• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1 pc oil pan gasket / 2 pc main seal.3rd x charms!

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
The one on the valve cover on passengers side,when I unplug it while motor is running that's where blow by comes out so I've always thought this was the pcv valve.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Half,
I'm just saying that fitting does not look like a PCV to me. Pull it out shake it, blow and suck on it (yea that sounds bad). See if it's a fitting only or PCV and fitting.
Tyler

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Ok I got rattle on the dr side and so far I've not been able to get the one out on passengers side.I've had to leave the shop for now but when I get back I will get it out .

Dr side I can blow through but can't pull air through.

Thanks again

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Half,
The other can be a pain to remove so leave the hose on it and blow/suck. That accomplishes the same thing. The one you tested is functioning correctly so as long as the passenger does not have a PCV you can route driver to carb spacer and passenger to air cleaner and you will be good to go.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
10-4 copied that. Got the oil drained and track bar back off ready to try it again tomorrow .

One thing is for sure it's not near as dirty under there this time.;)

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Well I got the new "new" main seal in and the other one was shaved! (Oops missed that) well I got it back together ...filed the bur some more staggered the seal better.
Got the oil pan back on and prolly wait til the cement sets up good on the flang before I fire motor up.

Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
They say third times charm? well I have leaks still and in the front of the pan now!

It's not streaming out like it was in the rear but it's leaking at both ends now and I'm starting to believe it the pan gasket at each end. Hard to tell when you bolt it on if it fits ib the groves well or kinks?

This is turning into a 'worse then body bushing replacement job" lncol .

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Funny you mention that. I just started the body mounts and of course four of the bolts are gonna have to be cut! The front four.

Take your time and make sure the seats right as you place the pan. Use a feel to poke around if you can't see it.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I ran into a couple those bushings that was a real pain in the a$$! I also used just about every means possible getting some those bushings out!

What if I permatex the ends of the seal.I'm just almost positive that's the problem this time.

Man my wife is about to loose all confidence in me!;)

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I see no harm in that. Also be sure to put some on the bearing cap where it mates to the block.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Well just to update ...I got the oil pan back on and I do believe it was the pan gasket. So far it appears to all be doing well.

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
OMG, I have been having the same issue! Rebuilt the 302. Oil leaking out the rear main into bell housing. Replaced rear main 3 times so far. Have PCV routed to carb base, other side breather cap. I know she's got way more compression than she used to. Could it be the Cam cap in the block?

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
OMG, I have been having the same issue! Rebuilt the 302. Oil leaking out the rear main into bell housing. Replaced rear main 3 times so far. Have PCV routed to carb base, other side breather cap. I know she's got way more compression than she used to. Could it be the Cam cap in the block?

It is more work, but if you drop the t-case and tranny, remove fly wheel, clean the rear of the block good, and let it sit about a day you can usually see evidence of where it's coming from.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Half,
Glad you got it under control and you are welcome!

I won't bore you with all the details, but the back four bolts came out easy and still had to split the bushings apart. Wasn't too bad. Now the front four....Air hammer baby!