• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1794 explorer front disc brakes kit help

74BroncoX

Loc.
wi to ca
Hello

I'm currently looking for a front disc brake package for my 1974 Explorer. Any suggestions as to kits I should use would be grateful.

I dont want to change out any parts from a 75-77.

Thanks

John

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
What do you mean you don't want to change out any parts from a 75-77?

Are you saying you don't want to use used parts? 75 would have been drums regardless.

If it's the issue of used parts, you'll need to get a kit from one of the vendors which are all the same kit for the most part. You do have the option of using the knuckles out kit as long as you have the stock Dana 44 on your '74. It's less common but also available new from a couple of the vendors.

OP
OP
74BroncoX

74BroncoX

Loc.
wi to ca
What do you mean you don't want to change out any parts from a 75-77?

Are you saying you don't want to use used parts? 75 would have been drums regardless.

If it's the issue of used parts, you'll need to get a kit from one of the vendors which are all the same kit for the most part. You do have the option of using the knuckles out kit as long as you have the stock Dana 44 on your '74. It's less common but also available new from a couple of the vendors.

Is there any kit you would recommenced from any particular vendor?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
99% of the kits are the Chevy conversion which use spindles, caliper brackets, and calipers off of a GM Dana 44. They use stock 76/77 (and later years) Bronco hubs and rotors to keep the bolt pattern correct.

The general consensus here on the board is that because the kits all utilize the parts listed above, one really isn't any different than the other. So, go with the vendor who has the cheapest overall price. With a kit this heavy, shipping is probably going to be the biggest factor in cost.

OP
OP
74BroncoX

74BroncoX

Loc.
wi to ca
99% of the kits are the Chevy conversion which use spindles, caliper brackets, and calipers off of a GM Dana 44. They use stock 76/77 (and later years) Bronco hubs and rotors to keep the bolt pattern correct.

The general consensus here on the board is that because the kits all utilize the parts listed above, one really isn't any different than the other. So, go with the vendor who has the cheapest overall price. With a kit this heavy, shipping is probably going to be the biggest factor in cost.

Thanks!
JOhn

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
BCBroncos has a nice knuckles out kit that I used. Install was very smooth.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
I used Tom's kit. The price was right and I am within driving distance so I picked up the parts. Otherwise I would have gone with the cheapest shipping route as mentioned above. I think there's a picture in my garage. You won't be disappointed with any of the vendors' kits.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Not sure why this fact isn't mentioned more often but the Ford knuckles have a larger diameter opening allowing for MUCH easier repairs when you grenade a u- joint...

If you actually wheel your rig you will grenade u- joints. Using a bfh under your rig on the trail to try to get your axle out of the knuckle isn't fun...I've watched it too many times.

Hope this helps...

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure why this fact isn't mentioned more often but the Ford knuckles have a larger diameter opening allowing for MUCH easier repairs when you grenade a u- joint...

If you actually wheel your rig you will grenade u- joints. Using a bfh under your rig on the trail to try to get your axle out of the knuckle isn't fun...I've watched it too many times.

Hope this helps...

X2 I always try to get folks to do the Ford swap for this very reason! You can usually find all the parts you need on Ebay, some there right now. Another nice thing about using Ford parts is that you can upgrade to the larger T-Bird calipers also.

Last edited:

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
The BC kit also keeps the tie rods away from the wheels. You can use the stock steering links for the T style.

OP
OP
74BroncoX

74BroncoX

Loc.
wi to ca
I talked to a guy that said I could swap out the spindels with all for stuff for about $300...

(Im a newb, keep it simple for me)

I have no idea what he is talking about but he said it would work. Any thoughts? I trust this mechanic but I dont know enough to say yes or no.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I talked to a guy that said I could swap out the spindels with all for stuff for about $300...

$300...yes...no....maybe. It all depends on how good the parts are you source from the yard and the quality of the rebuild.

I got the spindels and caliper mouning plated from a yard and reused my stock 74 locking hubs. Everything else I got al my loacl Advanced Auto. Ok I bought the power booster and bracket off ebay too.

Calipers are $20 each
Pads are $30
Rotors are $35 each
Hubs are $85 each
Wheel studs $3 each

I did a full rebuild of the dana 44 while I had it broken down so I also did all bearings races, seals, ball joints and U joints.

Tim