• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1/2 ton or 1 ton... this is the question?

Archangel

Ok guys, I've got a 70 that i'm building from the ground up basically, full resto mod if you will. Now i'm debating in my head weather i need to go with the one ton's or not. The suspension will be 3 link front and a 4 link rear no matter what i choose, and Sway Away coil overs all around (i can get them at cost). Engine is a healthy 408, NP435, Dana 20 case. Now i don't plan on going with a tire larger than 37" maybe 38" tsl's. I can get a HP 44 for almost nothing compared to finding a HP 60 that i'm looking at around a grand. I already have a full width 9" to top it off. Now the Sterling 10.25 can be had super cheep too, I've seen them as low as $150 so that's a plus considering how strong they are. If i go the 44/9" route, all the internals will defiantly be upgraded. Or should i just bite the bullet and find some one tons?

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I would go 1 ton. I did the 1/2 ton route first and then went 1 ton. What type of wheeling do you plan on/ how much?

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
With your engine and 37's or 38's I would definately recommend one tons. I have well built dana 44 and 9" and keep breaking stuff while I'm rockcrawling and I'm only running 36's. I seriously regret not skipping these axle and going right to tons.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
If your going through the trouble of a 3-4 link suspension then id go full width HP. Sounds like your after a trail rig so the choice is simple! Go Big Or Stay Home!

OP
OP
A

Archangel

I would go 1 ton. I did the 1/2 ton route first and then went 1 ton. What type of wheeling do you plan on/ how much?

With your engine and 37's or 38's I would definately recommend one tons. I have well built dana 44 and 9" and keep breaking stuff while I'm rockcrawling and I'm only running 36's. I seriously regret not skipping these axle and going right to tons.

The rig will be mostly used for wheeling, almost all rockcrawling and driving to and from the trails/ weekend trips and such. I guess i just wanted to hear people tell me yes, go with the one tons.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Im not a fan of the tires sticking out past the fenders (neither is Jonny Law)....but on a trail rig sometimes its a must. But i must add that sometimes a wider stance can be a problem on the trail.

xltbeast

Loc.
Lake Placid, NY
As someone who is currently building 60s for the front and rear I personally wish I had went 40 spline 9" rear and 609 front. The initial cost of the 609/9 combo pushed me in the one ton direction but after adding up all of the wants/ needs for the 60s I would have been only 500-800 dollars deeper is I went with the custom axles.

My reasons are the 609/9 axles can weigh much less, be as strong if not stronger, and i prefer the third member. Better pinion support and 10X easier to set up yourself (IMO, I hate setting gears in danas).

Plus it would make you the coolest kid on the block (and the poorest)

OP
OP
A

Archangel

As someone who is currently building 60s for the front and rear I personally wish I had went 40 spline 9" rear and 609 front. The initial cost of the 609/9 combo pushed me in the one ton direction but after adding up all of the wants/ needs for the 60s I would have been only 500-800 dollars deeper is I went with the custom axles.

My reasons are the 609/9 axles can weigh much less, be as strong if not stronger, and i prefer the third member. Better pinion support and 10X easier to set up yourself (IMO, I hate setting gears in danas).

Defiantly the poorest haha

twisted77

Loc.
Evansville, Indiana

X2 these are great axles and user friendly. This is the way I'm going on my next trail rig. Hot my eye on one a few miles south of me. :)

Bryce

Sent from my EB parts finder phone.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Well, I was going to say to stay with the half tons, but the motor dictates that you need one tons - no getting around that.

I love being able to pound on the happy pedal as long and wherever I want without the worry of destroying axle shafts - I used to break ujoints every single outing, not ever again. I destroyed a stub shaft, spindle and lockout and the Spicer joint was 95% ok (boke two needle bearings in one cap :O )

broncokak

Bronco Guru
What spline count are the axles in the 609?

Reason I ask is I saw a 9" with D44 outers over the weekend. He was running 31 spline axles and it looked like a nice set up.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
What spline count are the axles in the 609?

Reason I ask is I saw a 9" with D44 outers over the weekend. He was running 31 spline axles and it looked like a nice set up.

Typically it is a 35 spline 9" in the center section with 35 spline D60 shafts and outers - hence the 60/9 name..

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Ok, I guess I should have asked what the D 60 spline was. LOL I figured the 9" would be 35.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
What do you think about a HP D44 with RCV CV shafts? I know it will not compare to the strength of a D60, but is that a decent option for someone wanting to stay with 1/2 ton?

broncokak

Bronco Guru
And, what is the largest axle shaft you can use in a 44? I've up grade to bigger and better u joints but that's it.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
What do you think about a HP D44 with RCV CV shafts? I know it will not compare to the strength of a D60, but is that a decent option for someone wanting to stay with 1/2 ton?

Straight from RCV's site-

Test results show RCV Ultimate CV Axles for Dana 44 to be twice as strong as Dana 44 OEM axle shafts. They're just as tough at a straight angle as they are at extreme angles - where U-jointed axles are at their weakest. An RCV equipped Dana 44 is effectively as strong as a Dana 60, without the extra weight or loss of ground clearance.

The D44 RCV's are as strong as a stock D60 - which means it should take 37" tires all day long. In over three years of hard wheeling I've only managed to break one stub shaft, and I was front digging alot, even hopping burnouts on tar...

And, what is the largest axle shaft you can use in a 44? I've up grade to bigger and better u joints but that's it.

Warn shafts and CTM's are about the only other route to go in that housing - which are about on par with RCV's. RCV's just have less maintance and a better warranty.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
No problem, I've been horny for a set for some time, but I just can't justify it yet.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Mine is still uncut, but it will grow into 37s eventually :) I already have the HP D44 so I plan to build that up with the RCV CVs and ARB while I'm still driving my little lubr. I think sticking with built 1/2 ton axles is the right choice for me.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saw a really good looking Bronco with 1 tons recently. He had 1 ton dana 60's and was using facorty military beadlocks on the Dana 60's. The rims have like 8" of backspacing and it tucked the wheels nicely under the Bronco. I could hardly tell the were full width.