• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 U15 Bronco

jnaphan

Some years back I inherited my fathers 1966 U15Bronco. Unfortunately at the time I was working overseas and after coming back on vacation one year and finding the clutch needed replacement the vehicle basically ended up in a garage for the last 15 or so years. Now being retired and back in the states (my wife says I am just unemployed) I would like to get the vehicle back in running order. In this context I have a couple questions?

1. Any ideas on what the things are that "have to be done", "good to be done" and "nice to be done". And what would be the approximate costs for these?

2. Is a restoration using all the original parts worth more than a "Restomod" where selective upgrades (e.g. disc brakes) are installed?

Thanks, John

BOBS 2 68S

Loc.
Hudson, CO
1st would be safety. Brakes, new tires, exhaust that doesn't leak into the cabin ,non-leaking fuel system.that kind of things. So you can drive it and find the other changes that sute your needs.
Side note...
When I retired my wife bought me a time clock and put on the wall next to my project EB
Good luck and welcome

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Changing ALL fluids. And I mean all of them. Front and rear differentials, transfer case, transmission, engine oil, brake fluid, coolant. And any others that I might have left out…
You are extremely likely to need a new fuel pump.
New tires for sure as mentioned.
If you can't prove from old receipts or memories that it was ever done, plan to replace the rear wheel bearings.
Repack and adjust front wheel bearings.

And no, generally speaking upgrading to certain newer parts like disc brakes and fuel injection does not lower the value of a bronco yet. Unless you have some rare bronco, originality is not as important as new stuff. New paint over just about everything else enhances the value of a bronco. If the original paint is pristine, that would be different.
The drivetrain exception to that rule is a new Coyote motor and wazoo overdrive transmission. Generally upgrading an engine does not add a lot of value, but going to the trouble of doing a clean install on a Coyote definitely does.
But that doesn't sound like your direction at this point.

If your dad was the original owner and bought it new there would be some value in keeping it as original as possible. But if you're going to drive it the perceived value of originality is outweighed by the absolute value of things like disc brakes.

DrDanWWW

I own a 66. From what I have gathered over the past three years, keeping a 66 original will add value. But keeping it original is really more of a individual goal. I wonder if ANY 66s can stay truly original over the years. My brother's Bronco (now mine) had the engine replaced when he burned it up once. He bolted the spare to the side (not a good idea).

I did a frame-off restomod: new suspension, 4 wheel disc, power steering... power coated frame, new paint, bigger tires, etc. It ripped up $30k. Of course, it is a EB, and it is beautiful and looks more original than tricked out chopped up rock climber - which isn't a bad thing, especially if the Bronco is a pile of junk and you have nothing original to lose.

Like the others (who are more experienced than me here) I like the suggestions of getting the thing more drivable than original: disc brakes, power steering, new suspension. If your 66 was rode hard and put away wet, then the leaf springs are probably sagging and worn out.

My opinion is that the number one thing that keeps a 66 looking original is stock wheels and tires with no lift (body or suspension), uncut of course, and original Ford color - even if it is repainted.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as mentioned, change the fluids and get it running. I would plan on needing new wheel cylinders and probably a new master cylinder for the brakes. I would just get the original drum brakes working as good as you can for now. New battery, tuneup, regular maintenance things like that. Safe and reliable.
How about some pictures so we can get a idea of the condition.
Are you planning to do the work yourself, or looking for a shop?
Learn from the guys on this forum. Some projects take years.
Plan what you want out of the Bronco. Some guys like them original style, some like them all beefed up, and some people like them just like brand new.
Good luck

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard John!!! what the others said are all key items

OP
OP
J

jnaphan

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will get some photos asap. Thanks, John

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another thing I would do is check the VIN for it's date of birth. The earlier it was built in the '66 model year (could be as early as May of '65 for some, but don't think the hard top/wagon went that far back?) the more it asks to be kept original.
Otherwise, all of the previous comments still apply.

And frankly, even if it's got save-worthy bones, if you're going to drive it you're better off upgrading it all and just keeping the old parts in a box so you can give them to the next owner.
That way you can be safe, have more fun while you own it, and still keep some of the value of original parts. Almost anything can be put back to original if you have the old parts and no one would ever know.

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Another thing I would do is check the VIN for it's date of birth. The earlier it was built in the '66 model year (could be as early as May of '65 for some, but don't think the hard top/wagon went that far back?) the more it asks to be kept original.
Otherwise, all of the previous comments still apply.

And frankly, even if it's got save-worthy bones, if you're going to drive it you're better off upgrading it all and just keeping the old parts in a box so you can give them to the next owner.
That way you can be safe, have more fun while you own it, and still keep some of the value of original parts. Almost anything can be put back to original if you have the old parts and no one would ever know.

Paul

Yeah the earliest known to exist is a first day wagon.

20200220_221038.jpg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Take care of all the stuff above and get it running reliability then just drive it until next year Bronco season. take it to local Bronco events or fly out to some. enjoy the events and learn what you really like and want out of your bronco. do each modification once and do it right. allot of long term owners have done things step by step and end up reinventing the wheel every 5 years or so costing 3 times the expense in the end. chasing modifications is a never ending project. figure out the tire size you want to run then modify to run the tires. gears or horse power has to change every 2 inches. trust me you only want to change gears once unless you rich or something. the Bronco is a total package as stock with the V8 its light and nimble and very outdated. getting the Bronco some creacher comforts starts the modification path and its power and nimbleness goes away and you start making further modifications to get them back then it starts getting real expensive and time consuming.