• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust

turbotim2

I have true duals, long headers, 2.25" pipes out the back to the side with Thrush welded turbo mufflers and it is frankly obnoxiously loud inside. I have like 2,000 watts of amplification and still can't hear the radio.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The thrush welded turbo's are pretty loud IMO. None of the aftermarket performance mufflers are what I would consider quiet. The Walker Quiet flow is probably the most sedate. As mentioned by others adding a resonator inline will help tremendously, there is a reason OEM's use them, to tune the exhaust note and remove drone. One thing to remember, welded mufflers with square corners and flat sides are notorious for drone, the cases flex amplifying that sound. mounting them with the skinny part vertical helps a lot.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Has anyone installed true duals with mufflers that are actually quiet? Like a modern vehicle quiet or close?
That's a really hard thing to find. Modern vehicles are ALL equipped with catalytic converters (sometimes 3 or 4) and that really changes the sound and the flow. Almost any muffler that sounds decent on a modern vehicle will be too obnoxious for your Bronco.

I was driving past a Volvo Truck on I5 this year, and I was amazed at how "whisper quiet" the technology has advanced on the big diesel rigs. I couldn't hear ANY exhaust noise. Acoustic Engineering is Legit.

turbotim2

I am debating going to a 2 to 1 like described in another thread using the muffler from a late model F150.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
That's a really hard thing to find. Modern vehicles are ALL equipped with catalytic converters (sometimes 3 or 4) and that really changes the sound and the flow. Almost any muffler that sounds decent on a modern vehicle will be too obnoxious for your Bronco.

I was driving past a Volvo Truck on I5 this year, and I was amazed at how "whisper quiet" the technology has advanced on the big diesel rigs. I couldn't hear ANY exhaust noise. Acoustic Engineering is Legit.
with all the emissions stuff its amazing anything flows through the exhaust at all....... you are correct though the acoustic engineering going on today is impressive.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I am debating going to a 2 to 1 like described in another thread using the muffler from a late model F150.
This one?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What blu said. And is probably why more of us are switching to singles than for the other reasons. Much easier to connect the two systems together, whether with an H, or X crossover when they're on the same side of the vehicle. And at that point you might as well make the decision on whether to stick with dual, or just go single and be done with it.
If single, you can use a merge before the muffler instead of an H, or just use a 2-into-1 muffler designed just for this sort of thing in the first place. A compromise might be a 2-into-2 muffler. The two outlets let you have your dual look, dual-ish sound, and simpler plumbing with just a single muffler.

Lots of choices out there.
I'm still torn. Love my true duals with crossover all on the passenger side, but know that it will be easier to plumb (and cheaper!) to just use a good single.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
What blu said. And is probably why more of us are switching to singles than for the other reasons. Much easier to connect the two systems together, whether with an H, or X crossover when they're on the same side of the vehicle. And at that point you might as well make the decision on whether to stick with dual, or just go single and be done with it.
If single, you can use a merge before the muffler instead of an H, or just use a 2-into-1 muffler designed just for this sort of thing in the first place. A compromise might be a 2-into-2 muffler. The two outlets let you have your dual look, dual-ish sound, and simpler plumbing with just a single muffler.

Lots of choices out there.
I'm still torn. Love my true duals with crossover all on the passenger side, but know that it will be easier to plumb (and cheaper!) to just use a good single.

Yep for show.....