• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 Bronco Axel Question - Newb here.

Oatmeal

is it un-heard of to put a ford 9" in the rear and leave the d44 up front. Also, would it be easier to have my 9" cut down and put new axles inside the housing, or should i just try to find a narrower 9" rear.

Because i dont want my rear end sticking out 3 inches and my front flush.
The thing is, your F-100 axle, if I'm not mistaken, is only 28 spline.....like your Bronco's so, there is no upgrade in strength also, the housings are the older "banjo" style again, no upgrade there either. I would look at getting an F-150 axle and have it narrowed......31 spline shafts, bigger brakes and beefier housing. Also, most D44s (except a few early Jeep axles) do have bigger (than the early Bronco) 30 spline shafts and excellent Timken Set 10 axle bearings (lubed by the diff oil) which are pretty much maintenance free. Another axle worth looking for is the early International 1/2 ton Travelall-------semi-float D60 with 5 1/2 on 5 wheel pattern (although they're only 30 spline) same width as a Scout;)--------Hans

Oatmeal

Okay just reread your post I didn't catch where you said it was a 1979 F-100 (weren't they F-150s by then?) that should have the 31 spline shafts and bigger housing so........never mind%)-------Hans

Bronco Paul

@Oatmeal....yeah they still had the F100's...it just wasn't that popular with the "heavy half-ton" F150s around. I had a '77 F100 step-side...which is what most F100s were...the cheapest of the cheap!