• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Children in the Bronco

Nowik35

Looking for some bronco experce to weight in on my dilemma with the wife. So I recently finished building my 69 bronco and it's a blast to drive around. I have two sons 13 and 3 and my wife only let's me take the 13 yr old for joy rides but refused to put a booster seat in the back for the 3 year old. I obviously think it should be totally fine to take the toddler in the bronco as well I mean I'm sure EVERYONE did it on the 60s and 70s. Little Guy gets so sad when I go for a bronco drive and he has to stay home with Mama. Thoughts?

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Do you have a family cage ? What kind of seat belts ? These are the basic questions. Size tires ? Lift? How does it handle?

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
I kept the car seats in the Bronco well past they were 3. I liked the 5 point seat belt the car seat had. Its way better than the lap belt or a 3 point belt. After that I got 4 point seat belts and bolted them to the stock seat belt holes.
87c3bce96e744160f123f1fcdd26c971.jpg

3074480937ec5dc2b369af7398839c6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawndart

Loc.
Looking for some bronco experce to weight in on my dilemma with the wife. So I recently finished building my 69 bronco and it's a blast to drive around. I have two sons 13 and 3 and my wife only let's me take the 13 yr old for joy rides but refused to put a booster seat in the back for the 3 year old. I obviously think it should be totally fine to take the toddler in the bronco as well I mean I'm sure EVERYONE did it on the 60s and 70s. Little Guy gets so sad when I go for a bronco drive and he has to stay home with Mama. Thoughts?
Well, I did it with our niece, from 5 years old on - just like the 70s/80s. Even times riding out in the country sitting on the tailgate.
Don't know what to tell you, it has to be your(s) decision. I wouldn't trade out my 70s/80s life for modern nanny stuff and I refused to allow my niece to grow up otherwise when around me.

Sendero

Contributor
Sr. Jr. Member
Do you have a family cage ? What kind of seat belts ? These are the basic questions. Size tires ? Lift? How does it handle?
I second these questions along with brakes and exhaust leaks. If all checks out I would take my small kids in it.

Contributor
Why does your wife say she doesn’t want your guys kid in it?

OP
OP
Nowik35

Nowik35

Alright let me try to answer all the questions.... My bronco is all stock. Stock wheels 30in, 2 in lift suspension, drum brakes, but recently tooned and work great. I have a cage but not a family one. Also I have the original hard top installed. Rear bench seat has the lap seatbelts but figured that's all I need to safely attach a booster seat. I have the original 6 cylinder so my bronco goes a whopping 45 mph (55 max) . I never take it on the high way.( Can't given the top speed) I only drive it around town with my older son to get ice cream and such. I never did or will take it off road. Also no exhaust leaks. I recently chased that problem down. It was smelling like exhaust but I learned that, my exhaust exit being routed out the back is a big no no for broncos. I moved it out the passenger rear wheel. No exhaust smell at all. Lastly my wife's main concern is that the safety standards from the 60 were not good enough for little kids oh and that this bronco wasn't built in a factory with a quality department and instead it was built in my garage by only me....

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bet she hasn't been in your bronco either, has she? My wife loves riding with me. Specifically because it tends to lead to ice cream.

This is going to come out harsh, but it's reality: She needs to live a little. Call it a stretch, but she's attempting to emasculate the boy.

Today's safety standards in no way guarantee safety. In today's world, drunks walk away from their 70's trucks after a head on collision with a brand new truck. It's illogical. So long as your brakes are fully functional, your biggest concern is other drivers around you. My biggest problem is the way people drive when they pull up beside me and slow down to look. With their eyes off the road they ease over into my lane.

Put the boy in the truck and get some ice cream.

Also, you need to offroad your bronco, or you may as well just trade it for a 60s mustang, which may actually be cooler--and she'd probably let the boy ride in that.

BTW, I pulled the middle seats out of a Montanna minivan and built some brackets into the bed floor of my bronco. These seats have built in 5pt harnesses. And sure enough when I got them installed, my son was too big for them, so I had to install shoulder belts in the back seat.

Attachments

• IMG_6689.JPG
    IMG_6689.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 2015-02-07 13.36.46.jpg
    2015-02-07 13.36.46.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 43
  • 20130704185907.mpg
    22.6 MB

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Tell her, "I'm loading up the kids and going to town, would you like to join us?" See how easy that is? 🙂 Apparently she doesn't know about the non-collapsing steering shaft that could impale the driver????🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, just take them, they're yours too. Tell her to find statistics that says it's not safe and see what she comes up with.

Some of our best family memories were spent when our kids were small to teens going to bronco events, trail rides and just going to town for the evening. We have a 10 mile highway drive to town also, with no shoulders along the highway lol. Just take them.

As far as safety, and doing EMS work for the last 20y, you can be as safe as you want, have the highest safety ratings on a vehicle and there's still a chance you won't make it. Folks stay home and slip in the tub and die or end up paralyzed almost every day in this world.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I must apologize for my bluntness. Lately, I find myself saying things on social media that suggest I'm getting older and losing either my filter or my couth.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some of our best families memories were spent when our kids were small to teens going to bronco events, trail rides and just going to town for the evening. We have a 10 mile highway drive to town also, with no shoulders along the highway lol. Just take them.
^^^This.

Also, she might benefit from ya'll attending a bronco event where you'll find lots of families taking part.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I must apologize for my bluntness. Lately, I find myself saying things on social media that suggest I'm getting older and losing either my filter or my couth.
Wait…what?? You mean we have a choice as to which one we lose as we age?? Really doesn’t matter when you’re among friends. I just calls it the truth. Lol

Randy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
So the older child can ride but the younger can't due to safety, how to say you have a favorite without saying you have a favorite :ROFLMAO:

Ok, seriously though my daughter grew up in mine just tossed the child seat in and buckled her in. A huge amount Kids grew up in these things before child safety seats as well. Grab the kids and go my man!

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I agree with everything said. Air bags have killed more than a few kids. Nanny/helicopter parenting is not a good thing. You have bigger problems and the sooner you address them the better.

You have a say and should be able to build memories while doing fun things with your kids. Load them and go enjoy life.

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
My wife's requirement was for a family cage. I know it wouldn't do much in a roll over due to not being attached to the frame, but it gave her some peace of mind.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Can your 3 year old communicate to you effectively while riding in the back? Can he release his own restraint system and evacuate?

I have always believed that infants and toddlers should be within reach, and within eyesight of an adult while riding in a car. The notion that you want to put a child in the back seat is absurd and problematic. This leads to unnecessary exposure to hazards...including choking, improper ingestion, discomfort, heat, wind, sunlight, and ultimately abandonment and tragic death. (All because some idiot decided to put a pyrotechnic device on the passenger side of an automobile.)

The 13 year old goes in the back seat. The 3 year old goes up front with you. The baby needs your watchful eye, and immediate attention. Most importantly, the baby needs to see your FACE. He's not luggage.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I hauled all four of my kids in my bronco. My son went for many rides while he was in a rear facing car seat. Strapped it down with the stock seat belts in the back seat. his mom or one of his sisters would sit back there with him. The older girls all rid in it. No full cage just the basic roll bar shoulder belts up front lap belts out back. How many thousands/ millions of people drove around in these trucks with no seat belts or just the basics belts and no roll bar and most survived.

Sounds like your truck is in good shape and is more than capable of hauling the kids for a back road cruise or a ride to the ice cream shop! Enjoy it they are only young once! But in the end it comes down to your personal choice!