• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1973 front turn signal

pocketlock

Contributor
Rewiring a friend 73 and getting to the front lights. Did the drivers side with no issue, 3 wire light, park, ground turn, easy. Went to the passenger side and the front turn signal light (not the side marker) only has 2 wires. What appear to be a park light (tan/brown) and a ground (black) I’ve looked all over the bezel and don’t see an extra wire anywhere and when I test the light it works as expected with black as ground and tan as power. Am I missing something? Did this get swapped with another years light at some point? I compared it to mine that has new bezels from Tom’s, and both of mine have the 3 wires. Just confused and looking for some guidance on wiring 3 wires in a 2 wires plug.

Attachments

• IMG_7606.jpeg
    IMG_7606.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7607.jpeg
    IMG_7607.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
P

pocketlock

Contributor
Working on removing the bezel to see if there's a broken wire or something but in the meantime has anybody seen something like this?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The separate ground seems to be missing. The original ones, I’m pretty sure, have only the two wires coming out of the main harness plug, with a third separate wire for the ground. The three wires do, however, all come from the center boot covering the socket. If I remember correctly.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ground is the body. You have a running light and turn signal light as i recall. Right side wire grounds to front clip. Pretty sure anyway. When I rewired I ran extra wire over to the left to be sure it was grounded.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ve had to run separate ground wires on some as well. But replacement buckets come with three wires. Or should at least…
All out of the center boot, but only two in the main connector. Ground wire is by itself.

OP
OP
P

pocketlock

Contributor
Ground is the body. You have a running light and turn signal light as i recall. Right side wire grounds to front clip. Pretty sure anyway. When I rewired I ran extra wire over to the left to be sure it was grounded.
This is what I ended up doing. It was just odd that they were different and with it on the truck I was unable to efficiently ground the housing to make it work. Once I had it off and cleaned off the threads it worked like expected, though still only had 2 wires vs, the other one which had 3. Added a wire to the stud for extra grounding and it works properly now. Thanks!

OP
OP
P

pocketlock

Contributor
I’ve had to run separate ground wires on some as well. But replacement buckets come with three wires. Or should at least…
All out of the center boot, but only two in the main connector. Ground wire is by itself.
Yeah this one was only 2 wires, just odd when they were different from each other. Ended up grounding a stud on the mounting hardware and it works properly now. Thanks!

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
All front turn signal assemblies come with the same two wire plug, as you have on your passenger side.
69 model year added a separate ground wire, as shown in WH photo below.

1725152353608.png 1725152198352.png

I don't think Bronco had a three wire connector on any front turn signal assembly?
Your driver side assembly may have come from a different Ford vehicle?

1725152737215.png