• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w EFI Clearance for stock hood

mattt

Bronco Guru
I measured both manifolds, these are quick rough measurements. The flange where the throttle body bolts up is actually the same height. The portion of the manifold where the center brace of the hood is is about 11/16" lower and the rear (box) portion is a good inch lower. It sure looks a lot lower than that and clearance to the hydro boost is much better as well.

I'm using an Explorer throttle body turned sideways (throttle linkage down) with what I believe is a Crown Vic IAB (super short) nothing is above the flange on the intake manifold.

From my guesstimate you could add a WH integrated 1" body lift, use the tubular GT-40 manifold and add a 1/4-3/8" in body washers to the body mounts and be good. I have a Windsor waiting for a stroker kit that I will be installing some day. I refuse to cut my hood OR run a 2" body lift.

Good stuff right there ^^^^ Thanks needabronco!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Couple......

Attachments

• 20160311_115456.jpg
    20160311_115456.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20160322_171917.jpg
    20160322_171917.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20160311_115547.jpg
    20160311_115547.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Is anyone familiar with height of 351 lightening upper intake ?

Wondering if it would be shorter than Explorer upper.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The one in the pictures came off a lightning (and yes they are the same as far as I know). Obviously your intake will be taller being on a Windsor. The one on the right is a 5.0 left 5.8. There's 3/8" difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20160402_130454_857.jpg
    IMG_20160402_130454_857.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

mjramacher

I have a 1" BL from wild horses 351 lightning lower,stock mounts explorer upper same harness it all fits under a stock hood with some creativeness pm me and I'll give you some details.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 154

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I have a 1" BL from wild horses 351 lightning lower,stock mounts explorer upper same harness it all fits under a stock hood with some creativeness pm me and I'll give you some details.

Clue us all in...........please explain the creativeness.

My GT40 lower and Explorer upper hit the hood in a couple places before I installed the T-body which really hit the hood.

Tim

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru

I see that you clocked the throttle body so that the throttle position sensor faces forward and that you ground down the boss for the front bolt on the upper intake.

Tell me more.......

mjramacher

Once you do that you have to find a way to hook up throttle linkage and some carefully placed play-doh on top of the intake and keep checking what is hitting and get it out of the way. I also cut down and re welded the coil bracket to get it as low a possible and some trimming of the under side of the center hood reinforcement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Well here is what worked out on mine.......

WH 1" body lift with an additional thick fender washer which added another 1/8" to the body lift.

Turns out the motor mounts I was already using were the shortest version of the stock Bronco mounts. As Matt said, the actual height varies between manufacturers.

Explorer upper with 96 throttle body and throttle position sensor. This combination has the lowest height versus 97 and newer. The front part of the plastic cover for the TPS still touched so I raised the back of the hood up (it was a little low anyway).

Modified the coil pack mount to lower it. It only needed shortened by less than a 1/4" but I dropped it an inch just because.

Like mjramacher, I ground down the boss for the front bolt on the upper intake and trimmed off a little tiny piece of the hood brace where it was rubbing.

Thanks for all the input, it helped me keep my stock hood. WOHOO !

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great news and great job! I saw one at FFF like what you describing that seems to fit no problem really. I have the same 96 setup and was hoping to not have to cut the hood. Now with yet another example it seems just a matter of the details. Hank

mjramacher

Well here is what worked out on mine.......

WH 1" body lift with an additional thick fender washer which added another 1/8" to the body lift.

Turns out the motor mounts I was already using were the shortest version of the stock Bronco mounts. As Matt said, the actual height varies between manufacturers.

Explorer upper with 96 throttle body and throttle position sensor. This combination has the lowest height versus 97 and newer. The front part of the plastic cover for the TPS still touched so I raised the back of the hood up (it was a little low anyway).

Modified the coil pack mount to lower it. It only needed shortened by less than a 1/4" but I dropped it an inch just because.

Like mjramacher, I ground down the boss for the front bolt on the upper intake and trimmed off a little tiny piece of the hood brace where it was rubbing.

Thanks for all the input, it helped me keep my stock hood. WOHOO !

No prob I'm glad it all worked out.