• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Bronco Ranger Build.

mini73

Went and seen the Bronco today that I have been in contact the owner with this week. He already told me that the engine did not run and needed work so right there I was already knew I was going to offer less than what he was asking. I believe it is the Ranger package (ranger badge on glove box and chrome trim down the sides) but not sure till I look into it. Anyways, all the panels are solid with hardly no rust that I can see until I start working on it.(sure there might be more) It still has the original seats, trim etc.. No top but that is ok as I can always get a top for it but I think I will mostly just use the bikini top once I get it on the road. It is still uncut and I plan on keeping it that way. Want to maybe put a 1" body lift, small suspension lift and 31x10.5 wheels on it. Thinking about keeping the original color also. Not sure on that but got time to think about it. I did not have all the money upfront but we typed up a contact with the terms that we both agreed with and had his friend witness it. (His friend where the bronco is stored builds hotrods and says he has done this before). Gave him a down payment on it to guarantee its mine and i will come and get it along with the title once I give him all the money. I trust him and he said he just wants to see it go to a good home. Truly, he did not know what he had and did not realize they were going for big money now. Anyways once I do get home I just want to get the engine running and hopefully make it road worthy for awhile and enjoy it until I am ready to start working on it. Don't know what it will take to get running yet but if I don't get it running, I will either rebuild it or put a new motor in it start working on it earlier. I know the carb is gone but that is about it for now until I get it. Probably going to go ahead and try to get a carb for it now. Would a 4 barrel edlebrock carb work for what I want? I am going to try and post updates once I get this and hopefully get help along the way.

Attachments

• securedownload-1.jpg
    securedownload-1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 306
  • securedownload-2.jpg
    securedownload-2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 302
  • securedownload-3.jpg
    securedownload-3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 275
  • securedownload-4.jpg
    securedownload-4.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 334
  • securedownload-5.jpg
    securedownload-5.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 312
  • securedownload-6.jpg
    securedownload-6.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 254
  • securedownload-7.jpg
    securedownload-7.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
congrats on the purchase. I am a new owner and it will consume you. My new favorite thing is the Wish List feature at Tom's Bronco Parts...

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

congrats on the purchase. I am a new owner and it will consume you. My new favorite thing is the Wish List feature at Tom's Bronco Parts...

Yeah... I already started one of those while looking for Bronco's

BR549

Loc.
huntsville
A lot of people prefer the stock 2 bbl carb. And it would be the easiest to get you up and going. If you are wanting a 4bbl , contact me I have an edelbrock aluminum intake and electric choke 600 cfm carb that I would make you a deal on.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

A lot of people prefer the stock 2 bbl carb. And it would be the easiest to get you up and going. If you are wanting a 4bbl , contact me I have an edelbrock aluminum intake and electric choke 600 cfm carb that I would make you a deal on.[/QUOTE

Thats what I will want to get. Something that will get me going so I can find out what I need to do to the engine. Ill keep you in mind and thanks for the offer. got to finish paying the guy and get it first.

Last edited:

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Congrates on the purchase, and yes it is a Ranger. Looking forward to seeing the progress you make and if you need any help. Your on the right forum!:cool: No shortage of great people willing to lend a hand or give you great advice.:cool::cool:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I kinda doubt its orginal color was black from some of the pics but you never know until you check the paint code.
It looks like you already have a 4v manifold all you need is a carb.
A edelbrock carb should be fine for that setup just make sure you get one with a kickdown lever if they sell it if not they sell a lever that will install on the carb and you'll also need a kickdown extension so everything will hook up correctly. Edelbrock carbs are not the best offroad but they will work fine on the street. If your buying a new one get the 500cfm version. I feel its a little better than the 600 cfm version but either will work.
I can usually pick up used 4v carbs for $50 or less.

Also when you get it you will need a radiator shroud its a very important item on thse old broncos with there small cooling system maybe even more important when you have A/C.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

If it's factory black those are hard to come by... Congrats.

No its not black. I Wanted to get the info from the vin sticker on the door post but forgot. Its a a dark blue. I am thinking just keeping it like its original color. The original interior trim is there but its messed up along with the original seats.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

If it's factory black those are hard to come by... Congrats.

I kinda doubt its orginal color was black from some of the pics but you never know until you check the paint code.
It looks like you already have a 4v manifold all you need is a carb.
A edelbrock carb should be fine for that setup just make sure you get one with a kickdown lever if they sell it if not they sell a lever that will install on the carb and you'll also need a kickdown extension so everything will hook up correctly. Edelbrock carbs are not the best offroad but they will work fine on the street. If your buying a new one get the 500cfm version. I feel its a little better than the 600 cfm version but either will work.
I can usually pick up used 4v carbs for $50 or less.

Also when you get it you will need a radiator shroud its a very important item on thse old broncos with there small cooling system maybe even more important when you have A/C.

