• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Ranger dash pad paint.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Continuing with the restoration trying to find the dark blue paint for the dash pad, armrests and rear armrests.

It has kind of a metallic look to it and wondering if anyone has found a close match in vinyl paint? Trying to stay true OEM and paint over the black vinyl on these pieces. I have found the dark blue, but nothing with a tinge of metallic. Thanks for your help.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Continuing with the restoration trying to find the dark blue paint for the dash pad, armrests and rear armrests.

It has kind of a metallic look to it and wondering if anyone has found a close match in vinyl paint? Trying to stay true OEM and paint over the black vinyl on these pieces. I have found the dark blue, but nothing with a tinge of metallic. Thanks for your help.

You might try getting it mixed if you have a sample that can be scanned. I had some SEM vinyl dye mixed at Napa and sprayed it on with an airbrush.

OP
OP

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Thank you. I may have to try that although I'm going to try seeing SEM's Shadow Blue in the flesh. Might be close.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I ended up with a non metallic blue for my armrests. This was a few years ago though. If I were to do it again, I'd probably try one of the below. I had trouble with some of the metallic spray paints because I couldn't get them mixed enough to provide a uniform metallic coat. It would be worth finding a way that's not your arm to mix/shake the paint.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/interior-paint-flexible-spray-medium-blue-metallic/141609

or

https://www.npdlink.com/product/interior-paint-flexible-spray-dark-blue-metallic/141598

OP
OP

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
I like the looks of those, although the dark blue is out of stock. I'll contact them tomorrow and see if I can't get a viewing of the actual colors of the 2. Thanks for your help.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Back in the day I had a Parts Plus Parts house. I sold DuPoint paint ..
But along with all that I also sold SEMS . WOW When it 1st came out I had Sems I could custom mix.
It was really great paint. But I ended up just selling the Spray can of it .But if you can find someone to mix it ... Then someone can custom mix it.
But a part's Paint expert can most likely custom mix it.