• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will Bronco fit - 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer?

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Looking to see if anyone has used a 8.5x16 Enclosed trailer to haul a Bronco? Height is fine, just not sure about actual fit and ability to have correct tongue weight. I know not ideal length but wanted to check.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It will fit, balance may be an issue but I bet its not. My concern would be if it is a 7000gvw it will be overweight. An enclosed has to have a 10,000 minimum GVW to haul all but the lightest of stock roadsters with no extra stuff inside, even a fairly stock V8 w/hard top and not much else will need the higher GVW.

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
It will fit, balance may be an issue but I bet its not. My concern would be if it is a 7000gvw it will be overweight. An enclosed has to have a 10,000 minimum GVW to haul all but the lightest of stock roadsters with no extra stuff inside, even a fairly stock V8 w/hard top and not much else will need the higher GVW.
Good point. When my wife and I purchased a hauler for our mustang we had to step up to the next level gvw trailer. the base weight rating was seven thousand pounds, combined weight would have been too high.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
The ones that the back door is the ramp can be a issue. The door may not hold the weight of the bronco going up and down. Be sure to verify and it will be warrantied if a problem arises.

Some may have the correct ceiling height but the break over can get you. Again verify.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
If you are buying it, weigh it. Even aluminum you'll still be flirting with exceeding the capacity if it is a 7000gvw. I'd weigh your bronco too. It is worth the trouble to get that accomplished. I really don't think balance is going to be an issue, bronco's are typically front heavy and are happy usually happy sitting just a few inches ahead of center on the trailer axles, most overdo tongue weight. Also enclosed often need a sway device, they are huge sails that need a little help feeling stable, adding tongue weight is a band aid that gets tossed out there and its usually not necessary.

if your barrowing it, load it up and take it and weigh it, something everyone needs to do, many are overweight and don't know it. I've seen many with high tongue weight that overweight the rear axle of the truck too, so that needs to be considered as well, especially if towing with an SUV or 1/2 ton truck.

UNCbronco

Contributor
I haul mine in this 8.5x16 enclosed trailer and I have 5200lb. axles under it. It has 7 ft. head room inside. Haven`t had any problems at all.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 42
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 43

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As others have stated, should fit. Weight (overall) is going to be sketchy. The lighter enclosed car trailers are typically around 3000 pounds. Not hard to have a 4000 pound Bronco. Any extra gear adds up fast. Some trailer manufactures will rate a trailer at 7700 pounds, that is a pair of 3500 rated axles and get a perfect 10% tongue weight. Just call them what they really are, a 7000 rated trailer.

From having setup hundreds of trailers (with the luxury of real scales), the tongue weight with a Bronco should be good. You won't have much wiggle room with that short of a trailer. I would really lean toward holding off for that 20' you said you wanted, with 10,000 GVW.

From experience, trailers are not happy when running at 100% capacity. They will do it. But you are at the edge of what they can do. 10k trailer gives a nice buffer for bearings, brakes, tires, overall structure. The trailers at work that are at or near 100% need a lot more work to keep running. We have one downed right now from blown out crossmembers. I don't recall ever blowing out a crossmember in the 10k trailers. But half of the 7k trailers have been restructured. Not just a brand thing either, we have more brands and vintages than I can think of.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've sold it now but I had a 20' enclosed w escape door that I originally bought for my Boss 302 Mustang. Later I used it some to take my Bronco to Super Cel, etc. Only real problem I had with mine was first time I pulled the Bronco in the top clearance to center of trailer was just a hair too close. It worked but I had to grind down a couple of screw heads just slightly, fit was super close.

6QvHLQk.jpg