• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2.5" Lift Kit

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Hello All,

I am currently looking at a 2.5" lift kit for sale for my '73. The owner has sent pictures and it looks like the rear leafs, front coils, u-bolts, and associated plates. Obviously, I would need some appropriate shocks, but I'm not familiar with what else I would need. Could anyone else help me with a list? I don't know if the radius arms, tie rods, etc. would need relocation or if brake lines would need lengthening. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

aisawalsh

I would think the easiest way would be to look at a 2.5 lift kit from any of the major bronco companies and see what parts are listed in their kits.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey joebronco, welcome to classicbroncos. Well, a little late maybe, as it looks like you've been posting a bit already, but not sure if I'd said anything before.

Can you show us pics of what is being sold? Or give a full description of brand and age and such? Specifically the rear springs are the most important part that might have changed, or even if not older, can still make or break your happiness with the product.

Other than that info, a lot depends on what you intend to do with the Bronco. A 2.5" height increase is a great look for the EB's, and can perform very well too.

If no off-roading is in your future, then you probably do not need longer brake hoses for the axles. But if you need to replace yours anyway, due to age or damage, then getting the slightly longer ones for a lift would be prudent.

You don't "need" to change the steering linkage, but here again, if you're going to for age or damage reasons, most definitely upgrade to a beefier, better and just more adjustable setup such as this: (shameless plug to follow) http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tie_Rod_Drag_Link_3way_Adjustable_6675yr
Depends too on what size tire and wheel combo you're planning.

Power steering or no? If not, in the near future perhaps? This can determine the C-bushing offset to get.
You should replace the C-bushings up front while you're at the suspension lift, but if yours have already been done, well, that might or might not make a difference.
For a '73 with power steering though, I would put 7° bushings in even with just a 2.5" lift.

The steering linkage mentioned above gets you an adjustable draglink, which is something I consider a critical component. A not-quite-as-critical, but still good to have component would be an adjustable trackbar.
Not required, but a nice way to perfectly center your axle if the drop bracket doesn't do it.

And speaking of which... Even though most still consider a dropped pitman arm and dropped trackbar bracket non-essential until you get to 3.5" of lift, I recommend them. You can still feel the difference a 2.5" lift makes on the street (don't feel it on the trail, just the street) and these two components are there to correct that.
And if you're more used to newer vehicles and not older trucks, you'll appreciate this.
Sounds like you've had EB's before though, so likely you're famiilar with how they drive.

To the shocks, again it depends on what you want to accomplish and what your budget is. Right now, for my money and because WE sell them at WH so I don't know the same detail of other brands, I can happily recommend the slightly more expensive Bilstein shocks over our own brand and the Ranchos we sell.
They seem custom tailored to our lifts and 2.5" road manners. More than our own shocks, but still $15 less per shock than the Rancho 9000's, they're a great bang-for-the-buck product.

So that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Any further info needs more info on your part. Let us know what you're wanting to do, and what exactly you're looking at buying.

That's about it.

Paul

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Both valid points. I can try posting a picture, but I think I also need to take a look at what else is missing/included with this kit.

Paul, thank you for your input. I currently have the stock power steering on it, while looking at mounting some 33's on as well. I don't recall if I had replaced the brake lines already, but I think I have. I have owned this Bronco for about 10 years now and it was my first vehicle, so this is a project I have worked on (on and off) for years now. I think it will see a little trail driving, but most will be on road, so it sounds like I should look into the options you listed for driving comfort and stability.

Marshall

Hi joebronco, I just got done putting a 2 " lift on mine. (Not a 2-1/2) but I can tell you I ended up going with the add a leaf kit and new front springs and new shocks. I didn't have to do anything else. Made it so I didn't have to worry about extending anything or do anything to radius arms.

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Marshall, you said it was a kit? I've got a local shop that specializes in that exact kind of thing, so I've been thinking of doing that too. What did it cost, if you don't mind my asking?

Marshall

Cost

I got mine from a guy who bought a kit but wanted to go bigger, so I got it pretty cheap. I had looked into the kits for a couple years though and couldn't bring myself to pull he trigger on the purchase, because I just wasn't sure I would get much bang for my buck looks wise.

I was looking mainly at the 2-1/2 kit from bronco graveyard

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/25-Superflex-Lift-Kit-System-1976-77/productinfo/13742/

I think this is the one I was going to get, but I found the add a leaf kit on here from a member. It had the add a leaf and I was skeptical at first, but it worked wonders for mine. Put the new shocks on too.

you may just look on here and find a package u never know. Mine was about a two and a half hour drive away but it worked out. Might save some cash not sure what your situation is.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
You can think of the lift as the parts for the front and the rear.

