• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moving to San Diego - where to get work done?

RealJakeMalloy

Moving from Atlanta to Encinitas, CA (San Diego area) and am looking for a knowledgeable, nice, and reasonable shop to work on my 1976. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

Thank you. Anywhere else to consider? Just find I need more than one shop, typically. At least was the case here in Atlanta.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You can also consider Elite Auto/Elite Broncos in El Cajon, owned by John Cole. I'm not sure that John's on here but he's very active/well-known in the EB community.

Todd Z.

Ro_Ja Boy

Depends what you need. I know that shops in SD outsource some of their work to JBA Speed Shop and couldn't say better things about a place than there. When I went to get my Bronco, they had a couple others there.

I don't know Elite Auto, but if that's not a good option, would take my Bronco for anything mechanical to JBA.

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

careful....

you're gonna have to smog your '76 unless you can keep it registered elsewhere.
What does this mean? Pass emissions? In GA it is grandfathered in, obviously. I can keep it registered in GA for at least one more year, I think.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
there is no such thing in California after 1975. 1976 and newer are subject to smog.

They had planned on doing the 25 year and older thing around the time I bought my ‘76 and then they changed their minds and stopped at 1975. I now have a ‘71.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You can also consider Elite Auto/Elite Broncos in El Cajon, owned by John Cole. I'm not sure that John's on here but he's very active/well-known in the EB community.

Todd Z.
John Cole has retired. Jason, one of the mechanics has purchased the business. They are still working on broncos but in a more limited capacity. We collaborate with Jason on some projects. He is top notch. Mark in San Diego, Beach City Broncos

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You probably don't want to hear this , but I tell people here in Calif. to sell their 76, 77 broncos and buy an earlier one. The smog on these vehicles can become a nightmare.

Ro_Ja Boy

When I've had my three Broncos built I have specifically said it had to be '75 or older used...for this exact reason.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
John Cole has retired. Jason, one of the mechanics has purchased the business. They are still working on broncos but in a more limited capacity. We collaborate with Jason on some projects. He is top notch. Mark in San Diego, Beach City Broncos
Thanks for the update, Mark! I knew John had moved to Kingman but didn't realize he had totally retired and sold the business.

Todd Z.

geofocusinc

careful....

you're gonna have to smog your '76 unless you can keep it registered elsewhere.
What does this mean? Pass emissions? In GA it is grandfathered in, obviously. I can keep it registered in GA for at least one more year, I think.
Can you drive and not worry about emissions with out of state registration? I know you can drive in CA with out of state plates as I am a Canadian and have a home in CA. I keep a Canadian vehicle in CA and am 100% insured with my Canadian insurance, but that car is newer not likely to get pulled over for a smog test or fail it. I also have a 76 and would love to bring it down but figured it would get flagged for a smog test as its older and out of state? I don't really know if they 'flag cars for smog tests' but assumed it would just be a matter of time before they would, maybe some locals know the ins and outs and can advise. RealJakeMalloy I don't mean to jump your thread but I thought this is also relevant for you.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
There is a limit on how long you can have it here with out of state plates but they don't really monitor it.as far as roadside smog checks I was told they're not mandatory and they can't force you to do it

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

Can you drive and not worry about emissions with out of state registration? I know you can drive in CA with out of state plates as I am a Canadian and have a home in CA. I keep a Canadian vehicle in CA and am 100% insured with my Canadian insurance, but that car is newer not likely to get pulled over for a smog test or fail it. I also have a 76 and would love to bring it down but figured it would get flagged for a smog test as its older and out of state? I don't really know if they 'flag cars for smog tests' but assumed it would just be a matter of time before they would, maybe some locals know the ins and outs and can advise. RealJakeMalloy I don't mean to jump your thread but I thought this is also relevant for you.
Thanks, and no problem. Honestly, I don't know how anyone would know mine is a 1976 vs. 1975 just by looking.

Just so I know, what you guys call "smogged" is the same as what people in Georgia call "passing emissions", correct?

Btw, my other car ins a 2003 Land Cruiser and it will be except at 25 years old.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The "smogged" part is easy as long as you have it running good. It's the visual pretest where they want to see all original functioning parts under the hood. If they punch in stock on the pretest damn near anything will pass.

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

The "smogged" part is easy as long as you have it running good. It's the visual pretest where they want to see all original functioning parts under the hood. If they punch in stock on the pretest damn near anything will pass.
Maybe I just need to grease the guy doing the test, NYC style!