• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project "BOB - Big Orange Bronco" Wheeling pics addded

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
yes, I have always used a mig. I run a lincoln 255 that reads volts and IPM. I run 320-330ipm at 21.5 volts and double pass all the welds with a root and a cap, and I keep going until its done so everything is good and hot for the cap

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Almost 13 months later it's time to bring this thread back to life!

I know I've been steady working on nic nacs on it and haven't posted any updates. I did upgrade the plastic fuel cell I had. The top kept denting in with heat and would leak around the sending unit and filler. The smell was horrible and it got to be un enjoyable for friends due to the gas smell and headache that followed. Upgraded to the RCI aluminum cell and Artec mount. So far, several rides later, no smell and I'm wondering why I didn't do this sooner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The next thing I noticed was that there was some interference in my front drive shaft at the t-case. I found that 1350 joints don't clear a stock cross member! The fresh rub marks made it easy to spot. I cut the cross member out and welded some stock to it so the strength of that lip wasn't compromised.

While addressing this, I also modified my skid plate to have a removable access cover so that servicing the shaft would be much easier in the future.

Still have some yoke rubbing at full droop that I need to flap disc out of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only one pic per thread on an iPhone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Last pic. Interference is gone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We are inside of 3 weeks now ;D

I've been given the go on the Bronco once the wedding is over, so making plans for some winter projects after a couple fall trips :)

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Between marriage, two new rug rats, huntn, deployments and, of course, Dabo and the gang have made my urge to work on my 76 very minimal! I'm actually gonna miss the first half of the footbal season. But hopefully I'll bring back some bronco money and get things slowly rolling again. Dabo makes me spend bronco money when he goes on to Charlotte and Miami! Go Tigers and good luck Robert!
Matt

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Looks good Robert... slow a steady is the name of the game- and free time will slow after the pending nuptials... My latest target (after missing several) is Labor day weekend to have mine mobile...

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks good Robert... slow a steady is the name of the game- and free time will slow after the pending nuptials... My latest target (after missing several) is Labor day weekend to have mine mobile...

We should set a tentative ride in Harlan for the fall, maybe October.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I started a project this past weekend (had to wait for the hottest day of the year of course) that I've been wanting to do for a LONG time. A lot of you know that I've picked your brains about it.

I took my seats out and cut the roll cage bars they bolted to out. It's time to get my butt lower! My cage is short and I either needed to raise my cage or lower my seat for safety. After riding in some lowered seats and feeling how much more stable the COG is I was sold!

A new cross-member has been made and connects the two cage feet at the main hoop. My cage seat belt hoops also tie back into the same cross member. It's aprox. 8" or a little more back from stock. I've fabbed new body mounts that also connect to the new cross-member. Now that I've got some back-up structure, it's time to start cutting the floor out and seeing how low I can go!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
your not going to regret this. I love how mine sits (I know you do too...LOL). Visibility isn't a problem on the trail and I don't get a neck ache sitting at a red light on the street:p

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
your not going to regret this. I love how mine sits (I know you do too...LOL). Visibility isn't a problem on the trail and I don't get a neck ache sitting at a red light on the street:p

I rode around my pastures slumped down in the seat to check visibility. The crown of those fenders can't hide and I don't think I'll lose any visibility!

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are a few pics of the new body mounts I made. I used the same bushing, just a new mount in a new location. It's about 8" back from the stock tower.

Also, a before pic with a measurement from top of seat. I'm curious to see where the finished seat height lands. This was with the seat mounted as low as it possibly could be on the 1" tubing that sat on the floor. Yes, I know, my cage is low - but I like it that way and it lets me slip by some things that a taller cage wouldn't.

Attachments

• IMG_3424.jpg
    IMG_3424.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3422.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3409.jpg
    IMG_3409.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We got a little demolition work done on the driver side floor this weekend. The plan changed several times as we cut, and then cut more. The stock body mount is removed and the new one is burned in. The cardboard template will be nice when it comes time to bend the sheet metal. An angle iron frame has been tacked around the perimeter of the hole to provide a support and welding surface for the new floor pan.

It's still up in the air how the seats will mount, but we have a few ideas and as it comes together we will run the direction that makes best sense.

My original seats were mounted flat, and this time around they will have a rake in them to lean back.

Attachments

• IMG_3462.jpg
    IMG_3462.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3470.jpg
    IMG_3470.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3471.jpg
    IMG_3471.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3473.jpg
    IMG_3473.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 100

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Looking good Robert, I did something similar on "Stretch'. A bit lower and a bit back makes a lot of difference. The seat's in my Crawler look tilted way back but they work well.
Good Luck!!!;D;D;D