Front-
coil springs get you the lift.
C bushing kit sets the correct angle of the diff.
Adjustable track bar (what I went with) to center the diff under the frame properly.
Shocks.

Rear-
Leaf springs.
New U bolts.
You can also replace all the hanger bushings.
Shocks.

I went with the Wild Horses 2.5" lift and 1" body lift. But also in doing my build I replaced everything regarding suspension and steering. I am very, very happy with my Bronco's ride and stance. And everything I needed came in the kit and it was sort of a no brainer install. I've found over the years it's worth spending a little more for something quality, the install goes smoothly and the results are great and the money is well spent and you just use your truck for many years.

Marshall

Here is my 2" suspension lift with 1" body
image.jpg2_zpsfvyia6ur.jpg

It was perfect for me but everyone has their own tastes.

This is what it looked like with just a 1" body lift, before the suspension lift.
image.jpg1_zpsemcvwses.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Marshall, I have seen that kit as well. The kit I am looking at doesn't have the bushings or shocks, but the guy is selling it for ~$100, so I may have to just go for it and deal with parts accordingly. Your Bronco is pretty bitchin' though. That is about the height/look I am going for, since it won't see a lot of trail action, but is sitting completely stock (as far as the suspension goes).

JAFO, that list helps. I know there are certain pieces I will have to go out and get myself, but that makes the decision easier. I won't be worried about missing something (or actually missing something) when it is time to mount.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
JAFO, that list helps. I know there are certain pieces I will have to go out and get myself, but that makes the decision easier. I won't be worried about missing something (or actually missing something) when it is time to mount.

Was hoping it helped clear things up. I know when I first started digging into redoing my whole chassis it was initially very confusing. One thing I forgot, that I bought from a local 4x4 shop, are the shims to change the angle of the rear diff, so that the angle the drive shaft has to make isn't so severe. You just install these between the axle housing and leafs and it results in the pinion being pointed a little more upwards towards the Xfer case. Longer bolts come with them to replace what is currently bolted through the leafs. Though ended up my new leafs had long enough bolts and I just added in the shims.

Like these...

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...-FIFjg&zenid=8cdb7fa19d2ede239fdef904cb938022

2.5" suspension, 1" body lift...

20160601_090111_zps9ibn6yjv.jpg

Paint looks darker on a cloudy day...
IMG_1813_zps6avgk2gp.jpg

Lee Couch

Just bought a uncut, stock height 1972 EB. Trying to decide how much to lift it. Just lifting for looks, but I think I like the 2 1/2" suspension and 1" body. But right now I need tires for it. Any idea the tallest tire that will fit on an uncut-stock height EB?

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Just bought a uncut, stock height 1972 EB. Trying to decide how much to lift it. Just lifting for looks, but I think I like the 2 1/2" suspension and 1" body. But right now I need tires for it. Any idea the tallest tire that will fit on an uncut-stock height EB?

I have 31 x 9.50 on mine, but I wasn't looking for the biggest that would fit either.

This link was in another thread....

http://www.builtfords.com/BF1/What_Fits.html

OP
OP
joebronco73

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
JAFO - Have you had any experience with the 2.5" lift kits from JBG? They are significantly cheaper, since they are the "add a leaf" style in the rear. I don't know how I feel about it, since it seems like a shortcut way to add to your suspension.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/25-Deluxe-Lift-Kit-1966-75/productinfo/13710/

Lee - I have cut fenders, but 31x10.50's fit fine under my stock height suspension. I have heard 33's are as big as you would want to go with stock, but I don't know for sure. I am about to move to some 235/75R15's, so I will post pics, once those are mounted.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Hey Lee, welcome to classicbroncos, and congrats on your '72 as well!
I think these days most people love the look of 2.5 with or without the 1" body lift, but a little more for the additional 1" when all is said and done.
It's a very clean look on an uncut.

As we've discussed many many times (you'll find lots of discussions about it with varying degrees of answers that apply to you), wheel offset plays a crucial role in what fits and what hits. So don't ignore that if you're also going to purchase wheels.

If just the stock wheels, then 31's JAFO is talking about would work. As they would with narrow or highly offset wheels that keep them tucked under the rear fenders.
Anything bigger and you run the risk even of rubbing in the front until the lift kit is installed. Easy to fit with the right decisions up front, easy to hit with the wrong decisions.
The good news is that 31's still look decent even after the lift.

Good luck. Just as important a pair of decisions as paint color!

Paul

DaveLev

Which system you go with really depends on 2 things:

1.) What size tire do you intend to use; and
2.) How do you intend to use your Bronco

Once you figure these out, you'll get a wide variety of opinions. There are bargain techniques to lifting a rig, and there are entire suspension 'solutions' out there sold by racers like James Duff (http://www.dufftuff.com), and everything in between. Happy shopping!