• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 steering column wiring question 66 gurus please help!

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I am putting in a TBP flaming river auto column in my 66. I am trying to get the wiring hooked up and according to my chiltons manual and the wiring diagram that was sent with the column, my wire colors are different. I have read that this can be common with the 66 year. So I think I have figured out a couple the wire colors that match but others don't. Please see pictures below and could you help me figure out which wire does what?

What I think I have correct.

White/blue strip......... front right blinker

Green/white stripe...... front left blinker

Blue.......................... turn signal main power

What I need help with,

Brown(looks like maybe a white stripe)????

Yellow??????

Red/black stripe... hazard??

The yellow and green wires in the first picture.... Does that go to the light up the gear shift indicator.

66 gurus please help I would like to get this done this weekend. Thanks.

Attachments

• 9.14.17_Dash_Wiring.jpg
    9.14.17_Dash_Wiring.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 9.14.17_Dash_Wiring1.jpg
    9.14.17_Dash_Wiring1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 9.14.17_Dash_Wiring2.jpg
    9.14.17_Dash_Wiring2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Here are the colors as I see them

Big plug 6 wires

Brown(white stripe) goes.........?????

Green(white stripe) goes..........????? maybe front left blinker.

White(blue stripe) goes............????? maybe front right blinker.

Yellow goes.............????

Red(black Stripe) goes.............????? maybe hazard

Blue goes.................???? maybe turn signal main power

Green and yellow wire going into small plug.................?????

I want to make sure I get this done correctly the first time for once. Thanks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Brown goes to horn.

Green -white to one of the front turn signals, white-blue is the other one.

Yellow is horn power.

Red-black to to brake switch.

The 2 pin connector has the rear turn/brake wires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does the new column use the newer style turn signal switch with the hazard switch on the column? If so you will need to convert your horn to use a relay. You will have only one horn contact, therefore there is nowhere for the power pass through.
Unless it's something different in there?

Paul

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Paul,

Yes it does have the hazard on the column, I thought I ordered a relay but I guess I didn't or I already lost it.... If I cant find one locally I will be ordering one from WH.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool, thanks.
Although, it does not have to be an original type relay unless you prefer that, or you're wanting everything to look more factory-ish when you're done.

A standard 4-pin box relay ("Bosch type") would work fine. Although the weather-resistant kind would be better than a standard one when under the hood.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Matt, here is a diagram with the '66 colors.

You will need to use a horn relay but it can be added under the dash using existing wires. You will need to add a wire from the hazard flasher to the new column connector.

Attachments

• 66 column to gm connector.jpg
    66 column to gm connector.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 101
  • horn relay for 66.jpg
    horn relay for 66.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
One more question before I get this done this weekend.
Viper in your diagram:

For the front right turn signal wire 2(coming from the 6 pin connector) is used but not wire 49? Or are both used?

Same thing for wire 3? Use the one coming from the 6 pin connector and disregard wire 50?

And lastly, wire 810 use the one coming from the 6 pin connector and disregard wire 810A?

If that's the case then what do I do about the 3 wires, 49,50,810A? Just terminate them? Thank you

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
One more question before I get this done this weekend.
Viper in your diagram:

For the front right turn signal wire 2(coming from the 6 pin connector) is used but not wire 49? Or are both used?

Same thing for wire 3? Use the one coming from the 6 pin connector and disregard wire 50?

And lastly, wire 810 use the one coming from the 6 pin connector and disregard wire 810A?

If that's the case then what do I do about the 3 wires, 49,50,810A? Just terminate them? Thank you

You will connect them all. There are 2 wires at the front turn signals because that current needs to go to the front turn lights, the turn indicators and old hazard switch. Brake current also goes to old hazard switch.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Ran into an issue. When I plug wires 810/810A together to the adapter I get power when the key is on (using a test light). When I connect the adapter to the flaming river column I get no power using the test light. Any thoughts? Also the 460 yellow wire came out of the original harness plug as I was moving wires around. It won’t go back into the plug, is there anyway to bypass the plug or maybe put on a new terminal. I have attached a picture of the yellow wire. Thanks for the help. Matt

Attachments

• 8D31A787-42EC-4AA7-A740-F7C275DF2AEA.jpg
    8D31A787-42EC-4AA7-A740-F7C275DF2AEA.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 0F8D40C0-0C89-4CD0-847E-27142FDED948.jpg
    0F8D40C0-0C89-4CD0-847E-27142FDED948.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
And another question. In the diagram Viper posted above with the horn relay, it shows 4 terminals. The horn relay I got from WH only has three. Which wires go where?

Attachments

• 11.27.17_Horn Wiring.jpg
    11.27.17_Horn Wiring.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 11

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The horn relay you got from us is a stock original style Ford horn relay that would have come on '74 and later Broncos. The one in Viper's image is the industry standard "Bosch-style" or also known under other "style" names.

It's got the standard pinout with #30, #85, #86 and #87 pins (there is an 87A on many as well, but we don't normally use them) and that's what the diagram is based on.
His even shows an alternate wiring method from what would be considered a standard install for powering up a load like a fuel pump or whatever.
Where the #30 comes from the battery, #85 is ground, #86 is switched, and #87 goes to the device you're trying to power (the "load").
His diagram is just a slight variation on that theme for working with your existing horn circuit.

But should be able to be utilized or wired similarly to the diagram.
Or you can return it and get an aftermarket style relay like he's using. Maybe he can pop back in and give you a quick diagram of how to make the Ford relay work.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also the 460 yellow wire came out of the original harness plug as I was moving wires around. It won’t go back into the plug, is there anyway to bypass the plug or maybe put on a new terminal.

Guessing you've already gotten past this little gem, but just in case, yeah, I can see that wire isn't going to do you any good as-is! No way it's going back in the connector because too much of it's missing, and the rest is just all corroded and reduced in it's ability to work well.

So yes, if you can't find a correct Ford type crimp contact to slip into the old connector housing, you can just bypass the old connector and either crimp it together ("temporarily" of course;) ) or use some type of single-wire connector to run along side the old one.

As long as you have enough wire you should be good.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and since that one is in such bad shape, before you put too much effort into fixing it alone, I would take a close peek at all the others to make sure they're not following close behind.
If they're even slightly questionable I would say this is the time to make your own connector. A nice Weatherpack or Delphi or Packard connector of some kind would do the trick and last well into your Broncos second life.

Paul

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul as always your posts are very informative. Still working on it, just not enough time in the day when you have kids in sports!!

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Oh, and since that one is in such bad shape, before you put too much effort into fixing it alone, I would take a close peek at all the others to make sure they're not following close behind.
If they're even slightly questionable I would say this is the time to make your own connector. A nice Weatherpack or Delphi or Packard connector of some kind would do the trick and last well into your Broncos second life.

Paul

Paul, I finally got the connector apart and you are correct, its pretty worn out and brittle. I am going to replace it but have a question. Do I need to use an new connector or can I just connect wire to wire and skip the connector? I plan on a new wiring harness at some point but that will not be until next summer at the earliest.

Attachments

• 12.1.17_Plug.jpg
    12.1.17_Plug.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 12.1.17_Plug1.jpg
    12.1.17_Plug1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 16

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can absolutely just splice wire to wire. The function is not lost, only the convenience for maintenance. But since you say you're going to be replacing the wiring entirely anyway, then it's a simple matter of just cutting them apart when that happens.

The only downside is if you have to service the turn signal switch for some reason before you are ready for the re-wire.

Paul