• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Matching

Mizman24

Hello all. I have a 1972 Bronco that I purchased last month. Im trying to figure out if the engine in it is the factory engine or aftermath. Any idea how to go about checking? Thanks in advance.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since Broncos did not get the VIN on the engine, the only way to get close is to find the casting dates on the engine block itself.
If the date the engine was cast is anywhere from about 1 month to 3 months (maybe even four, but I don't think I've seen that range before) then you can at least be reasonably certain it's the original engine.

Of course there are some obvious things too, such as if it's a '66 through '68 Bronco and it's sporting a 302, then it's not the original engine. If it's got a 351w, then it's not original to any Bronco prior to '80. Stuff like that.

Otherwise, the casting date is your best resource.
Pretty sure that's the number that is up behind the starter motor, but wait for someone that's checked that recently as I might be thinking of the engineering number and the casting date may be in another area.

Good luck. And welcome to classicbroncos too!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and if your VIN has a "P" or a "Q" in it's sixth position, pop on over to member Viperwolf1's thread about "minding your P's and Q's" as we're tracking down the changes between the '72 and '73 model years and when certain things first started appearing.
Things like a '72 with an automatic trans, or a '73 with a T-shift transfer case. Fun stuff, so check it out.

(here's the discussion: https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221155)

Paul

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, post some pictures of the engine with the air cleaner removed, and of the air cleaner. Often there are signs that say original or not. Good luck