• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LOWERING my Bronco

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the 4 link back together with some help from my son. I will post a few pics this afternoon if I can get my camera to download to the computer. On to the front end assembly...

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Just a reminder that with these wheels you will need at least a 1/2 wheel spacer to clear the arms up front.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
here is a pic of the wheel stud that I think will work with the 1/2 wheel spacers.

The part number is on the box.

The black one is one that I removed from one of the front hubs.

Attachments

• DSC02580 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02580 (Medium).JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A few new pics. We got everything to bolt up. I have to machine a few spacers for the bottom mounts. This is not at ride height yet, but it looks like it will end up right where I planned. I will be assembling the front suspension, and hopefully be able to afford a set of tires to complete the rolling frame.

I am changing the oil pan on the motor, and then it should be ready to drop back into the mounts. After that, off comes the upper/lower manifold and the Cobra stuff will be bolted back on. Is it just me, or is this taking FOREVERRRRRRRRRR? %)

Attachments

• coils 6.JPG
    coils 6.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 90
  • coils.JPG
    coils.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 70
  • coils_2.JPG
    coils_2.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Here is a shot of the side of the truck to play with the windsheild.
The front is set with a arms level, the rear has I believe the bags are empty and the axle is on the bump stops.

This is not ride height for the rear. I am thinking that I may just leave it alone and go back to the hood scoop option. Less work that way.

I have installed a bench seat from what I think is either a falcon or a fairlane it is split in the middle back . It fits really well.

In the pic I also have a dished steering wheel and the steering wheel lock. It looks as though I will be shortening the column again to get more space with this wheel.

Love the look of those window frames - in fact I just posted a question about doing that - it looks great!

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
%) I took the frames off my doors last week for the first time. I haven't decided yet if I like the EXTRA wind blowing around the windshield. If I plan on cruising like that in the future, I will definitely have to consider tie downs for my hat!%)

Last edited:
OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I made a couple sets of stainless steel spacers for the bottom shock mounts. It took a little "persuation", but with some prying and wiggling they slipped into place. It will be a short day at work tomorrow, so I hope to get something done on the front suspension.

Attachments

• stainless.JPG
    stainless.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Here a quick and dirty chop of what i'd like mine to look like with the motorized convertable top.....

Attachments

• sideview%20%28Medium%29 Chopped.JPG
    sideview%20%28Medium%29 Chopped.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here a quick and dirty chop of what i'd like mine to look like with the motorized convertable top.....

This idea would be ideal for me. That is one reason I bought my first Bronco. I love driving with the top down!:cool:

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
What are you guys at track width wise (sidewall to sidewall) and what do you think the max could be without rubbing the fenders?

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Hopefully tonight I will be able to take a measurement from my truck with the mustang rims on it.

The front is a 56" wide spindle to spindle. Now with these mustang wheels I have found on mine that I will need at least 1/2 " spacers on the front to clear the a arms. I have 1" spacers which put the front out at 58" still narrower than the rear.

With the wider track in the front and the ride height you are stuck with without modifying the front frame rails the tires are going to hit the fenders in a bump/turn situation. There is also the inner front fenders that are a potential issue.

The rear with these wheels and tires on an explorer 8.8 there is about an inch between the rear quarters and the tires.

I will get a measurement tonight.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
The reason I ask is I have a lead on a potential donor and things are starting to look really tight. I wont mension any brands or models just yet but I took some measurments last night and side wall to sidewall is just a hair under 70" and wheelbase is about 95" The width can probably dealt with by going with some combination of larger offset wheels, narrower tires and or fender lip trimming. I will hint at this though..... 4 wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel 11.5" discs.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is one spec sheet that we used to come up with how wide you can run with uncut rear quarters. There is more info on the link that I posted earlier today. This is with a stock rear 9" that measures 58".

Attachments

• broncospecs.jpg
    broncospecs.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 44

Modman

Loc.
Laurens, SC
4.6 Headers

Marty I know this is a little late and you already have some headers modified for your build but just wanted to show you what our headers look like. These are for a SOHC the DOHC ones are the same just with oval ports. They have 1 3/4 primary tubes going into mandrel bent 2 1/4 tube. As you know there just isn't room to get individual tubes in there so this is the style we have been using.

Attachments

• 4.6 Header.jpg
    4.6 Header.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.6 Header 2.jpg
    4.6 Header 2.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.6 Headers 3.jpg
    4.6 Headers 3.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 29

behemoth

Bronco Guru
the tire edge to tire edge on my trucks rear is 65 1/2 to 65 3/4 I believe. It is all up against the wall so I could not get a good angle on it.

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
you could just let the air out of the tires.. that would lower it.. lol.. kidding guys... just kidding.. I did see a bronco a the drag strip that was changed to rear wheel drive only, it was running 9.6 witha 460 big block in it .. that was 20 years ago though..