• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 part Rear Main keeps blowing

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
End play .004-.008. Up and down clearance exceeding .0035 is a problem IMO if its a new motor. More than this and you will usually notice oil pressure start to drop off some when hot.

Last edited:

fablife

Thank you webmaster for taking that post down from Grumpy Stilstkin! I'm not stupid or dumb, I'm busy with a big job, 2 young kids, a wife and an old Bronco. I come on here because it's full of people who are passionate about Broncos and are (usually) willing to share their knowledge and foster the enthusiasm we all have for this hobby. I'm sure everyone on here has had to do over something in their rig, even if they DO have "the book" and can read.

Sorry for being a noob, but don't waste your time criticizing me, waste your time getting a life.

hey fasterEddie, I thought that was intended for me.. anyway, you handled it well.. good luck again, JD

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Thank you webmaster for taking that post down from Grumpy Stilstkin! I'm not stupid or dumb, I'm busy with a big job, 2 young kids, a wife and an old Bronco. I come on here because it's full of people who are passionate about Broncos and are (usually) willing to share their knowledge and foster the enthusiasm we all have for this hobby. I'm sure everyone on here has had to do over something in their rig, even if they DO have "the book" and can read.

Sorry for being a noob, but don't waste your time criticizing me, waste your time getting a life.

Faster Eddie,
I'm not sure what happened or who said what after I posted on your oil leak but obviously someone wasn't being nice, sorry that had to happen. Anywho, I was just checking back to see if you had any success and found the "Grumpy Stilstkin" thing.... I had mentioned in my post about staggering the seal so it's seam wasn't in line with the parting line between the block and main cap and prepared a sketch to show what I meant. You probably got it from the wording but I'm a fan of photos, sketches, etc to help with verbal explanations and took a little time to offer you one

Let us know how it works out

DJs74

Attachments

• 2 piece seal.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
DJs74, it wasn't you. When I logged in yesterday am someone had written how they were fed up with noobs wasting his time by posting the same old stuff, who didn't have the book and if they had but couldn't understand it, that wasn't his fault...

Most everyone is awesome!!

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Thanks a million for the sketch. That's what I pictured. Gonna try it again tomorrow, but we may have more than .0035 play on that crank. My buddy who is helping frowned when I told him the tolerance. He hasn't stuck a feeler in there yet while trying to move it up n down, but if it is too sloppy, is there anything obvious or easy we should check for to tame it down? Or am I staring over with a new block?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Thanks a million for the sketch. That's what I pictured. Gonna try it again tomorrow, but we may have more than .0035 play on that crank. My buddy who is helping frowned when I told him the tolerance. He hasn't stuck a feeler in there yet while trying to move it up n down, but if it is too sloppy, is there anything obvious or easy we should check for to tame it down? Or am I staring over with a new block?

The thrust bearing (the widest main bearing located in the middle of the crank) is responsible for crank travel forward & backward. If you have too much end play, first check the thrust bearing and see what's going on there. I have had to take material off of them before because I wasn't getting enough travel.

Good luck,

DJs74

spray1963

Loc.
Boca Raton,FL
I am reassembling a 302 now for my sons build. Did you use sealer on the flywheel/flexplate bolt threads? These are drilled through the crank flange and will leak if not sealed. Not gushing oil but a drip out of the bell housing.

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Not sure spray1963, I am the noob helper, my buddy did most of the rebuild. Appreciate the help though, I'll ask him.

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
I'm trying to scrounge a spare c4 bell housing from around town so we can do the seal a third time and watch what happens without the tranny in the way

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
There isn't too much play in the crank but, the oil slings are worn down and smoothed out where the oils seal was riding on the crank. Going to put a Micro Sleeve on it. It arrives Monday.

Attachments

• CRank.jpg
    CRank.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 38
  • crank2.jpg
    crank2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Got underneath and tried to fit a 1/1000 micro sleeve around the crank. Didnt get it square and FUBAR'd my sleeve up.

Anyone have tips or tricks on how to line these suckers up from underneath the rig?

OP
OP
Faster Eddie

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
Finally! Got the sleeve on, resealed according to forum buddies instruction, and NO LEAKS!! Thanks everyone!