• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 Terminal Horn wiring for aftermarket column w/ relay?

1buckeyefan1

So i'm a little stumped on how to wire up my horn button. I'm using a Flaming River tilt column (1 wire plunger through canceling cam), painless harness w/ horn relay (pictured). I had an older Scott drake steering wheel + 2 terminal horn button that I'd like to use.

I have double terminals on the rear of the horn button. I believe this is to be used for non-relay horn setups (1 power, 1 ground.. that was attached to the wheel). Can I use this with my 1-wire relay setup? Based on the threads i've read, I simply need to ground out to activate the relay in order to activate my horn? However, I tried both terminals last night and couldn't get any honk-honk sounds?

Attachments

• horn front.jpg
    horn front.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 15
  • horn relay.jpg
    horn relay.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 21
  • horn wire.jpg
    horn wire.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 20
  • horn back.jpg
    horn back.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 19

BanditBronco

I didn't dig too far into this, I have only wired one horn with a relay, but did you try grounding out both terminals on the horn button? As in jumper from one to the other then connect to the column wire? Also did you confirm that the system works if say you had a one wire horn button? So, in its current configuration if you ground out the column wire, do you get honk honk sounds?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Basically one horn button wire is connected to ground, underneath one of the steering wheel adapter bolts.
Other horn button connects to plunger on turn signal switch.
The wire out the bottom of the column that is connected to the plunger is used to activate (ground) relay coil.

Did Painless harness come with a schematic?
Need a view of relay connections with wire colors.

What turn signal switch does Flaming River column use?
Need schematic of its connections & wire colors.

2023-01-09_115814.jpg

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Old-timer, thanks for the advice and diagram. That's all it was...I forgot my ground wire attached to the adapter. I even found it in my wire bin. Once I hooked it back up, all is good. Thx!

Attachments

• PXL_20230109_234745704.jpg
    PXL_20230109_234745704.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 8