• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where's the second pill?

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So I pulled my Dana 20 t shift from a 1971 apart today. All in all not too much carnage inside.
Here's the thing though, I removed the detent ball and springs from both shift rails and then the shift rails, but only got one pill out with a magnet.
Where is the other pill, did I miss something? I thought T shift was supposed to have two pills?

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• D20_pills.jpg
    D20_pills.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 21

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Do the shift rail contours match with the ones shown in the above photo?
I think the J-shift, and some aftermarket twin shift, rails have different contours.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Was it popping out of gear?
Sounded bad running on jackstands (box of marbles). Found out there were no needle bearings between the input and rear output. I suspect that when I had a shop change the output shaft bearing and seal (road repair in Page AZ), they probably pulled the whole output and dropped them, never re-installed. Fortunately, not too many miles since then.

More to the point, I would like to be able to do front-dig, and @JB Fab rails make that possible.

THX,
-John

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Page one shows the pill locations.....

Jon

Attachments

• EB20 SHIFTRAIL V1.1xls.pdf
    392.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Thanks @JB Fab !

That PDF describes everything - I looked on your website for a link to the instructions for the shift rails but couldn't find it. Printed now.

I will scrape around the front passage plug to find it before I take it to tank later today. I couldn't even see it for caked with hard grease!

-John

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Our shift-rails ship with the instructions in the package, were yours missing?
I know that some of the vendors remove our instructions/labels.

Jon

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
No, I misplaced them. Then last night (around 10:00 PM), I probably wasn't thinking too well, so I went to your website, but I couldn't find the instructions.

This morning, you sent the PDF, which I read in my office and it explained everything clearly. Then I went to the shop, and there the instructions were. RTFM!

Thanks for the help!
-J