• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 leak

3T

It looks like it is leaking out the shifter shaft seal and the only fluid I see is closest to the tranny. Can anyone help determine if this is the inner seal leak or the outer by just looking? Trying to determine if I need to drain and take out the valve body or not. Also, anybody know how long these seals should last. I replaced both the inner and outer seal about 1-2 years ago.
IMAG0057.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is a seal (Napa ATP 1404) around the shift shaft but you need to open it up and remove the valve body to change it. There is also a special quad ring (Napa ATP 12069) between the shift shaft and the kickdown shaft that can be changed from the outside.

Most likely it's the quad ring that's leaking. They just don't fit very well inside the shift shaft. Something that I have been doing lately on my rebuilds that has been working well is adding another small o-ring that goes in under the quad ring. This puts a little pressure on the quad ring to help it seal. Size is 3/8" ID (1/2" OD) x 1/16" wall. Just make sure it doesn't cause the kickdown lever to bind.

OP
OP

3T

Viperwolf, if the o-ring is 3/8 ID and 1/2 OD wouldn't the thickness be 1/8" rather than 1/16"? And does it go in behind the H seal or in front?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viperwolf, if the o-ring is 3/8 ID and 1/2 OD wouldn't the thickness be 1/8" rather than 1/16"? And does it go in behind the H seal or in front?

That size is what the package says. It's Brasscraft #0562 available at Lowes. I put that o-ring in the shift shaft first then the quad ring on top. It fills the cavity in the end of the shaft which is about 0.150". The quad ring alone is only 0.095" thick.

Here, I just happen to have some parts out.

Attachments

• Bronco 833.jpg
    Bronco 833.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Bronco 832.jpg
    Bronco 832.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Bronco 834.jpg
    Bronco 834.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Bronco 835.jpg
    Bronco 835.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Bronco 836.jpg
    Bronco 836.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP

3T

Oh I see! That is very helpful - thank you very much!

turbotim2

When getting the thickness from subtracting ID from OD, you have to divide by 2 because there are essentially 2 thicknesses, thus getting 1/16".

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I thought these trannys were supposed to leak?!! Heck I got antifreeze, tranny fluid and maybe some engine oil. I will worry about that next year.

haydenjsle

Loc.
Southern CO
I had my local tranny builder replace both seals on 2 separate occassions--still didn't cure my leak. I finally had to pull a donor C4 from the "U-Pull" Yard and have him swap cases--fixed finally.

IIRC, he said something about the case having too much wear around the shift shaft support. Hopefully, one or the other of the two seals does the trick for you.:cool:

OP
OP

3T

I'm guessing you have to drain the oil before changing this seal?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm guessing you have to drain the oil before changing this seal?

If you change the shift shaft seal, yes. If you just change the quad ring, no. That's why I recommend changing the quad ring first.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
viper wolf are you sure of those part numbers on the quad seal.... i just ordered one from napa ATP 12069 and it don't look the one in the picture its just a oring. the other part number looks like the one in the picture.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
viper wolf are you sure of those part numbers on the quad seal.... i just ordered one from napa and it dont look the one in the picture ATP 12069 its just a oring. the other part number looks like the one in the picture.

No. That is the part number Napa shows for it.

Here are 2 other part numbers I found for it, 3499AL and 386078-S. Don't know the manufacturer. You might be able to get 386078-S at the Ford parts counter.

I get the ring in gasket/seal kits.