• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1973 Bronco with 3.5" Duff Suspension Lift

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I was also thinking of ordering an adjustable tracking bar, any other parts you would suggest with the 3.5 suspension lift that I did not list previously?

I think the adjustable trackbars are a great item, but it's only "needed' if your axle is currently off-center even with a drop bracket.
If I remember from the previous discussions, you do have the drop bracket and the dropped pitman arm, correct?

If so, then a general list follows. But those two items would be the key.
The NEEDED items:

1. Pitman
2. Trackbar bracket (except on '76 and '77 EB's with converted steering linkage)
3. Soft brake lines from the frame to the axles.
4. Parking brake cables (but only if you wheel it)
5. Offset C-bushings. Likely 6-7 degree for most with 3.5" lift.

Some OPTIONAL items:

1. Adjustable trackbar. Needed to fine-tune the axle centering, and it does make it easier to install.
2. parking brake cables (see #4 above) if needed.
3. Longer radius arms only if longer travel or potentially softer ride (with side effects) is desired.
4. Lower rear radius arm brackets. (only if C-bushings are not desired or sufficient) again with side-effects.
5. Trackbar riser (instead of a drop bracket) if needed or desired, depending on usage and other changes.

It's all I can think of at the moment. From the discussions, I think you've already got the basic necessities.

Paul

OP
OP
W

wake2wake

Thank you for the great feedback.

As far as the leaf springs go, yes, the double wrap faces the front. I triple checked this both before and after install to make sure.

I will try out the manual method you describe, then buy some different shims as needed, hopefully that will solve the issue. The 4's I have now are steel.

I do have the drop bracket and the dropped pitman arm installed. To determine if the axle is currently center, do you typically just measure from the wheel well’s center, to the tire’s outer sidewall on each side?

Thanks again for the responses and input.

Casey

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No. On a Bronco, you NEVER use the body as any kind of a reference point.
Yes, it "might" be close, but it often is not. So your best method is between the wheels, or knuckles, or for that matter, any easily referenced point on the axle housing, to the frame.

I usually put a piece of tape on the backside of the frame crossmember under the engine and mark a line mid-way between the rails.
Put a piece of tape on the center of the axle housing (I usually base that on the outer yokes where the ball-joints mount) and draw a line on that.
Then I hang a plumb-bob (or reasonable facsimile thereof) from that point on the frame and match things up.

You can usually tell pretty closely what you have. I doubt most would feel or ever notice something like a quarter inch off one way or the other, but I still like to get them as perfectly centered as possible.
And remember, here too you have to be at normal ride height before any measurements and adjustments will mean anything.

Paul

OP
OP
W

wake2wake

Just wanted to get back to everyone and post so it may help others. I purchased and installed the 6 degree shims and it made a HUGE difference. Thanks again for all the input along the way, it feels great (and safer) to drive!