• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wilwood MC on Hydroboost

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, I think he got that.

He realized he put the calipers on the wrong side.

OP
OP
T

T4x4R

Contributor
Ok so done - sanity check. This correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0379.jpeg
    IMG_0379.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 51

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Is the banjo block flat now too?
I want to know too!

You are doing great do not get discouraged. This is a complex upgrade and has a ton of parts you did the right thing asking questions - this group (unlike most the internet) is really helpful.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I want to know too!

You are doing great do not get discouraged. This is a complex upgrade and has a ton of parts you did the right thing asking questions - this group (unlike most the internet) is really helpful.
So well said, Mark! Amazing how much crao advice you can find in forums yet so many good knowledgable and helpful people here!

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
I want to know too!

And new copper crush washers?

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
One thing that I have also found with new lines and wheel cylinders / calipers is to open the bleeder screw first and then have someone depress the pedal a quick single push and hold down until the bleeder screw is closed. This non-pressurized volume of fluid helps to move stuck air bubbles along and out the bleeder screws. When I did brake rebuilds for a living, I only gravity bled the system. I'm also a big fan of the master cylinder bleeding process without using the external bleeder tubes. And yes it does take a special feel plus having the internal bypass hole as the highest point when bleeding.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
There is nothing that compares to a pressure bleeder from the maater side. When I was young, I made one out of a pressure sprayer and a little older, got a Motive one.

No comparison, ever. It doesn't fail and if it did, you have a problem in your system.

Everyone has trouble needing the WH Hydroboost system. I bled it one time and my brakes rock. Made my own adapter from a Wilwood cap and an air hose attachment.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have 2 copper washers on the outside. There should be one inside, one outside. And hopefully that block is flush to the caliper now.

1710884330573.png

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
that caliper is definitely not installed correctly. it appears your brake line into the caliper isn't seated properly either. shouldn't it be completely flush against the caliper? again this because your caliper is not in a vertical position

OP
OP
T

T4x4R

Contributor
that caliper is definitely not installed correctly. it appears your brake line into the caliper isn't seated properly either. shouldn't it be completely flush against the caliper? again this because your caliper is not in a vertical position
Thank you everyone! OK, calipers have been re-positioned, copper washers inside and outside are correct now. Banjo Block is flush. brakes bled all the way around, not getting any air coming out (vacuum and manual bleeding) but there must be some still left in the system so back to it. I also bled the hyd boost following the monster mike video. super helpful. Believe I have that dialed in. The only thing im chasing now is I dont feel like the brake pedal feels like it should - I dont have a super hard pedal - it's firm, but not like my 56'. After the truck is running, the pedal gives little to no resistance, and is slow to return. Only thing I can think of is there is air in the lines somewhere. Any thoughts, or what have I screwed up.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
if it still feels off and you dont have any leaks, then i think there is air somehow trapped in the MC.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Slow to return can be the return line to the P/S reservoir. If you can use a separate fitting. If you can’t make sure you carefully follow the instructions on how to install the tee. A Y fitting is better than a tee if you can get one. And the shorter the line after the tee the better.

OP
OP
T

T4x4R

Contributor
Slow to return can be the return line to the P/S reservoir. If you can use a separate fitting. If you can’t make sure you carefully follow the instructions on how to install the tee. A Y fitting is better than a tee if you can get one. And the shorter the line after the tee the better.
So this might be the issue then. I just ordered a 90 degree elbow to fix the long bend.

Is this reservoir the wrong one. That tube seems extra small

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpeg
    IMG_0430.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0428.jpeg
    IMG_0428.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
T

T4x4R

Contributor
if it still feels off and you dont have any leaks, then i think there is air somehow trapped in the MC.
Ugh. Bench bled it 4 times. Plus hooked up the tubes back into the MC and triple checked it before i hooked up the lines.

Any secrets? I put it in my vice, ran the tubes, depressed the plunger, angled it in all 4 axis, tapped on it etc

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Ugh. Bench bled it 4 times. Plus hooked up the tubes back into the MC and triple checked it before i hooked up the lines.

Any secrets? I put it in my vice, ran the tubes, depressed the plunger, angled it in all 4 axis, tapped on it etc

4x? ok maybe that's not it? what are the odds that the hydroboost or something is faulty tho? another air pocket could be in the calipers

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
So this might be the issue then. I just ordered a 90 degree elbow to fix the long bend.

Is this reservoir the wrong one. That tube seems extra small
It looks to me like the steel line off the reservoir is kinked at one of the bends. That could be your problem with the slow return.

OP
OP
T

T4x4R

Contributor
It looks to me like the steel line off the reservoir is kinked at one of the bends. That could be your problem with the slow return.
Yeah i noticed that as well when i installed it. Ill see if i can widen it w some vice grips or something.

Just to confirm though, that is the correct reservoir correct?