• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Way to Plug a Barbed Fitting?

Prest72

Loc.
San Luis Obispo, CA
I have an unused barbed nipple fitting coming out of my fuel tank. I do not need to use it. What is the best way to plug this?

I was thinking fuel line with a bolt and a few hose clamps, but was looking for any better methods?

Thanks!

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Rubber cap is the best that I have used. Needs to be a good grade of rubber.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have an unused barbed nipple fitting coming out of my fuel tank. I do not need to use it. What is the best way to plug this?

I was thinking fuel line with a bolt and a few hose clamps, but was looking for any better methods?

Thanks!
I've done that on several tanks I had. Siliconed the bolt and then hose-clamped it. Never leaked in the decades it was on there.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to think that looked cheesy, even though I have done it too. But nowadays, I think it’s almost the only reliable way to do it.
Unless you can find that so-called good quality rubber previously mentioned, I would at least initially use fuel line and a bolt.
if you can find a reliable cap, that’s the cleanest method for sure. Short of crimping and soldering the fitting of course.
Problem with modern rubber and silicone hose caps, is that they don’t last very long. I would be very tempted to say, get yours from a junkyard.
The factory ones seem to last the longest. But are also probably the oldest already to start with.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you do the hose and bolt, you can make it a little better. Get the longer bolt that has a bit of unthreaded shank to it. Use that one. That smooth shank will seal better against the hose. If there is pressure in the line, double clamp. One on the smooth for sealing, the other on the threads for grip.

In theory, the little rubber caps are what you need. New ones are junk. Picking a used one off a 30-50 year old car is better than the new ones out there now, and I am not going to use old rubber parts that are that old.

Cut it off and weld it shut is a great choice, but way too much work for a gas tank already in service. If there is a second nipple that needs to be caped, just run a hose to loop the two nipples.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I did the longer bolt, cut off the threads and clamps. My $0.02, I wish the vendors would sell AN ready fuel systems/tanks/pumps, filters.

-JB