• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2000 Explorer swap, fuel system is returnless?

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
Hey guys,

I'm getting to the point of starting the Turd for the first time very soon...does anyone know if the 2000 V8 Explorer fuel system is returnless?

I have both the feed and the return run all the way to the engine compartment and I have the fuel supply terminated at the fuel rail, but where does the vent or return line go??? I only remember one line coming from the fuel tank on the donor...

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I do believe they are return less. Othersa can verify but my understanding is you will need a fuel rail from a 95-97 explorer

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It is returnless.
You can run a divorced pressure regulator like the MSD-2222 and keep the returnless rail.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is returnless.
You can run a divorced pressure regulator like the MSD-2222 and keep the returnless rail.

Or run the 2000 Explorer intank fuel pump assembly which has the pressure regulator built in. I believe that the returnless systems run about 65 psi rail pressure. The injectors are different (white) and the PCM opperates differently. The older return type systems are pretty pressure sensitive. The regulator on the rail maintains pressure relitive to the intake manifold pressure. (35-40psi) The newer systems just run a higher pressure and monitor it on the fly for calculating the correct injector pulse.

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
OP
OP
76MaBronco

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
Hmm...Okay. Well I have the Duff's (NWMP) 23 gallon tank and a Mustang pump (no regulator). So I need a regulator?

This one (the MSD-2222) looks like it has a port for a pressure gauge...$100 :eek::eek::eek:

121-2222.jpg

I spoke (typed) before I looked at the data...that barbed fitting is to make it a return-type regulator...

(Sigh, pulls out wallet %) )

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can also run a regulator pre-fuel rail and return from that location.

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
I don't think the explorer sending unit/pump will work in a 23 gallon tank...won't reach to the bottom

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When I did the 5.0 into the Ranger years ago I hade the returnless rail. I put the regulator near the master cylinder. Off the regulator is the return line. If you are not familer with the regulator it is a little different then the one on the shop air compressor. It is a relief valve. Once pressure is reached, excess flow (and pressure) is vented off via the return line. So the regulator doesn't need to be after the injectors, just somewhere in the fuel line between the pump and the injectors. Up in the engine compartment is nice as you run a shorter (faster responding) injector pressure differential compensation line (vacuum line) to hold a constant pressure drop across the injector.