• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PTO winch/ Automatic trans

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Does anyone have or have seen a Koenig PTO winch on a bronco with an automatic transmission. I found this sticker with instructions but am not sure if it would work. I am guessing that I would run the winch in neutral instead of in gear like a manual trans.

Attachments

• decalsboth009_zpsc99c5c4d[1].jpg
    decalsboth009_zpsc99c5c4d[1].jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
The only PTO I have seen on a bronco was driven by the transfer case and had the shafts running on the passenger side up to the winch. From what that says you need to have an auto trans in gear when it is turn on to prevent gear clashing. Much like you need to be stopped in neutral or park to engage low range without grinding gears.

Rocking Bronc66

I would think that you would have to put the pto in gear before putting the auto in gear... Shouldn't be any gear clashing then.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Those instructions should work. Of course with the PTO on the tcase it shouldnt make a big differance in operation. Might actually never get gear clash

OP
OP
CopperRanger

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Has anyone heard from Broncorick, I have heard he is very knowledgeable in PTO winches

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Odd thing about automatics, they still have a significant drive force even in neutral. Put an auto in neutral and a transfer case in neutral as well and the transmission output/transfer input will spin up to engine speed in a few seconds. Transmission internal drag will do that.

If you plan accordingly there is no reason a PTO winch (driven off the transfer case) won't work. But neutral isn't a guarantee the winch cable won't be moving as it is with a manual transmission.

PaveBronco

I just swapped my NP435 for a C4 and have a PTO, still need to hook the PTO shaft up; it’s hitting the trans oil pan dip stick so I’ve got to make one out of a smaller diameter tube, or something. With a case fill will be no problem. I assumed I’d just put it in park, transfer case in neutral, then engage the winch, and throw it in Drive to pick up the slack and pull in 1st, but neutral would work also. I’d have to play with what works best. Another unforeseen (maybe) problem is my track bar riser isn’t too far from the frame mounted PTO shaft bearing, will have to do some articulation tests on that..

OP
OP
CopperRanger

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I just swapped my NP435 for a C4 and have a PTO, still need to hook the PTO shaft up; it’s hitting the trans oil pan dip stick so I’ve got to make one out of a smaller diameter tube, or something. With a case fill will be no problem. I assumed I’d just put it in park, transfer case in neutral, then engage the winch, and throw it in Drive to pick up the slack and pull in 1st, but neutral would work also. I’d have to play with what works best. Another unforeseen (maybe) problem is my track bar riser isn’t too far from the frame mounted PTO shaft bearing, will have to do some articulation tests on that..

Do have the Koenig or a Ramsey and could you post a picture? What about the dipstick tube during articulation?

PaveBronco

I have a Koeing, Will post a pick of the interference tomorrow. Looks like a fairly easy fix to re make the dipstick tube, but I’ve been fighting and annoying valve train ticking noise after refurb so haven’t worked it..

OP
OP
CopperRanger

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I have a Koeing, Will post a pick of the interference tomorrow. Looks like a fairly easy fix to re make the dipstick tube, but I’ve been fighting and annoying valve train ticking noise after refurb so haven’t worked it..

Alright, Thanks

PaveBronco

Pic, couldnt post yeasterday...work, kids, homework, dinner.....blah..blah...
you can see the shaft hits the dipstick tube, so I think making a new dipstick tube out of smaller Dia. tube will work..

Attachments

• Winch.jpg
    Winch.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 93

gritz

Could you move your bearing down enough to clear it or will that cause other issues?

PaveBronco

Could you move your bearing down enough to clear it or will that cause other issues?

Prob could, but I have a Track bar riser so I dont want to get close to that, re-making the dipstick is easy and cheap, Just got too many other projects going on right now.. will post some pics if I ever get it done...

OP
OP
CopperRanger

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Thank-you to every one that has responded here, I appreciate all the feedback. I took off the stock bumper last night and slipped in the winch bumper. I sighted down where the driveshaft would run and it looks close with the exhaust, trans cooler lines and the dipstick tube. I am working on the driveshaft so installing it will have to wait a bit. I would love to hear from anyone running a Koenig PTO winch with a c4 and dana 20.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 84

PaveBronco

Finally got around to doing something on my set-up, had to completely redo the winch shift mount to fit the C4 adaptor mounts, and had to lengthen the two plates from the shifter to the PTO selector shaft. hope to work on the dip stick tube interference this weekend....will post some pics..
Thats is a nice looking Bronco...

OP
OP
CopperRanger

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Wow. I can't believe the shifter won't bolt right up. I might give up on putting it on the 74 and wait till I get another and put it on that. I have been looking for a manual trans bronco to play around with.

broncorick

I see you found the sticker. Do you have the Koenig manual for installation, I posted on the sight last year. Also you can fabricate a new pillow block to lower/alter position some, but even the install manual talks about moving/ding the exhaust pipe to fit. Feel free to give me a call-Rick

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
My 70' Bronco came with the straight 6, 3 on the tree standard, and a PTO winch. It worked great, and kept it when I swapped to the T19, still worked great. Swapped to a C4, it worked but I really did not like the unsafe factor. You have to pull it out of gear to make it stop working. I have a rock crawler gated winters shifter with a full manual reverse valve body. I pulled my PTO winch off because of the unsafe feeling.

That's my $.02
RC

akirshbom

i ran a PTO on my C-4 for years. As I recall I put the T-case in nuetral, PTO in gera and used the tranny to in 1,2,3 to vary line speed. It's been years I could be completely wrong