• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hub / Wheel Bearing Question?

onohig

Loc.
Semmes, AL
I bought a used Dana 44 axle with aftermarket disk brakes. I read thru several threads trying to understand exactly what I have. There is a bolt with a fender washer holding the hub lock body assembly to the axle. The axle is too short for the c-clip to engage the groove on the axle. Assume this is a chevy conversion? The hubs were very dirty (contamination, rust and grime) and not working. I am cleaning and reusing the Warn Manual Locking Hub components and replacing wheel bearings. During disassembly there was a seal (or remnants) between the spindle nuts and the outside wheel bearing that isolated the wheel bearing area from the hub area. Is this seal available, what is its name, where can you get it (NAPA part #?). I assume you really need this seal since it keeps hub contamination from reaching the bearings. Appreciate the assistance:)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.... Well from your description I didn't understand ..So I'll just give you several of the no. you'll need.... SBK1 .. is a spindle bearing kit should cost about 15 bucks .. I like NAPA's best on this one .. as theirs should have 4 part instead of only 3 that other parts houses have .. Should have a big rubber seal about 2.5'' across and a small rubber seal about 1 1/4' a needle bearing.. and '' a flat fiber or brass'' wear ring or spacer washer ..The price of brass it'll be fiber today.
...... Then your real seal is a 4250S ..& bearings are A35 & A37... I think. Brake pads for chevy conversion are D52.. I like the cheapest pads I can get. The caliper you'll need for a cheby conversion are 1974 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 ...And the brake hose for that also going to the caliper.
.... Those 2 big outside nuts can be got in Dorman brand.

OP
OP
O

onohig

Loc.
Semmes, AL
Appreciate the reply and all the information and parts nos. I removed the spindle (along with the caliper mounting plate) and checked the spindle bearings and seals, all looked good, just greased and reassembled.

So am I correct to understand that the seal between the spindle nut(s) and the outer wheel bearing is part no 4250S?

OP
OP
O

onohig

Loc.
Semmes, AL
Correction.......

Appreciate the reply and all the information and parts nos. I removed the spindle (along with the caliper mounting plate) and checked the spindle bearings and seals, all looked good, just greased and reassembled. I replaced the wheel bearings and seal 4250.

The seal I am trying to identify/replace is inside the hub between the spindle nut(s) and the outside wheel bearing. The spindle nuts tighten directly on this seal against the wheel bearing.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
There shouldn't be anything between the spindle lock nuts and the outer wheel bearing. The only other thing in there is a spring seat that the big spring that operates the lockout rides against.

OP
OP
O

onohig

Loc.
Semmes, AL
Thanks, You are exactly right. The spring seat was completely deteriorated and I thought it was some type of seal. I reassembled the hub without the seat and "big" spring, really could not see how the spring assisted in hub operation since the bolt/fender washer tighten the hub body assembly completely. Using the bolt/fender washer arrangement seen to nullify any work the spring accomplished. Any thoughts?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Not sure about the aftermarket hubs, but on the OEM setups the spring is what engages the lockout(ie locks it) when the knob it turned to the locked position. I am guessing you will need it to be able to engage that hub.

You may be able to find one at Tom's Bronco parts, bronco graveyard, or broncoparts4you. The usually have some oddball spare parts. I don't know of anyone making them aftermarket unless you stumble across a NOS Dana part.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Also, just about any older Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Scout, or Jeep D30/D44 should have one at the junkyard. IIRC the chevy disc conversion uses the chevy spindle so that would be a good place to start.