• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Power Steering Shaft Photo

66CTBronco

Contributor
Loc.
New england
Hello group!
I've got a 66 (either nov or dec 65 build - i can't recall) with of course the inline 6 and power steering. Something was changed along the line somewhere as the steering shaft is solid all the way from the wheel to the box. Where there may have been a coupling is now a thin wall pipe that is welded. I'm looking for some photos of what the steering shaft should look like because whatever this is i'd like to make it back to OE. Does anyone either have pictures or a link to where I can see what this shaft is supposed to look like? I'm going to guess it's made of unicorn horn powder and the likelihood of me finding one is less than slim to none? THanks in advance!
chris

bmbm

Hello group!
I've got a 66 (either nov or dec 65 build - i can't recall) with of course the inline 6 and power steering. Something was changed along the line somewhere as the steering shaft is solid all the way from the wheel to the box. Where there may have been a coupling is now a thin wall pipe that is welded. I'm looking for some photos of what the steering shaft should look like because whatever this is i'd like to make it back to OE. Does anyone either have pictures or a link to where I can see what this shaft is supposed to look like? I'm going to guess it's made of unicorn horn powder and the likelihood of me finding one is less than slim to none? THanks in advance!
chris
As far as I know power steering was not an option on the inline 6. PS was added to your 66 and that is what I did on my 66 250 inline 6 using a 4 turn Bronco PS box. I recall we had to do some butchering on the stock solid shaft. Will change to a collapsible shaft during next upgrade phase. The WH shafts look good.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As others stated, power steering didn't exist as an option in '66. Wasn't an option until '73.
So your '66 has been modified. The thing about modifications, there are no standards. There are dozens of ways power steering could have been installed. We have no idea what you are actually working with. Thus no idea what to tell you what the fix can be. There can be assumptions that it was done with stock (73 to 77) Bronco parts, but that is only an assumption. Over the years I have seen steering boxes sourced from GM, Scouts, IH trucks, Lincolns, Toyota, Nissan, and some I never found out what they were from. There was even one that bolted up to the input of the original manual steering box. And it wouldn't surprise me if someone did an external ram like early mustangs of mid-70s 4WD F150. That is a complete unknown.

And the power steering option was only available on Broncos with the V8. But power steering did exist in cars with the straight 6. The same straight 6 as the Bronco, so getting brackets, pulleys, pump and so forth to match the engine isn't that big of a deal.

Don't be surprised if the wildhorses link above doesn't match what you have. Or maybe you got lucky and it does.

bmbm

It is good you have PS installed on your Bronco, it has been one of my favorite upgrades on my 250 six. You may have the old style Thompson PS pump like I have which I am considering changing to the Saginaw pump. I don't know how long PS pumps last but mine is pretty old since I acquired it used about 15 years ago. Would be interesting to see a picture of your setup.
Also, if you are not aware, go to fordsix.com. Good forum with lots of info on inline six maintenance and modifications. Very knowledgeable and helpful members just like here.

I don't know if this part is still available just for illustration purposes only for what I will go to:
https://www.performanceonline.com/p...Cm1BFlpxyCsuucYH5j0vrKEs1Bq7ssexoCUEgQAvD_BwE

Also be aware that that your 170/200 PS pump bracket does not interchange with the 250 as the alternator and PS pump bracket is different so some parts advertised as fitting 170/200/250 should be investigated. Was a surprise to me since the 170 looks basically the same as the 250.