• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A shout out to Tom Hyde and Lick Creek Restorations.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the Cleveland engine in Rattler and cranked it on Tuesday afternoon, as in the Tuesday afternoon before leaving the next day going to Townsend! Tom helped me over the phone with the FiTech to get it set to run. It cranked so fast it almost startled me! Tom also said to bring it to Tennessee and he would download the most up-to-date software to install in the controller, and he would tune the system too!
The LCR crew was on Rattler immediately and phased the distributor, phased the time of the rotor, then went through checking the readouts on the handheld monitor and then a road trip to check it all out. The FiTech is a very cool component so far! Rattler seems to be doing ok and the throttle response is crazy!
Thanks Tom!!

Attachments

• Rattler at the SC.jpg
    Rattler at the SC.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 323

Ratch

I got the Cleveland engine in Rattler and cranked it on Tuesday afternoon, as in the Tuesday afternoon before leaving the next day going to Townsend! Tom helped me over the phone with the FiTech to get it set to run. It cranked so fast it almost startled me! Tom also said to bring it to Tennessee and he would download the most up-to-date software to install in the controller, and he would tune the system too!
The LCR crew was on Rattler immediately and phased the distributor, phased the time of the rotor, then went through checking the readouts on the handheld monitor and then a road trip to check it all out. The FiTech is a very cool component so far! Rattler seems to be doing ok and the throttle response is crazy!
Thanks Tom!!
Tom is good people, I can't say enough good things about his whole team.

I'm the fella in the Duff hoodie and Ford hat. It was a pleasure meeting you and I really enjoyed looking your Bronco over, it was impressive.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tom is good people, I can't say enough good things about his whole team.

I'm the fella in the Duff hoodie and Ford hat. It was a pleasure meeting you and I really enjoyed looking your Bronco over, it was impressive.

Yes Sir. It was good meeting you also. I set the baseline timing back 2 1/2 degrees and it seems to be dialed in pretty close. Thanks for your help.

Ratch

Yes Sir. It was good meeting you also. I set the baseline timing back 2 1/2 degrees and it seems to be dialed in pretty close. Thanks for your help.
No problem. Extra hands lighten the load, glad I could be of help.

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rattler has racked up a few miles and the FItech seems to be really settling in and it runs great. I adjusted the idle speed down a little and changed out the Joe Gibbs break -in oil. (The nine quart Canton pan made it a little more expensive to fill!):eek: I'm really happy with the setup except for the fact that the new motor is really rough on everything behind it. (Got a new driveshaft on the way now!):eek::eek::eek:

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The powerplant.

Attachments

• Rattlers Cleveland 3.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland 3.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Rattlers Cleveland 4.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland 4.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Rattlers Cleveland.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 121
  • Rattlers Cleveland 1.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland 1.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Rattlers Cleveland 2.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland 2.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 109

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Is it the motor thats hard on everything behind it or the driver?:p

It was great talkin to you about rattle that night in the trailer, makes me wanna build a cleveland top loader bronco.

Keep it safe
Chuck

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it the motor thats hard on everything behind it or the driver?:p

It was great talkin to you about rattle that night in the trailer, makes me wanna build a cleveland top loader bronco.

Keep it safe
Chuck

;D;D. Why would you have it and not use it just a little....
Yes. Chuck. I enjoyed talking to you and Deano too. I love your retro Bronco too!

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What headers are those?

Paul

Hey Paul! The radiator is a Ron Davis from Wildhorses, with the front of the core finished in black radiator coating so it looks stock with the lid closed. The headers are the Sanderson 351C for '67 to '72 F100. They are the only ones I know of that will work with the EB. They are a very tight, but perfect fit. Sanderson knows that they will work on EB's but they are not listed that way...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Looking good man.. Glad they got you fixed up

Thanks Tom!!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
What air cleaner you running and how much body lift do you have to get this beast under a stock hood. Those valves look like it needs 1/2" fuel lines. Those puppy's are monsters.

Time to find a rear wheel dyno and see what your putting to the ground.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Tom is a great guy and would do anything for you. And that bronco you have Dennis. Wow, just wow.

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What air cleaner you running and how much body lift do you have to get this beast under a stock hood. Those valves look like it needs 1/2" fuel lines. Those puppy's are monsters.

Time to find a rear wheel dyno and see what your putting to the ground.

Thanks guys; It's been a fun project. I gravitate more toward old school and that's why a Cleveland turns me on and a Coyote turns me off.... crazy, but I can't help it....

The air cleaner is a 14" Afco all aluminum dirt track air cleaner that had a O ring seal at the base and it's a big drop base. I wanted it to drop far enough that the FItech was concealed and I also needed it to drop enough for hood clearance. The Cleveland is a short wide engine, but the air gap intake is pretty tall and I wanted it to fit all under a stock hood. I have a 1" body lift.

Yes, this engine breathes. The intake ports, exhaust ports, valves, and header dimensions are very close to a big block Chevy. I have been impressed with the power it produces even at low RPM.

OP
OP
fordfan

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tom is a great guy and would do anything for you. And that bronco you have Dennis. Wow, just wow.

Thanks Chad. I guess Tom is busy building Broncos and he doesn't know we are talking about him!;D

I was thinking he might put his two cents worth in since he did go for a ride. I didn't have the tach connected and the engine had less than 10 miles on it so I shifted pretty short without letting it rev much, and it still felt like it could lift the left front!:eek::eek:

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Hey Dennis, thanks for the kind words and it was my pleasure. That motor is mean, in a good way, no doubt about it. Smooth as silk and amazing tq down low. I bet it is a real beast when she starts to hit the upper end of things. I loved the ride so much I am going to have to build one for my next personal bronco. Porky was my favorite but I can’t be biased between the two, great Broncos you have for sure Dennis. You should be very proud of how it turned out and I am stoked that the FiTech is making it perform for you.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Next time I see you and that Bronco I want a ride in it! I'm not kidding! SC went too quick...sure was a good time though. Kerri is already planning next year.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys; It's been a fun project. I gravitate more toward old school and that's why a Cleveland turns me on and a Coyote turns me off.... crazy, but I can't help it....

The air cleaner is a 14" Afco all aluminum dirt track air cleaner that had a O ring seal at the base and it's a big drop base. I wanted it to drop far enough that the FItech was concealed and I also needed it to drop enough for hood clearance. The Cleveland is a short wide engine, but the air gap intake is pretty tall and I wanted it to fit all under a stock hood. I have a 1" body lift.

Yes, this engine breathes. The intake ports, exhaust ports, valves, and header dimensions are very close to a big block Chevy. I have been impressed with the power it produces even at low RPM.

Amazing you can get that under a stock hood with 1" body lift.