• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project "BOB - Big Orange Bronco" Wheeling pics addded

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Has anybody chopped a hard top to make it a "safari" style top? I'd be interested in seeing some pictures!

Look up Burnie's build thread. He has a pretty cool hard top, that I thought about copying.

Kids look good brother!

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep been done Thom did a great job with it. The wheel looks great

Save you some searching ....
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192347&highlight=Lilthom&page=14

HaHa I just read the entire thread! Yep, that's what I want to do. I wish I could do the aluminum like you, but my cage just isn't going to allow for it. Besides the two raised bars (which I was going to lower), my top just isn't flat. The section in front of and rear of my main hoop aren't in the same plane plus some other obstacles. Keith and I spent over an hour scratching our heads yesterday while looking at it with plywood templates, sheet metal, and bending card board to try to make it work.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The tilt steering is done!

Exo bars modification is done! I like the new design MUCH better. I also took advantage of having it cut apart to cut out my tubed ski's that were bashed and beef them up. I cut the existing tube out where it was bashed and sleeved it with 1.5" tubing (with some sledge hammer persuasion). Then we extended the tubed skis as far back as we could to allow for a new tie-in place for the exo bar. Believe it or not, the exo bar has saved my body on multiple occasions!

So now with beefed up ski's, we used the same bar we cut out of the exo and moved it back. It is now removable with the weld in clamps from Hogwild Fab. It is removable so I can work on that body panel if needed (if history repeats itself!) and it also allowed me to give the tube just enough kick out to keep the bar off the body.

Still need to clean it up and paint, but I'm very happy with the end result. Now I can order the Duff trail doors (first picture is the goal)!

Attachments

• Duff Door.jpg
    Duff Door.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Bolt 2.jpg
    Bolt 2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Bolt 1.jpg
    Bolt 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 158
  • new ski.jpg
    new ski.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Sleeved.jpg
    Sleeved.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Damaged Parts.jpg
    Damaged Parts.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Cut out.jpg
    Cut out.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 137

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I've got a spare hard top...

Has anybody chopped a hard top to make it a "safari" style top? I'd be interested in seeing some pictures!

I have a spare hard top. The sides and rear are in poor shape but the top and rails are just right. I'd like to make a hard safari top down the road. It would be cool to add 4"-8" so that it hangs square with the rear tailgate. My crazy thoughts were also thinking of wrapping soft canvas sides with windows but that may be wishful thinking.

Oh yeah, HOW BOUT DEM TIGERS!!!!! I went to the parade and afterwards ate at Mac's Diner. Headed towards Central and ran across this beauty in eastern Pendleton. My son loved it!

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh yeah, HOW BOUT DEM TIGERS!!!!! I went to the parade and afterwards ate at Mac's Diner. Headed towards Central and ran across this beauty in eastern Pendleton. My son loved it!

Go Tigers!!

That orange Bronco used to be in Simpsonville off of Hwy 418 and my wife passed it every day on the way to work. It disappeared and a boat took its place in the driveway. Now we know where it landed.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Time for a Bronco update!

The tube doors are on and the skins have fresh paint. I like it!! I think it'll feel A LOT safer on the trail too, plus maybe hold some heat from the floor in on those winter rides.

Attachments

• door skins.JPG
    door skins.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Next project was to raise the Atlas t-case. Hindsight 20/20, this would have been much easier when I was cutting the floors out, but a little more cutting for floor "inspection panels" it's in there! This was the flattest I could get it and the last of 4 clocking locations on the Atlas case. It gained me about 3". I modified the motor mounts to allow the drive train to sit at an angle to allow more room to push the case up. I was running the stock adapter cross member before, but now that the front output is so high I had to cut it in half and improvise. It made sense to flip the frame bracket and go under the drive shaft to make it work. Turned out pretty well I think!

Still need to lengthen drive shaft, fab new skid plate, fab new rear cross member, re-work exhaust, and A LOT of other things before the November ride at Windrock. Good thing I am dead line oriented!

Attachments

• Cross Member Cut.JPG
    Cross Member Cut.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Cross Member New.JPG
    Cross Member New.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 72

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Time for a Bronco update!

The tube doors are on and the skins have fresh paint. I like it!! I think it'll feel A LOT safer on the trail too, plus maybe hold some heat from the floor in on those winter rides.

You getting kinda "uptown" Robert!!! Looks good!!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm still whittling away at this thing. An hour here and there, but it's coming back together. The exhaust is done, new rear cross member revised and in, fresh oil in the case, lengthened front shaft installed, and shifters installed. Still need to Fab the skid plate and some loose ends, but the end is in sight!

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Bitch'nBronco! I bet that took some time to get through all 39 pages!

The new battery is in. I decided to go with the Odyssey after the feedback on this site in a different thread. I used the Artec mount and fabricated a mount for that to my cowl where the old Optima was. One week from today until it heads up to TN for the Ford Fall Wheelin' Weekend at Windrock!

Attachments

• Odyssey Battery.jpg
    Odyssey Battery.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 147
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The new modifications did great at the Ford Fall weekend in TN. I did manage to mangle a rear drive shaft on Thursday, so spend most of Friday in town getting a new, and beefed up, shaft made. The new battery was the right choice!

The next step.... well, the Bronco didn't come home with me from TN and went to OK instead. Maybe in a couple months we will see how creative the revisions are :eek:.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And it has begun...

Attachments

• IMG_5384.jpg
    IMG_5384.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 155