• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 60 brake caliper upgrade option?

Slick67

I’m swapping out to dana 60’s and the donor axels are in need of new brakes regardless.

I’m just curious if there are ANY options for calipers with more than 1 piston?

Seeing tons of new discs, pads and stock single piston calipers.
Just be nice to see if there were options for vented rotors etc

Broncobowsher

Total hack
We need more clarity. You start off saying you are doing 60s. That implies front and rears are both Dana 60 axles. Unknown vintage.
Next you mention a Sterling 10.25, which is a rear axle. It also implies that you are probably working on newer stuff.
At this point, what are the axles out of? If Superduty (metric bolt pattern), are you converting bolt pattern? Deleting the unibearing for servicable bearings?
In short we can't help as we don't know what you are working on.

A single large piston can do a better job than multiple small pistons. Single isn't inherently bad.
From the second post, maybe the rear axle is trying to get bigger brakes? Don't want to do too much brake on the rear axle as it will throw off the front/rear brake balance. An adjustable prop valve can fine tune a small amount but can't fix massive hardware issues.

OP
OP
S

Slick67

Yes, front appears to be a front 60 also.

It has a 60 cover and has a 8 lug. It could possibly be a 50, from what I’ve gathered- but all indications point to a 60.

At this point I do not have possession. I just know the brakes are rusted to the point of needing replaced.

So, at this point I am simply exploring options. I do not claim knowledge of what is god bad or indifferent- the reverse is true! I welcome education! -if any information is out there, I’m open to receive!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well then, what else do you know about them so far? Is the front one a kingpin Dana 60, or a ball joint version?
Is it out of a Ford, GM, Dodge, or other?
Any idea of the vintage?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the person that is selling them able to take pictures to send you?

Contributor
The stock brakes on the axles paired with a hydroboost should be more than enough imo.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would use newer f250 axles if going 1 ton, easier to find parts and prolly don't need rebuilt.

And their brakes are great all stock

OP
OP
S

Slick67

Well then, what else do you know about them so far? Is the front one a kingpin Dana 60, or a ball joint version?
Is it out of a Ford, GM, Dodge, or other?
Any idea of the vintage?
I think it’s early 2k ford stuff.

Calipers look ok, rotors look like they too may be ok it they get turned a lil bit, they just barely are ‘rust’ rusty.

So no real need to upgrade them. …unless I keep the 42” wheels they came with. Haha, but that’s a lot a’ bit tall for what I’m after.

I should upgrade the vacuum master I have currently tho

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Running those brakes you will need a 1-1/4” bore master cylinder as a minimum for decent brake performance. Anything stock may not move enough fluid to even engage the brakes. There have been some really good discussions on this in the past, there are many of us running 1 ton brakes.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it is leaf spring mounts, good chance the front is just the Dana 50. They were putting those under F350s in the early '00s. The 60s got a lot more common once the coil springs were in use.

OP
OP
S

Slick67

Running those brakes you will need a 1-1/4” bore master cylinder as a minimum for decent brake performance. Anything stock may not move enough fluid to even engage the brakes. There have been some really good discussions on this in the past, there are many of us running 1 ton brakes.

Good to know!!!!!

I’m likely just missing it-
But is the wild-horses kit 1 1/4”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
No it is not it is 1” or 1-1/8”, neither is large enough. Maybe we can get @nvrstuk to chime in on the unit he is using. I’m using a master off of an 85 Chevy k30 with hydroboost but it’s an ugly cast iron unit.

Your other option is to run hydroboost with the master for the truck the axles come from, however you will have to get creative with reservoirs that will clear your hood. Having both vacuum and hydro in my fleet, I’d have no reservations about going hydroboost, it’s hands down better.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running a D60 with stock dual-piston calipers (from a '79 F-350) in the front and 10.25 with stock drum brakes in the rear. 40" tires. It's a full-size 1978 Bronco with custom bumpers, winch, etc, so its heavy, Hydroboost brake booster and correctly MC stop it on a dime.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Like Steve said, you need VOLUME. I was running a 1.33" mc bore. Worked great but yes, ugly.

Last summer I swapped in a 1.25" unit from a HB Chebby truck with JB7 and JB6 calipers. Pedal stroke and feel is fantastic. Clears hood, alum body so looks nice.

OP
OP
S

Slick67

Damn
1.125 is the largest bore I can find in the 10 min google search I did.
Including f 350 and k3500 as key words in the searches?!
lol
Seems to be a challenge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Look up nineteen eighty five or 86 chev, three quarter ton truck with hydro boost.

Attachments

• 20240426_105033.jpg
    20240426_105033.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: