• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w vs 5.0 Explorer

BroncoChicken

The ‘96 throttle body sits slightly lower once you clock it 90*. The ‘98+ transmission is better, but the others can be upgraded with the mechanical diode if rebuilding. Some parts don’t matter that much.

OP
OP
K

kawonuelauwit

thanks a lot everybody. it seems like everyone likes the OEM as opposed to the "bolt on EFI" units. i tried to send EFI guy a message but it would not go through because his inbox is full. does anyone have an email address for him or know how to get in touch? i would like to pick his brain a little on the efi. thanks again

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Is it the 96 explorer heads that angle the spark plugs like stock so you can re-use the long tube headers? I know you need to add bungs for the o2 sensor if they dont have em yet. Otherwise you're buying $600 shorty headers from bc or bronco hut.

BroncoChicken

Is it the 96 explorer heads that angle the spark plugs like stock so you can re-use the long tube headers? I know you need to add bungs for the o2 sensor if they dont have em yet. Otherwise you're buying $600 shorty headers from bc or bronco hut.

That’s true. I used the shorty headers so I forgot about the heads.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've had multiple 351w and 302/5.0 rigs. Very much liked how great the explorer 5.0 ran but definitely enjoyed the 351w way way more. Do you wanna get from A to B with a smile or a kick-ass grin?

Yes, the 5.0 can be built for power too but if you're doing that then might as well go w the 351w you already have.

You might see what the 351w block needs for rebuild before making the decision. There are others on here that know waaay more than I do about engines, but I have read and heard that some 351w blocks don't like a .040 overbore. That said, years ago I had a 351w bored .040 over that never had a problem.

btw...I went with Edelbrock pro flo 4 on my 351w and love it, but..... a main reason I did that was to save time and hassle. In hindsight, I think I would not have spent much more time swapping in lightning lower and using explorer upper w EFI guy pcm flash and harness. 12 years from now, will I be able to get a replacement injector for my pro flo? I guarantee you'll be able to get an explorer injector. I recommend you stay w 351w and install pro flo 4 thereby increasing the pool of customers and increasing my chance of getting parts in the future.
Good luck.

Does the 351W with Pro Flo 4 fit under your stock hood?
I was researching and the Pro Flo intake for a 302 is a Victor Jr. The 351W uses the taller Super Victor. And that's on an already taller 351W.

SavageBurro

Does the 351W with Pro Flo 4 fit under your stock hood?
I was researching and the Pro Flo intake for a 302 is a Victor Jr. The 351W uses the taller Super Victor. And that's on an already taller 351W.

Sort of. I have 1" body lift, drop air cleaner base, 2" thick filter, and I trimmed the throttle arm a tad.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
351W ALL day.

Fi-Tech

351W Lower/B.C. Adapter/Mustang Upper

I ran both a LOT with Explorer front dress with a Ranger radiator and the factory shroud and only had issues when I was using all the throttle for an extended period of time.

Only recently with my complete rebuilt with forged internals did I swap to a bigger aluminum radiator from Champion. I attached my stock shroud and then wrapped aluminum around it to grab more of the fan.

OP
OP
K

kawonuelauwit

351W ALL day.

Fi-Tech

351W Lower/B.C. Adapter/Mustang Upper

I ran both a LOT with Explorer front dress with a Ranger radiator and the factory shroud and only had issues when I was using all the throttle for an extended period of time.

Only recently with my complete rebuilt with forged internals did I swap to a bigger aluminum radiator from Champion. I attached my stock shroud and then wrapped aluminum around it to grab more of the fan.

Cool looking setup. Looks like she get used

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Stock for stock the explorer motor is a better engine.
BUT, if you're rebuilding either, I'd assume you're putting heads / cam /pistons in them, so I'd go 351.

OP
OP
K

kawonuelauwit

Stock for stock the explorer motor is a better engine.
BUT, if you're rebuilding either, I'd assume you're putting heads / cam /pistons in them, so I'd go 351.

thank you. starting taking the motor apart yday and will drain fluids this weekend. Hope to pull it next week and have a 98 explorer lined up to use the oem and serpentine system off of. Thanks everyone for the info and pictures. it is starting to come together.