• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 project

trevorJ93

Loc.
Portage, MI
I am thinking about putting a suspension lift on my almost stock bronco it currently is uncut and has a 2in body lift and a rebuilt 302 but the suspension is way to soft . I am 18 years old so have not messed with alot of suspsension components so am looking for other peoples oppinions but this is what I am thinking of doing.
Wild horse leaf springs and coils,
dual shock hoops in the front and bilstien shocks all the way around .
I am planning on lifting it 2.5" because I drive it down the road most of the time but I also take it to silverlake sand dunes so am looking for a all around good suspension. I was also woundering what size tires and rims people are running with this setup. thanks for the help

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Love the color. What is the code? What headlights did you get? Suspension lifts are easy, go with the 2.5" and some 33x10.5 tires.

rtreads

Loc.
Sounds like you are on track with the suspension lift. Though I would say if your going 2.5" you might as well go 3.5" and get a little more flex out of it.

Just my .02 but I would not install 2 shocks at each corner. I feel a single is enough until you get hardcore with you offroad needs.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good looking rig and welcome to CB, as for the lift its your Bronco do as you please but I wouldn't go with anything over 2.5" for a street rig, it keeps the center of gravity lower and will handle better. I think the perfect setup is 2.5" lift, Bilstien shocks, single fronts as stated, and front sway bar for the street, it will ride nice and have very little body roll. Then add a set of 33x10:50's and have fun. Once you get the susp lift on you may want to remove the body lift, I'm not a fan of them but a lot of guys like them for diff reasons.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice Bronco!! Ahhh silver lake love that place! Didn't make it up there this year, hopefully next year we will.
I would take the body lift off(not a big fan, hate the gap from bumper to body front and rear) and go with a 3.5 spring lift. I would buy from one of the vendors close by like James Duff or Bronco Graveyard they both have complete kits and shipping would be cheaper.
Or you could just sell me that Bronco :):) You don't drive that in the winter up there do you? That is a sweet looking rig.

frenchy

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Portage MI, thats around Kalamazoo isn't it? I'm having a bronco get together this sat at my place if you would like to come. I posted it here if you want to look it up. Should be a good turn out. PM me if you need my address.

frenchy

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
(hate the gap from bumper to body front and rear) me too it looks like a kid with short leg britches and hi-top tennis shoes on.I like the 2.5 sup myself.Like your color also and over all a clean lookin 77.

Gene

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're going to lift it, put larger tires on it, and play around in any sand dunes, I would seriously consider changing out the original (if it's still there) "Inverted-Y" steering linkages for some "Inverted-T" style of one type/brand or another. Lot of choices there, so there I go giving you more research to do!
But it'll be time well spent discussing steering with lift changes.

Nothing wrong with your stock setup with smaller tires and non-aggressive driving habits. It's just that, as with most things, the weak-links crop up more and more as you modify other aspects of the rig that effect steering.

Paul

OP
OP
trevorJ93

trevorJ93

Loc.
Portage, MI
Love the color. What is the code? What headlights did you getI am not sure of the color code of the truck i bought the truck painted and i put a new motor and drive line in it, the head lights i ordered form bronco graveyard after i Hit a deer and busted the stock ones they are alot brighter i also got the upgraded harness for the lights when i ordered them.
consider changing out the original (if it's still there) "Inverted-Y" steering linkages for some "Inverted-T" style of one type/brand or another.I have looked in to this and was thinking about changing this also just have not decided what one to go with like you said more research
You don't drive that in the winter up there do you? That is a sweet looking rig.Thank you and no i do not drive this in the winter , winter is the time it gets its upgrades like this year the lift.
Not a lot of people are saying alot about the dual shocks in the front, the only reason i was thinking about doing this is because i have a lot of body roll and i had read in one of the Vendors catalogs that they reduce body roll... thoughts ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevorJ93

trevorJ93

Loc.
Portage, MI
I also understand about what people are saying with the body lift and the gap between the bumpers and body but i have modifed it so that the bumbers and body gap are a stock looking gap