolt off window frames, last year of the 289...seems kind of like the end of the first gen of 66-77...that said, looking to upgrade mine with PS and AC...and as others have said, the best year is the one you were able to get your hands on!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well that was fun. Everyone made some good points. I'm really hoping to get my 69 back to as close to stock as possible, but the disk brakes up front, PS, and AC would be nice. I guess its all about what your satisfied with.

Exactly... :)

OP
OP
redfishtony

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
Chuckb, Im curious about the windshield. Mine is a 69 and it has the fold down windshield with the latch and hold down on the hood. Could it perhaps be an early 69 with that option?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Chuckb, Im curious about the windshield. Mine is a 69 and it has the fold down windshield with the latch and hold down on the hood. Could it perhaps be an early 69 with that option?

Yes. Only the early 69's and before had the windshield hold down latch which also means vacuum wipers.

@OP - I don't think any year is a stand out as the best one to get. It's all in what your favorite year/options are. My "favorite" is actually the early 69 - because that is what my first Bronco was! I'd love to get another one. That said I really like the 73's - 75's for the available options. Dana 44, C4 and power steering make them the most comfortable to drive. I don't care for the inverted Y steering on the 76-77's and the upgrade to disks on the 73-75's is cheap and easy.

chuckyb

Contributor
I have read that the vac wipers and windshield latches carried over into 69 production until the parts were used up. Have also read that electric wipers were an option / upgrade in 68.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've never heard anywhere about electric wipers as a factory option. Certainly as a dealer installed item, with the same twin electric wiper motors that we see today. But from the factory? Maybe, but never heard of it until just now.
Did you see it in a Ford brochure somewhere? Or hear about it from someone recently?

Paul

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
1977/1976 are the best but like others have said any of them that you can get your hands on are good 66-77 I also like the 78/79 too

OP
OP
redfishtony

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
I was wondering about the wipers also. My 69 has vacuum wipers and I think I'm going to try and get them working. Watched a video just the other night about rebuilding the parts that make them work. Mine also had a spare tire latch on the side so you could position the tire off the tailgate if you wanted to.

chuckyb

Contributor
Hi Paul, maybe it is just terminology but I have seen this language several places including the JBG catalog: "Electric wipers and outside swing away tire rack became optional equipment"

Tony - I have learned from others here that the outside spare tire bracket you mention is referred to as a "ranch hand bracket".

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I finally have one of those myself!
I think they were galvanized, but I've seen them painted too. My own was rusting a bit and looking a bit funky so I painted it a close match for the body. Now I'm not so sure I like the painted as much as the old patina'd silver and rust!
Should have just clear coated it like I'd intended originally.

Since I'm running small tires too, I'm thinking about actually using it instead of keeping it as a conversation piece. The stock one rattles so bad and I don't have time to mess with it like I did my first one. Figure one way to get rid of the rattle is to swing it over and bolt it down!

Yeah, Chucky. Maybe it happened. Just never saw or heard of it myself, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
The spare tire carriers were an option several ways pretty much from the beginning. Not sure when the full swing-away rear was offered, but pretty sure too that it was near the beginning.
Be interesting to know what they meant about the electric wipers exactly though.

Thanks for pointing it out. Now we have something else to dig into!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
1977/1976 are the best but like others have said any of them that you can get your hands on are good 66-77 I also like the 78/79 too

You have to consider the budget as well depending on what you wanting..

I'd be proud to own any dang one of the years for sure

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The options on the '77 and '76 models may be nice if you want them.
My opinion:

Automatic? No thanks.
Power steering? I'm using bigger tires than recommended for the OEM power steering.
The Y steering linkage? Nice until you lift it much, see big tires above.
Power brakes? Prefer hydroboost, see big tires above.
AC? With the top off what's the point?
Disk brakes? Okay, but there are other ways to get those and then you don't knock wheel weights off.
Fuel doors? I have an early Bronco because I don't want 'modern looking'.

/my opinion.

Best is the one that fits what you want.

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
And then there are guys like me that ordered a 77 without any options other than a V8, 4900GVW and passenger seat. So just cause it's a later year doesn't mean it has all the bells and whistles.
Steve