• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's this hose for? How about this bracket?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I was scratching around under the front end and found a hose hanging loose. It's about a foot long and the end appears to just run into a hole in the frame. It's held in with a clamp and bolt. It's on the drivers side just underneath the brake proportioning valve and just in front of where the brake line to the front disc is screwed to the frame.

There is also a bracket with a hole in it screwed to the frame above the mystery hose. The bracket just pokes up into the engine compartment between the head and the brake valve but has nothing attached.

Anybody know what they are for?
fdb345fd25362bb8235d010d55d7b81d.jpg
932c179bbb7b817fe75ee7b6dbf2bf00.jpg

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am not positive but, that looks like the bracket that holds the brake lines to give them some support before going to the master cylinder.

OP
OP
Slowleak

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Thanks guys. I will see if the other end of the hose will reach the front diff. That makes sense about the bracket. Maybe the previous owner changed out my brake lines. They don't look like a factory fit.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Here are a couple of pics of the brake line bracket and I'll go with the diff breather hose into the frame!!!!

Attachments

• DSCN7397.JPG
    DSCN7397.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN7402.JPG
    DSCN7402.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP
Slowleak

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Thanks NGA. Got the diff hose hooked back up. I have power brakes and solid lines between the MC and valve. I assume they should be flex hoses like yours. Sumthin else to replace....

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Hose is the breather for the front differential. Should be connected to the breather tube that holds the brake line to the axle.

The bracket is for the stock brake lines from the master cylinder. It's common to swap brake lines and just leave the bracket.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have power brakes and solid lines between the MC and valve. I assume they should be flex hoses like yours. Sumthin else to replace....

Not necessarily. How are they made and oriented? The original lines were a combination hard/soft flex line, but if there is enough give in what you have in there now, it's perfectly acceptable to have all hard line.
If you've ever seen other trucks and they way they do it, it's typically a coiled hard line, to allow for flex. If yours have at least a few bends in them, and you're not planning to go anywhere a rock-buggy wouldn't dare to go, then you might be just fine.

Got pics?

Paul

OP
OP
Slowleak

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
This is about the best I can do for pics right now. I've got it on jack stands so I can replace disc pads, pan gaskets, seals in my power steering box and a few things. One line is over the steering shaft. The other runs down and along the fender well and back to the valve.
d2cb45234a7737e3c6de1da0f6cc48dd.jpg
c7b2ddb85cae9207ddba03cb4b5e24d9.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, they kinda look half hearted in their routing and bending.
Most of us vendors sell some version of that, or the soft ones. We have these hard lines to fit yours here: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_SS_Brake_Lines look at the #3194 for reference.
We also sell hoses to do the same thing, but they are put together from a combination of hard and soft line. Not 1-piece crimped lines like the originals would have been.
Either works though.

Paul

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Thanks for the props on that engine bay...but it's not mine!!! It belongs to a friend that I've been donating parts and advice!!!;D;D;D

Slowleak, that's a 73', I'm not sure all EB's had the flex lines (rubber/metal hoses) I know they're on 74's, but not sure about 77'. I do think you need the coiled lines, it allows for some flex if needed. Good Luck!!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
Slowleak

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Thanks Ben. I have a 77 shop manual and it shows the flex lines but I'm going with the coiled ones. I think they will hold up better in the long run.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
On my 73 the bracket supported the brake lines and they were steel all the way and what was left of them looked just like yours.
492f23293962fc18e4742f59f5ad93d6.jpg