• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1/2 ton or 1 ton... this is the question?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
your 1-ton diffs are gonna hang kinda low on 37s.

Tell me about it.. ugh. 35" bald ass mud kings on a D44 have more ground clearance than my fresh 37's on a 1 ton...

But you can always hammer the shit out of the throttle and make your way though most things that would kill a D44 trying it :D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My heavy 408-powered rig with the 39.5 IROKS has been routinely shredding D44 front axle shafts for years now. Wishing I had gone with a 60 up front aside...I recently bought a set of the RCVs but have not been able to put them to the test yet.

I also have everything to convert my '78 Bronco on 38s to 1-tons..having given up on the 44 in the front of that for the same reason; the 408 snapped any brand front axle like a twig. Never hurt the rear 9" though...and it with "only" 31-spline aftermarket axles.