• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc brake conversion pad identification

Halfwheeler

is it possible to upload a pic that isnt from a URL? my brake backing plates look identical to those in the thread-starters pics

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No.
Besides, you’d have a hard time finding a five on 5 1/2 GM rotor.
The hub and rotor are ‘76 to’79 (later too) Ford parts, as mentioned earlier. Only the spindle, backing plate, and calipers are GM.

Halfwheeler

got it, thank you!
So after searching for that era of Ford replacement, there is very little (to none) that are drilled and slotted. I always do drilled in slotted, as I am in Colorado so going up and down is what our roads do. I am still thinking there is much broader range of replacement parts.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Although I don’t have any myself, I wasn’t aware of any problems finding drilled and slotted rotors for our trucks.
I would think a couple of the big names have them. Of course Wilwood does, I bet, but I think they’re more specialized and expensive than necessary if all you want is a plain old drilled and slotted rotor.
Seems like StopTech/PowerStop would have something.
Or you can always check Wilwood. I guess I’ll have to look at our own stock and see if we carry one that’s just a replacement rotor, and doesn’t require anything special to make it work.
We sell plenty of full kits, of course, but I can’t remember the details about just the rotors.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
A plain rotor will be better than a drilled/slotted rotor for your application because it will have more mass/metal and therefore a slight increase in thermal capacity - good for those Colorado mountains and passes!

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was just reading an article about how the drilled/slotted rotors is now only a fashion statement. While it did have a reason for existing when first done, pads were very gassy in racing conditions and the vents would let the gas out so the pad could contact the rotor. Downside is there is less contact area since friction surface on the rotor has been deleted. Modern pads don't have the gassing issues of old pads.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m OK with a fashion statement.
Especially since most of my rigs are using 20-year-old pads! :)🙄😁