• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone successfully re-commissioned old CA license plates?

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
As far as I know AAA just helps with basic registration services. Ken deals with all kinds of registration, VIN, and plate issues. Issues that if you call the DMV you'll get a different answer about from every person you talk to.
Interesting. I might have to hit him up.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
AAA won’t help. I tried when I did mine. They said I had to deal with DMV directly.

Thumper63

Contributor
I tried a couple years ago with DMV as I had a set of Ca plates my Bro found in Nevada they weren’t expensive I was hoping to get lucky but.... they were still registered to a car... no go... welcome to Ca....

1970 Palmer

I tried a couple years ago with DMV as I had a set of Ca plates my Bro found in Nevada they weren’t expensive I was hoping to get lucky but.... they were still registered to a car... no go... welcome to Ca....
It would seem logical that if you have a set of California plates in good condition you should be able to have them reissued. But it's not that easy because over the years the DMV has been forced to reuse the same license plate numbers over and over. After the license plate is unregistered for seven consecutive years it drops off of the DMV record keeping system.

I had a perfect set of 1951 YOM plates and a metal 1955 tag that I wanted to have assigned to a 1955 VW Bus. I was told that the same license number of the plates "in my hand" was registered to a Toyota truck. The clerk let it slip that it had not been registered for six years. I returned, 12 months later with the same 1951 YOM license plates and they just sailed through DMV because the Toyota never did get reregistered.

Another weird thing is once you have a vintage California License plate assigned to the YOM program, you cannot change the year of the vehicle it's registered. I had a perfect set of 1956 California plates on a 1960 VW (with the correct 1960 year sticker). I sold the VW out of state, and wanted to have the plates assigned to my 1957 Ford Ranch Wagon. The plates were clear. I had registered them for 19 years, but no way would they reassign them to the same owner, but a different year vehicle.

Justino is correct, AAA can only do the simple DMV registration operations. For the more difficult operations, like out of state vin# verifications, YOM plates, classification of trailers, etc. just use a privet DMV service. They earn their nominal fee's. DMV routinely miss classifies trailers and the additional fees will cost you many times what the small extra fee you pay to the privet service.

John

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
I hated the white and blue plates. They just didn’t look good on my bronco. I found a set on CL and the process couldn’t have been simpler.

John provided the guaranteed clear plates, the registration year tag and instructions to get through the DMV. The process took about 10 weeks. If anyone wants, I can give you his contact info, he has blue and black plates.
ccf803ee36013abbb0c85d22d98b2aa7.jpg

The plate with the year of manufacture (YOM) sticker goes on the front of the truck, but mine lives in the center console since I don’t like the look. And if anyone asks I’m awaiting the proper bracket to install it.

Rick

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’d halfway like to have the proper black plates for my 68, but the 71 vintage blue and yellow plate is actually fairly cool to have on there and is still of the correct vintage for the body style.

I have mine bolted to the front grill using the two holes, but one of these days I’ll probably stick it on the roller fairlead.

Last edited by a moderator:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By the way, what is your year Bronco? 66 or 67 maybe? Seems like it should be fairly early by that sequence.
One of our cars was a late 64 with the plate number AXW 901.

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
Interesting I thought that blue and was yellow 70 to 80.

Mine is a 67. I almost chose a QVZ, but it reminded me of a shopping network. I went with FXW not knowing it was actually close to year appropriate.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct. The 70 to 79 (or 80?) was blue with yellow. Mine was changed from black with yellow at some point.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA

Mine is a 67. I almost chose a QVZ, but it reminded me of a shopping network. I went with FXW not knowing it was actually close to year appropriate.
Sorry, but FXW is not even close to 1967. QVZ would be early 66.

Blue and yellow starts in 1970. The passenger car series is YOM compliant. Only the commercial series is YOM compliant in 70-72. Plenty of people have falsified YOM applications to make them happen.

I don't have any YOM plates right now. All of mine are original issue. The registration is coded so that they know the difference. That's how YOM pays the recurring fee.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
It's always bugged me a bit that my CA Bronco has non-period correct white plates. I was at the Good Guys car show yesterday and came across a pair of CA blue plates in very good shape. The guy said I can easily have them re-commissioned through the DMV. Didn't totally believe him, but for $60 i figured it was worth the gamble. Checked the DMV site, and the only form I came across doesn't seem to fully address the question --- basically it seems to say that you can request to re-commission old plates that were assigned to the car previously: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handb...-of-old-license-plates-to-collector-vehicles/

Going to give it a shot anyway, but interested to hear if anyone has previously done this successfully.

anything out there is tough when it comes to the city/gov right

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

year appropriate w/the rig is always cool

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
Today, I finally received my DMV registration stickers and aluminum mounting tabs for my YOM plates in the mail (it only took 10 years). I put a 66 sticker on a set of 69 plates and they allowed it. I was concerned they'd deny my request as the combination never would've existed but I won't argue with them.

