• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 u13 roadster help

Tzorn11

Brand new to forum. Hoping I can get some help tired of researching bought a 1966 u13 bronco roadster intending on doing a restored modification. I have determined from Ford corporate it was built in early September 1965 one of the first 200 built. It has eyebrow grill rear shocks pointing forward which appears to make it a Budd body. Even more interesting matching numbers runs great factory full doors factory top with all windows. It is West Texas desert truck very little rust no panel need replaced. Does any one know of another? The only original roadsters I can find have no full doors or Top. I don’t want to modify if it’s extremely rare.

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
You came to the right place. You’ll get plenty of good feedback here.

https://roadsteru13.com is an excellent resource as well so I would also start there and get it registered there if it has not been already.

When you say it has the doors and top, I assume you are referring to steel doors/top rather than canvas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Brand new to forum. Hoping I can get some help tired of researching bought a 1966 u13 bronco roadster intending on doing a restored modification. I have determined from Ford corporate it was built in early September 1965 one of the first 200 built. It has eyebrow grill rear shocks pointing forward which appears to make it a Budd body. Even more interesting matching numbers runs great factory full doors factory top with all windows. It is West Texas desert truck very little rust no panel need replaced. Does any one know of another? The only original roadsters I can find have no full doors or Top. I don’t want to modify if it’s extremely rare.

Welcome! All roadsters are rare :) You could get them with inserts, hard doors, soft doors and soft top, but no hard top option was ever offered for the u13, someone added it to your bronco or bought one from a dealer and added it. Is it a 66' top or a 67-77 top? There's also no way to determine if it was in the first two hundred built or not, since 66 Bronco vins ran along the line with F100 vins, starting with 732001. Post up pics when you can, we like pics :) I've been gathering 66 u13 vins over the last year and a half, and have found about 450 still existing. Also, there's no such thing as "numbers matching" in the bronco world as well.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you post up the VIN? Photos also help the process of establishing your Broncos lineage. You can become a 'contributor' for $12 and it makes sharing photos easy.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

Here is my vin u13fl754573. I understand no matching numbers that was meaning it’s original truck with original motor. The doors and top were special order Budd Body as well. I will get photos up in next couple days not the most tech Davy guy. I own a car dealership I have a tech guy that helps me. Sorry I can’t post them now.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

Their were no aftermarket hard tops available in 1966 the old top like I have was made by Budd Body they also made the steel doors. This is not a many year later after market accessories vehicle.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

I would also like to respond to the first 200 comment I made in researching it appeared the ones manufactured in August September and part of October were Budd bodies easily distinguishable by forward facing rear shocks. When ford took over full manufacturing in October they faced the rear shocks opposite.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Photos will be a great way to learn more about your U13. By the VIN, it is not a real early built one, but still early enough to have some of the early features like the eyebrow grill. The forward facing rear shocks were maintained through the '66 year model and really don't have any significance by identifying a 'Budd Body' The Budd body has several differences from the Ford body and one of the most obvious is the absence of the recess just below the driver's seat for the "Ford" tag. The Budd Industries Bodies were carried over into the '67 model year. I have a December 1966 built 1967 U13 original 289 that is a Budd body.

The top that you are describing sounds very much like what is called a "Kelly" top which is made by Kelly Manufacturing and many were used on U13's when the owners were tired of getting wet!

The community here on Classic Broncos is very knowledgeable and you can find out almost anything about the '66-'77 Bronco.

Welcome to the Forum.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

I checked the recess below drivers seat to indicate the ford as well. It does not have it. Check my vin I posted manufactured September 1965. I also have Budd body fender chrome tie downs you will see when I post pictures. It will also be unusual to most here because I have scoured hours and every picture I can find for another. I have whole history on truck ownership I got it from individual who has owned it since 1974 and he bought it from boss who bought it new. I have registrations the last issued Texas title from 1974. The plates from Texas 1975 are still on it front and back. I have the last on road registration. The sales tax receipt when it was purchased.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

The other comment I would like to make on Bud Body industries being carried over into 1967. Their were certain bud parts used in 1967 no complete Budd bodies they ended in October 1965. I have spoke to Ford researchers and scoured every resource imaginable so if someone says the have a Budd Body 1967 I call b.s. maybe Budd Parts.

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
An easy way to differentiate a 1966 hard top is to look at the lift gate.
-If it has the locking mechanism separate from the handle, it’s a 1966.
-1967 onwards have the lock integrated in to the handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

Ford fan says I don’t have a real early one. I guess my question is when Bronco production started in August of 1965 and ford researchers told me mine was built early September 1965 seems early to me. I will also post my ford letter on Ford letterhead with build month and year.What is early production? Don’t trust me put in early ford vin decode yourself it’s free. I’m only here as a bronco fan looking to find another like mine.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

Bfoldy I will post pictures of my hard Top and Bronco hopefully tomorrow and you can help me sort it out.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Everyone who has responded to you in this thread has been into 66' broncos for years if not decades and everything we've said is true. August 65' is considered "early" to most of us 66' guys, while some will go as far as saying "early" is vins 732001-733000, the first few days production. Stick around and you'll learn something about your u13, we've been at the 66' game for a long time. 66' is the most unique year of them all, with dozens of one year only parts, paint, and upholstery. There's factory literature and dealer literature out there, shows what optional equipment was and wasn't available. I have fender tie downs as well on my 9/65' u14, but they're not factory or dealer, they weren't an option. Looking forward to pics.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Welcome welcome.. Good to have you with us

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Everyone who has responded to you in this thread has been into 66' broncos for years if not decades and everything we've said is true. August 65' is considered "early" to most of us 66' guys, while some will go as far as saying "early" is vins 732001-733000, the first few days production. Stick around and you'll learn something about your u13, we've been at the 66' game for a long time. 66' is the most unique year of them all, with dozens of one year only parts, paint, and upholstery. There's factory literature and dealer literature out there, shows what optional equipment was and wasn't available. I have fender tie downs as well on my 9/65' u14, but they're not factory or dealer, they weren't an option. Looking forward to pics.

fanatics one might say :)

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
TZorn11, welcome, and sounds like you have a nice Bronco. These guys who posted are the most knowledgeable in the realm of U13s and 1966 Broncos in general, as much of the information from Ford is not as readily available, since Marti reports are not available for this particular year.

Search "1966" in the search bar, and you will be able to spend hours reading about all of the fun nuances of this year (and into '67 as well).

As for early 66, the only way to tell is with the VIN, and that doesn't quantify how many were produced then, as they were rolling out other vehicles at that factory too. FYI, My U13 also came with hard doors as well and I can't wait to put original inserts on it when I get around to restoring it.