I thought all I needed was the carb. DId not know about the kick down and everything. I am wanting to go the easiest route I guess when it comes to getting this thing started. I'm hoping it does not need much. Where is the best place to get a 4v 500cm Edelbrock carb? Got to figure the best places to get the engine things anyway.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

more questions

I forgot to look and to ask the guy if the bronco had disk brakes or not. What year did the bronco's start coming with disk's? I know the rear is drum. Just trying to make myself a parts list (Big parts list). Also I have had nothing but manual transmission vehicles ever since driving. They are fun to drive except when in traffic. Just wondering if I end up having to take out the motor to get it rebuilt due to me not getting it running is I should go to a 3 speed manual? I like the idea of an auto but isn't the manual transmission cheaper and easier to work on? How much effort is in changing from an automatic transmission to a manual transmission? The bronco will be used mostly on road and maybe some off road at times. But if I get it like I want it maybe a little offloading. I'm not even sure what kind of rear end and front diff the bronco has. I got more looking to do! I know this is alot of questions but I need to do something until I pick up my Bronco. Might as well ask!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO

I'm thinking white - chips on the glove box, behind the passenger door panel, rear wheel wells. But a white Ranger is about as rare as a black Ranger. Maybe more so. Cool either way.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
76 was the first year of disc brakes although it has been said some 75's had them. Also over the years people do swap disc brakes on so even if it has disc brakes you need to find out what conversion was done. gm or ford. If it has no disc brakes then you can add that to your list either buy a kit or find the parts yourself.
Might try any of the on line speed shops for a 500 cfm carb and pricing. Id also watch your local craigslist or even the classifieds on this board. You dont have to limit yourself to a 500 cfm or even a edelbrock carb. a 600cfm carb will work fine holley's work just as well and even better offroad then edelbrocks. it can also be easier to find a holley with the ford kickdown linkage. Might even what to check ebay
While I also like manual transmissions I would never suggest going back to the orgrinal 3sp they pretty much suck. manual swaps are not that involved but you have to get all the right parts. Id keep the auto for now drive it awhile learn more and then decide if you really want to swap. A 4 or 5 sp swap is a upgrade over the 3speed that really lacks a lot.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

I'm thinking white - chips on the glove box, behind the passenger door panel, rear wheel wells. But a white Ranger is about as rare as a black Ranger. Maybe more so. Cool either way.

I remember the guy saying when he was reading the data sticker on the door it being some kind of blue.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

76 was the first year of disc brakes although it has been said some 75's had them. Also over the years people do swap disc brakes on so even if it has disc brakes you need to find out what conversion was done. gm or ford. If it has no disc brakes then you can add that to your list either buy a kit or find the parts yourself.
Might try any of the on line speed shops for a 500 cfm carb and pricing. Id also watch your local craigslist or even the classifieds on this board. You dont have to limit yourself to a 500 cfm or even a edelbrock carb. a 600cfm carb will work fine holley's work just as well and even better offroad then edelbrocks. it can also be easier to find a holley with the ford kickdown linkage. Might even what to check ebay
While I also like manual transmissions I would never suggest going back to the orgrinal 3sp they pretty much suck. manual swaps are not that involved but you have to get all the right parts. Id keep the auto for now drive it awhile learn more and then decide if you really want to swap. A 4 or 5 sp swap is a upgrade over the 3speed that really lacks a lot.
Yeah all I want to do right now is get it home, get it running and enjoy it alittle while before I start woking on it. I had an idea of when then started putting discs on bronco's. Just did not get a chance to look to see if it had them or not. Just trying to make a list of things I want and might need thats all. Its killing me right now not being able to put my hands on it but I can not complain. The guy is giving me time to get all the funds up for it then I get it. We even made up a contract of the agreed terms.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I remember the guy saying when he was reading the data sticker on the door it being some kind of blue.

Could definately be light blue and just looked white to me in the pics. My trail rig, 76 Ranger, was originally Code P light blue. It's a very light baby blue.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Could definately be light blue and just looked white to me in the pics. My trail rig, 76 Ranger, was originally Code P light blue. It's a very light baby blue.
True. I dont remember what code he read off but I do remember looking in the bed and seeing a litter blue (on the rear well fender in one of the pics). Like baby blue color. It also had the dark blue w/ wood trim door panels like in one of the pictures that I posted up. Do have a pic of a bronco with that color on it? Wonder if the original color was that arcadia blue color?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Carburetor?

Been looking for a carb since I am going to need one. Just looking for one to get the motor going for now but if it runs good who knows. Ive been told I should look for a 500 to 600cfm carb. Trying to figure out if I need or want the electric choke or not. If anyone knows where I can get one at a good deal let me know. Im going to try and maybe get the motor running before going to pick the bronco up and bringing it home.

SP66

Bronco Guru
True. I dont remember what code he read off but I do remember looking in the bed and seeing a litter blue (on the rear well fender in one of the pics). Like baby blue color. It also had the dark blue w/ wood trim door panels like in one of the pictures that I posted up. Do have a pic of a bronco with that color on it? Wonder if the original color was that arcadia blue color?

Arcadia Blue

Last edited: