• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1973 vin code question

randbjorn

Contributor
So I picked up a 73 the other day and I looked up the vin info was wondering if anyone knows anything about the c4 body code? Also, how can you tell if it was originally equipped with a sport or ranger package? It has all of the sport trim but no sport badging on the fenders? Any info would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 60

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
C4 is a ranger trim code. Rangers came with all the sport trim pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
randbjorn

randbjorn

Contributor
Cool. Thanks! Any idea what a model u151 is? The broncohio decoder only makes reference to a u150 and a u152. I'll be sure and get that Marti report as well.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a ranger, I do not have any of the window chrome, chrome on the front grill nor any raised lettering on grill, its painted on, unlike yours, which may not mean anything as i think every item was select-able or delete-able.

Your front fender is a ranger "bronco" emblem like mine. You should have carpet, and upholstered door panels, upholstery is houndstooth i believe, lots of varying colored threads. I also have chrome bumpers. Well, not on anymore:)

OP
OP
randbjorn

randbjorn

Contributor
What you're saying is exactly why I asked the question to begin with. There is a lot of info out there and some is conflicting. I'm fairly new to the early bronco scene and just trying to get my head around all of it asap. I actually went to look at this bronco thinking it was a 74 (which I what I was looking for) because it was advertised as such. Turned out to be a 73 but it was soo nice I couldn't pass it up. It does have all the details you mentioned and I'm looking forward to doing a few upgrades.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are production changes during the year and I think 73 had some changes as well, cant remember what, rear brakes are one I think, unusual evap setup another.

OP
OP
randbjorn

randbjorn

Contributor
Tomorrow I'll have a pic/question about that unusual evap system.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Turned out to be a 73 but it was soo nice I couldn't pass it up. It does have all the details you mentioned and I'm looking forward to doing a few upgrades.

Which year is registered as? How did you discover it was a '73?
If it was the VIN, that's one thing. But if it's just the fact that the door pillar decal says it was made in, for instance, October of '73, then that's still consistent with being a '74.

Cool Bronco either way. Both were good years, and both had some oddball oddities here and there.
Do you have the hazard flasher/4-way switch on both the dash and the steering column? Or just one or the other?

Have fun with your new cool toy.

Paul

OP
OP
randbjorn

randbjorn

Contributor
It only has 1 hazard switch on the dash and It's definitely a 73 (oct 72)Vin, title, everything shows it. The seller for some reason remembered it being a 74 but it belonged to his father and it was an honest mistake. I felt bad for him. He listed the bronco and uleashed a pack of wolves trying to get to this thing. Headed back up to Stockton sometime soon to pick some other parts the owner had stored off site. When I do, I'll be sure to stop by and leave at least a few dollars with you Paul.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, sounds good! Thanks.
Sounds like it might be a "Q" VIN then? Where the sixth digit would be like "U15GLQ...." maybe? If so, be sure to pop over to Viperwolf's thread titled "72-73 owners, mind your P's and Q's" to add your info.
That's one of the strange changeovers I was referring to before.
Check out the thread. Makes good reading for new '73 owners.;)

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
What you're saying is exactly why I asked the question to begin with. There is a lot of info out there and some is conflicting. I'm fairly new to the early bronco scene and just trying to get my head around all of it asap. I actually went to look at this bronco thinking it was a 74 (which I what I was looking for) because it was advertised as such. Turned out to be a 73 but it was soo nice I couldn't pass it up. It does have all the details you mentioned and I'm looking forward to doing a few upgrades.

Nothing wrong with that. Jump on them deals when you can

jray

You can also order the original build sheet from Ford......