• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc conversion

Newguy87

Need help with disc brakes conversion kits. The one I have on now is not the right kit

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We’re gonna need a lot more details to help you out. Probably pictures as well.
What year is your Bronco?
What kit is on there?
Did you buy the kit and install it? Or was it on when you got the bronco?

What is the problem with it, and how do you know it’s the wrong kit?
And any other information you can give.

OP
OP
N

Newguy87

My bronco is 1974. The kit was installed on it in 2005. I believe it is from some kind of Chevrolet. I'll send pictures in once I'm off work. The spacing is wrong and the disc brakes are grinding on the inside plate

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The Chevrolet/GM conversion is the single most widely used disc brake conversion kit for our Broncos. The kit has been installed for nearly 20 years and is now an issue? Has the Bronco been driven in that time or is this now the first time it's being driven since the conversion was done?

If the disc is actually rubbing on the backing plate, it sounds like someone installed the kit on the stock drum spindles without using the correct spacer. The correct fix for this (if this is in fact the issue) is to use the correct GM spindles.

OP
OP
N

Newguy87

No it has yet to be driven. I started a frame off restoration on it. Then funds dried up now getting back started on finishing the restoration. I'll be able to post pictures later tonight

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Couple of thoughts...
Wrong spindles. I want to remember the offset on the spindles is different between drum and disk brake setups.
The other would be if trying to install disk rotors onto drum hubs, I recall that is an offset issue as well.

It's been a long time since I had to deal with what the differences are. And what mix of parts you have from a 20 year old box of conversion parts. Maybe mixed in with some of the old drum parts?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We’re also dealing with a rash of brake pads that are too thick and create interference problems. So make sure that’s not one of the things you’re dealing with.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Posting pictures can be a bit convoluted at first.
If you’re not sure how to do it, let us know and we can help.

Quick & Dirty

I also suspect the spindles if the rotor is hitting the caliper plate. The Dana 44 Ford drum and Chevy disk spindles are the same except for the length. The disk spindle is a bit longer to give that clearance.