• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w EFI Clearance for stock hood

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I'm putting a 351w motor with lightening lower and explorer upper in my Bronco. Will be using OBDII explorer harness from EFI Guy.

Currently I have stock body mounts and stock hood. My Explorer 5.0 motor with mustang ignition just barely clears the stock hood. my understanding is that I need an extra 1-3/4" to accommodate the 351.

I am willing to put a 1" body lift in and was hoping to come up with another solution to gain the rest so I wouldn't have to cut the stock hood for a hood scoop.

I've heard of some illusive low profile motor mounts (Mustang cobra convertible per the urban Internet myth) but haven't been able to find anything. We thought about modifying the stock motor mounts or building custom ones. Of course that would put the oil pan that much closer to the front diff / axle and I don't really want solid mounts anyway.

Super Celebration is just around the corner so now I'm thinking about skipping the body lift in favor of just adding a hood scoop.

Any and all ideas welcome at this point !

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I'm putting a 351w motor with lightening lower and explorer upper in my Bronco. Will be using OBDII explorer harness from EFI Guy.

Currently I have stock body mounts and stock hood. My Explorer 5.0 motor with mustang ignition just barely clears the stock hood. my understanding is that I need an extra 1-3/4" to accommodate the 351.

I am willing to put a 1" body lift in and was hoping to come up with another solution to gain the rest so I wouldn't have to cut the stock hood for a hood scoop.

I've heard of some illusive low profile motor mounts (Mustang cobra convertible per the urban Internet myth) but haven't been able to find anything. We thought about modifying the stock motor mounts or building custom ones. Of course that would put the oil pan that much closer to the front diff / axle and I don't really want solid mounts anyway.

Super Celebration is just around the corner so now I'm thinking about skipping the body lift in favor of just adding a hood scoop.

1. custom low mounted engine mounts and dry sump setup?
  2. Custom high profile steel hood?
  3. Purchase aftermarket fiberglass hood from the hut via Jays handy work

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I have a 5.8 with GT40 upper and lower. I have a stock hood and 2" body lift. Fits perfectly. You could then replace your 33s with 35s.

mattt

Bronco Guru

I spent some time running down the motor mount myth, and I can tell you with about 95% certainty...it's just a myth. The Mustang fox body 'vert cars do have a different motor mount vs. the hardtop cars, but they are very different from a Bronco motor mount. Sure, the engine side is the same, but the frame tower side is very different and will not work on a Bronco. What I head heard over a decade ago was some mid 70's E series van having a lower motor mount. Well, I went year by year and every van I checked had the same motor mount as the Bronco. In this search for those mythical low motor mounts, I did find out that not all motor mounts with the same part # are the same height. The difference seemed to be where they were made, USA, India, or China. I have an old thread here talking about the different versions. I went on this wild goose chase because I wanted no body lift, with a 351-EFI w/ GT40 intake. I ended up using a Highlander style hood to get the clearance needed, and it was still very snug...but no body lift at the end of the day. If I was doing it again, I'd consider a small body lift, max 1" to help everything stretch it's arms & legs a bit more. I think there is a member here that offers stock type rubber body mounts that are just a tad taller than stock....might be +3/4"? Is his name Fred? Good luck with the project and keep us posted if you find the unicorn.

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Part of my thinking at the moment is, if I still need to cut the hood when using a 1" body lift, why not just forego the body lift and cut the hood a bit more and be done with it.

Maybe that is just the time pressure speaking though.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Use a GT40 tubular intake it's close to an inch shorter than the Explorer, that and a 1" body lift should have you close. You could always use a 1/4" or so in body washers to adjust the body.

Ratch

Contributor
I'm in the same boat. Explorer efi swap, I lacked just a hair getting the hood closed before the coil packs went on, now it needs more room. 76, no body lift, stock hood.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Use a GT40 tubular intake it's close to an inch shorter than the Explorer, that and a 1" body lift should have you close. You could always use a 1/4" or so in body washers to adjust the body.

This is one I have never heard before. I have a tubular upper so we can compare height. I'll get a # on it and post here.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I don't have both, only the tubular upper. Was the height difference you noticed in the center of the manifold or out on the edge of the plenum? That is great to know about the tubular being shorter.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am surprised nobody has 3D printed a lower intake yet. It wouldn't be that hard. All new intakes are 3D printed, higher flowing, lower weight, quick and simple to make.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Frenchy

I think there is a member here that offers stock type rubber body mounts that are just a tad taller than stock....might be +3/4"? Is his name Fred? Good luck with the project and keep us posted if you find the unicorn.

That would be Frenchy with the 3/4" body mounts.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Just keep in mind, the intake is only part of the issue. Depending on the T-body you run the TPS sticks up higher than the intake. The Explorer T-body I'm using sticks up an inch or more above the intake. I wanted the linkage on the bottom so the sensor is on top.

Tim

ZOSO

Do the body lift and hood. doesnt the trans rub the floor anyways?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I measured both manifolds, these are quick rough measurements. The flange where the throttle body bolts up is actually the same height. The portion of the manifold where the center brace of the hood is is about 11/16" lower and the rear (box) portion is a good inch lower. It sure looks a lot lower than that and clearance to the hydro boost is much better as well.

I'm using an Explorer throttle body turned sideways (throttle linkage down) with what I believe is a Crown Vic IAB (super short) nothing is above the flange on the intake manifold.

From my guesstimate you could add a WH integrated 1" body lift, use the tubular GT-40 manifold and add a 1/4-3/8" in body washers to the body mounts and be good. I have a Windsor waiting for a stroker kit that I will be installing some day. I refuse to cut my hood OR run a 2" body lift.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Here's a few pic's. This is a 302, explorer lower, GT40 tubular upper, Explorer efi. 1" body lift and a couple of body shims under the body mounts. It's hard to see in the picture but the whole engine is level with or below the flat part of the cowl.

Attachments

• IMG_20160329_174508_843.jpg
    IMG_20160329_174508_843.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20160329_174512_620.jpg
    IMG_20160329_174512_620.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20160329_174520_975.jpg
    IMG_20160329_174520_975.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 141
OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Trans is close to cross brace on underside of body but no longer touches transfer case

Tubular upper sounds interesting if we can confirm the reduced height