• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 U14 LUBER Project

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks good Kyle, congrats on the progress!

I am in the throws of my own DD LUBr project. Taking it back to uncut. First time with quarter panel replacement....so far so good.

Attachments

• photo(51).jpg
    photo(51).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Josh,

I have been watching your project from the sidelines. I am always glad to see a Bronco make the transition back to uncut. I cut one about 10 years ago and I told myself I would never cut one again (they are just too hard to find).
We have actually found 3 1966 U14's here locally and they are all uncut. One for sale, One maybe, and one not yet.

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Still have the 68 patiently waiting in line too. 351W, Narrowed HP 44, NP 435, and all new Tom's 2.5" suspension.

Attachments

• Personal Pics 022.jpg
    Personal Pics 022.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Getting closer. It's nice to see the progress.

Attachments

• DSCN0461.jpg
    DSCN0461.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0460.jpg
    DSCN0460.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0459.jpg
    DSCN0459.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0457.jpg
    DSCN0457.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN0254.jpg
    DSCN0254.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 58

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks great! Its amazing how ugly vehicles are without front fenders ;D

Excellent job on the door gaps, its a real skill to pull that off.

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. The gaps were a hand full. Still some work to do on the tailgate gaps. It's been a lot of work, but a lot of fun.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Looks great! That thing is gonna be a beauty when it's finished! :cool:

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think it's going to be a pretty cool driver. The vision for it was "plain jane" so right now we are debating whether to paint the tailgate and grill letters red or not. Any thoughts?

I say no.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Red seats, red letters and red pinstripe would be pretty sweet.

Did you use the original door hinges, new ones or rebuild them?

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Excellent job on the door gaps, its a real skill to pull that off.
I agree, I think thats what sets the good Broncos apart from the great Broncos, straight body lines and doors that shut as they should and have even gaps.

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Red seats, red letters and red pinstripe would be pretty sweet.

Did you use the original door hinges, new ones or rebuild them?

I don't think I have ever seen red seats in a Bronco before but that would probably be cool. The only problem is the seats are done and they are done in white. You have me thinking now though....

We used the original door and hinges on the passenger side and they were fine. We replaced the door on the drivers side and the hinges were probably in that gray area of not needing to be replaced, but also could be replaced, so we didn't open that can of worms and left them alone.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I don't think I have ever seen red seats in a Bronco before but that would probably be cool. The only problem is the seats are done and they are done in white. You have me thinking now though....

We used the original door and hinges on the passenger side and they were fine. We replaced the door on the drivers side and the hinges were probably in that gray area of not needing to be replaced, but also could be replaced, so we didn't open that can of worms and left them alone.

Did you just replace with another nice set of stock hinges or get new, if new, where from?

1974 Ford went crazy on the red, red seats, carpet, dash, pad even I think...it was a bloody mess!

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good stock hinges both sides. I had read a couple horror stories on replacment hinges and just did not want to go down that road.

I would have to see the red seats in against this white paint, but I think that might look kind of cool.

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Test fitting the top.

Attachments

• DSCN0501.jpg
    DSCN0501.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN0502.jpg
    DSCN0502.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The truck is in my Uncles shop about 30 minutes away so more pictures to follow next weekend.
We are down to detail stuff now door seals, rear glass, install seats...........

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good News--Bad News

The good news is that the project looks good and is pretty much completed (we thought).

The Bad news is that when we took it out for some shake down runs we found a vibration in the motor above 2200 rpms. The previous owner had told us that the motor had been rebuilt in the not to distance past (yeah I know what PO doesn't say that). After general inspection and some head scratching we pulled the pan and found a 2MAE Crank. Turns out that this is a 81 and newer 302 crank with 50oz balance as opposed to the 28oz balance. After weighing the options the motor will come out tomorrow and the correct crank will be installed. Wow one small mistake can sure make a really big headache!

Attachments

• DSCN0529[1].JPG
    DSCN0529[1].JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Uncle is the kind of guy who can't sit still. Makes things alot easier have two guys at it:

Attachments

• 1015101917[1].jpg
    1015101917[1].jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 40