• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1st time to change clutch.

vbro

I tried searching for post but couldn't find any. SO..I'm assuming that if i look in the Chilton's guide it will be strait forward. If not, is there any querks I should know about?

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Yep, it's easy... I jumped right into my first one by myself never having done anything like that before, it's very straight up. Rent a tranny jack, it'll make life easier.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
definitely get a tranny jack. It will make life much easier. Start taking out bolts and ask questions along the way. Many of us have done this more times than we care to count. I have done my tranny on my EB at least 3 times.

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Good quality clutch (luk,centerforce)<br>new pressure plate and new throwout bearing<br>Get the flywheel resurfaced.<br><br>will take a little while longer, but it's like putting new calipers on old rotors, it'll wear faster and you'll have less surface contact for good lockup.

OP
OP
vbro

vbro

[quote author=Allen_69 link=board=5;threadid=13934;start=0#104710 date=1044305139]<br>Good quality clutch (luk,centerforce)<br>new pressure plate and new throwout bearing<br>[/quote]I was thinking of buying from NAPA. Is that OK for a DD?<br>

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Make sure you get the flywheel surfaced and if it has been surfaced before, make sure the pressure plate bolts aren't too long. LUK's are good clutches by the way.

dennish

If it's a three speed don't forget to make the little chingadera that holds the tranny in gear... thus preventing the needle bearings from coming out of the input shaft and therefore complete disassembly/severe cursing. Actually you can use a zip tie on the lever arms to accomplish the same thing as the tool illustrated in the manuals. Not sure if this is a necessity on other manuals.<br>Also, depending on how flat your workspace is , how many helping hands you have, and if you remove as a whole tranny/x-case assembly, you can cut down some threaded rod that is the same thread pitch as your bell housing bolts, and then use them as "guides" to slide the whole tranny/x-case assembly into place.<br>Might as well replace the pilot bushing and look at those transfer case bushings as well.<br><br><br>

67ster

Bronco Guru
Make SURE you use the proper shoulder bolts on the clutch cover , a standard capcrew doesn't have that shoulder and the cover will "walk around ". Also tighten them progressively in a circle to avoid springing the cover . Have fun !!

OP
OP
vbro

vbro

Anyone ever use or hear of Power Torque clutches?