• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1 pc oil pan gasket / 2 pc main seal.3rd x charms!

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Thanks for checking that for me.

The wife is picking up the anaerobic sealant.

Off to clean n paint the oil pan now ;)

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
With this one piece fel - pro pan gasket will I need any RTV on it?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Maybe a little RTV in the corners if you want, but with a one piece you shouldn't need it - did it come with the plastic screw in studs with the clips that hold the gasket to the block?

I put my engine together completely dry except the intake manifold on the front and back - that's just RTV.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Thanks and yes it did come with the studs.

The corners were where the old cork gasket was leaking.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Well I got it all back together then had to work on the wife's ride so i'll get back to Bronco tomorrow.
nuza2u6a.jpg

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Well the new main seal puked on me tonight ...oops.

Wonder how many times til I get it right?

One question.. I should be able to reuse the pan gasket as long as no damages are done to it taking it back off...right?

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Yep, that pan gasket is good to go for as many uses as you can get out of it. Hopefully only once more!

Did you stagger the main ends about 3/8" to the block surface? Something else I just thought of....clean the block and cap real good and put a bit of sealant where they mate. As you can imagine, oil can seep thru that crack even though it's torqued down to 100 ft. lbs.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Well I did a little but not enough as I thought I was gonna mess up the seal.

Funny it didn't leak at all for quite a spell them boom.
neredene.jpg

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Wow, that is bad! Have you checked your PCV system? Makes me think you may be building pressure.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
They don't appear to be but am goin to replace as the ones on both valve crovers are old.

Thanks for you input Teal.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Drivers side in and passengers side out?
u9yqe8yv.jpg

Also i have the 302 spacer block under the carb on an older 351 so I have the forward port plugged off. Is this a mistakemistake?

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
The PCV valve is hooked to the breather (where it's been for yrs) so I need to hook it to the spacer under the carb right. See I just put the spacer on back in January as the org one to the 351 was toast and did not have the front port.I got this one is off a 302 and not having it before I just capped it off.

My oil cap breather vent needs to go to the air cleaner then where it has just been open .

Pix in a second. ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
upyguqa3.jpg

Tried to get a pic where the pcv goes in to the breather

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Better pix maybe

bura5u3a.jpg

Isn't the canister hose supposed to there?

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
It looks to me like the driver side has a pcv with a 90 degree and the passenger just has a 45 degree fitting with no pcv. Pull them out and shake them to confirm. The PCV will rattle.

The PCV needs to go to the carb spacer and the other can either just be vented to atmosphere or connected to the breather. The advantage of being connected to the breather is that it will re-burn fumes when venting.