• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moving to San Diego - where to get work done?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
You can’t grease anyone in CA these days. It’s completely ridic how seriously they take things here.

I have a 911 Turbo that changed the tune on 15 years ago and this year it failed not because it failed smog but because the computer was modified.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You can drive on out of state tags...but if you get any kind of ticket, and your drivers license shows california residency they will force you to license the vehicle in calif.

Tobtech

Thanks, and no problem. Honestly, I don't know how anyone would know mine is a 1976 vs. 1975 just by looking.

Just so I know, what you guys call "smogged" is the same as what people in Georgia call "passing emissions", correct?

Btw, my other car ins a 2003 Land Cruiser and it will be except at 25 years old.
Born and raised in San Diego. They know what year it is by the VIN and registration and there is NO getting around it. This is coming from someone that used to find ways around it when I was a kid. I remember having to smog my 1970 Datsun 510 when the cutoff date was in the 60s. Its been 1975 and below for too long now, they are doing everything they can to not raise it.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
There is also another option I've thought about...

Start a Montana LLC and let it own your vehicles:
https://www.montanacorporate.com/

I haven't researched enough to know all the deets but I'd certainly look in your position.

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Also born and raised in San Diego...I grew up with a '77 Jeep CJ-5 in the family. When Schwarzenegger stopped the 25 year rule, my father was fuming mad. We were fortunate enough to have a property near Yuma to register it, but when I got my Bronco, we were sure to limit the year at '75 or older for this exact reason. I may have had some friends that had connections to get smog/registration approvals on their cars and trucks, but they paid a lot for it then and it can only have gone up in price, since.

There is also another option I've thought about...

Start a Montana LLC and let it own your vehicles:
https://www.montanacorporate.com/

I haven't researched enough to know all the deets but I'd certainly look in your position.
This is why most rental car companies had FL and TX plates. I think CA was cracking down on that about the time I left (2018-ish), but I could be wrong. Still seems like OP's best course of action would be out of state registration, whether by property or business.

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

The "smogged" part is easy as long as you have it running good. It's the visual pretest where they want to see all original functioning parts under the hood. If they punch in stock on the pretest damn near anything will pass.
What happens if it is a RestoMod and most of the parts are not original? Or what if the engine and much of the truck is before 1976 - only the tub / frame is 1976? Regardless, I am going to keep my truck registered in GA for as long as I can - at least a year - and see what happens.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Don’t think you can put pre-smog parts on it legally in CA. Hell, you can’t even put smog legal parts that are not CA smog approved! (C.A.R.B. California Air Resource Board) Even if they are cleaner running parts!

You can go later year and have a smog referee station inspect it and give you the green light but I’ve always been scared of that process.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
You can’t grease anyone in CA these days. It’s completely ridic how seriously they take things here.

I have a 911 Turbo that changed the tune on 15 years ago and this year it failed not because it failed smog but because the computer was modified.
Since, you have a Porsche ....maybe you should look into BBi in Costa Mesa or GMG in Santa Ana....

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Since, you have a Porsche ....maybe you should look into BBi in Costa Mesa or GMG in Santa Ana....
Thanks, I got that taken care of. I just had to change my tune back to the stock tune for the smog. I should've given more info on that post. It has always passed smog no problem and would've passed smog no problem again, but only failed because something had been modified.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Having just gone through the Smog with my 79...

The smog tech has to confirm that everything is present that the vehicle had based on CA, FED, or High altitude emissions. Once that is done, then it goes on the Dyno, the smog machine provides direction to the Tech to run the procedure. At no time does the smog machine share info with the Tech. The gas cap is pressure checked and then the machine will tell you if you passed or failed. I was even asked about my recently installed new CAT, the model number has to be on the Data base as an acceptable replacement. (There were only 3 listed and one is obsolete by the way)
I didn't pass the first time, NAPA sold me the wrong replacement EGR valve, there were 5 listed. I brought the old one in, and they got the "Most Correct" replacement based on the OEM numbers. First test was $80, retest was $40, which I passed with flying colors. I consider myself fortunate, as I grew up in this era and have a pretty good understanding of these vintage smog systems...
The state of California doesn't want these old vehicles on the road, it doesn't matter that there are so few of them left. I suspect that once EV are the only option available to purchase, they will find ways to push the remaining ICE vehicles off the road...

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I guess I could add that finding some of these Vintage smog parts is near impossible... A smog pump is $200 and up. And the only place I could find a rebuilt unit was in SoCal or Oregon. And I had to send them my old unit (Core) before I could get the replacement.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Thanks, I got that taken care of. I just had to change my tune back to the stock tune for the smog. I should've given more info on that post. It has always passed smog no problem and would've passed smog no problem again, but only failed because something had been modified.
Darn, I was about to tell you to sell it to me cheap! :) I love the early 930's if that is what it is.

scoutingranch

You are moving to Encinitas? You just struck gold my friend. You'll see. As for smog........go to Encinitas Smog and get the real skinny. Downtown Encinitas.
And by the way.....this is Porsche Paradise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

You are moving to Encinitas? You just struck gold my friend. You'll see. As for smog........go to Encinitas Smog and get the real skinny. Downtown Encinitas.
And by the way.....this is Porsche Paradise.
Thank you and I appreciate the advice. As far as Porsche, I have been down a rabbit hole on old Porsche vs. fun Miata!

scoutingranch

Yes, the Porsche "thing" repair issue is out of control. Had a buddy last year have his '84 Carrera engine and trans rebuilt.....$38K. That is why I got out of it.
I was deep into it. I hung out with a guy that had a factory 904.
In the end, like early Broncos....it's just a vehicle. Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar, La Jolla...it's doesn't any better.

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

Yeah. I read an amazing, very long thread on Reenlist about whether it was better to go "slow in a fast car, or fast in a slow car". In the end, even all the Porsche owners were more on the size of driving the hell of a Miata if fun is the goal. If the goal is more luxury, prestige, or power you will never be able to use - a Porsche was the call. I recently test drove a GT3 RS here in Atlanta and the salesman said you gotta break 80 mph just to get it out of 2nd.

I cant wait to get to the area and cruise along the ocean in my Bronco, top off (for good!).

We should grab coffee sometime!