DMV sent two aluminum tabs along with the new registration stickers. I'll put the year sticker on the tab mounted on the top right. The current month sticker is blue on white, but digging around, it looks like "vintage" month stickers used to be red with stripes on white.

I found a couple styles on eBay and I'm thinking the top sticker is probably more correct but I don't know for certain.

Is anyone familiar with period correct month stickers and can suggest which one might be correct for 1960s era plates? The top sticker is on eBay from a guy in Germany and looking at the font, it feels more 60s than the bottom image.

Year_Month_Sticker_for_California_Retro_Vintage_License_Plate_Registration_YOM__eBay_2022-11-15_16-22-06.png

This one is from a guy in the US and the font looks kinda heavy and the "N" seems a bit ill-proportioned. But maybe that's how they did it.

November_Month_California_DMV_License_Plate_Red_Registration_Sticker_Tag_CA__eBay_2022-11-15_16-33-05.png

Any thoughts on either sticker?

Thanks!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Today, I finally received my DMV registration stickers and aluminum mounting tabs for my YOM plates in the mail (it only took 10 years). I put a 66 sticker on a set of 69 plates and they allowed it. I was concerned they'd deny my request as the combination never would've existed but I won't argue with them.

DMV sent two aluminum tabs along with the new registration stickers. I'll put the year sticker on the tab mounted on the top right. The current month sticker is blue on white, but digging around, it looks like "vintage" month stickers used to be red with stripes on white.

I found a couple styles on eBay and I'm thinking the top sticker is probably more correct but I don't know for certain.

Is anyone familiar with period correct month stickers and can suggest which one might be correct for 1960s era plates? The top sticker is on eBay from a guy in Germany and looking at the font, it feels more 60s than the bottom image.

Year_Month_Sticker_for_California_Retro_Vintage_License_Plate_Registration_YOM__eBay_2022-11-15_16-22-06.png

This one is from a guy in the US and the font looks kinda heavy and the "N" seems a bit ill-proportioned. But maybe that's how they did it.

[/URL]

November_Month_California_DMV_License_Plate_Red_Registration_Sticker_Tag_CA__eBay_2022-11-15_16-33-05.png

Any thoughts on either sticker?

Thanks!
There are no “period correct” month stickers. If you had black and gold plates, you got a year sticker only. The month stickers started later in the 70’s.

What are the first 3 letters of your 1969 plates? I’d like to know the sequence.

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
There are no “period correct” month stickers. If you had black and gold plates, you got a year sticker only. The month stickers started later in the 70’s.

What are the first 3 letters of your 1969 plates? I’d like to know the sequence.

Thanks for that bit of info. I was looking around on google for a black plate example with a month sticker but couldn't find any. Thanks for saving me a few bucks :D

My 69 plates start with YHX.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Thanks for that bit of info. I was looking around on google for a black plate example with a month sticker but couldn't find any. Thanks for saving me a few bucks :D

My 69 plates start with YHX.
That sounds about right. We bought a new car in June of 68 and it was XGL-311. Since there is only one more month of production past June, I always figured that early 69's would have still started with "X." and that only leaves Y and Z for the rest of the model year run.

I'm also trying to figure out exactly when CA started issuing plates out of Sacramento. I know that the 63 series plate ran from 63-69, and I know that up to 1965...the letter sequence was issued out of the local field office. By 1966, they were all coming out of Sacramento. But I just don't know if they changed it in January or if they changed it with the model year in August, or if it happened on a different date.

It's not a big deal for me anymore, because I sold my October 65 built U13 out of state. But someone should remember.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That sounds about right. We bought a new car in June of 68 and it was XGL-311. Since there is only one more month of production past June, I always figured that early 69's would have still started with "X." and that only leaves Y and Z for the rest of the model year run

My 1969 Bronco has the original black and gold CA plates. XQA letters.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a ‘66 Chevy that started with SDC and a ‘67 Buick with TJE, but
My ‘68 Bronco had its plate changed to blue sometime in ‘71 it looks like, judging by the number.
Not sure what month the first two were built in.